Ballistic Help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e_stallman

Reaction score
I am still very new to muzzleloading, only been shooting for a year now. I have a question about the Hornady Ballistic Calculator. I am shooting a .45 cal .452 300 gr XTP in Harvester crush rib sabots with 150 gr white hot pellets. My gun is a .50 cal CVA Mt rifle. I have a Bushnell trophy DOA 250 mounted on it. It shoots very well and I am getting 1" groups at 100 yards off my lead sled. I feel like after a year of trying things this is the set up I like best. Now I want to see my ballistics.

My question is how do I come up with my Ballistics for my set up? A key number for entering the data is the "Velocity". I do not know where to find it at.

Thank for any help!!

e_stallman said:
I am still very new to muzzleloading, only been shooting for a year now. I have a question about the Hornady Ballistic Calculator. I am shooting a .45 cal .452 300 gr XTP in Harvester crush rib sabots with 150 gr white hot pellets. My gun is a .50 cal CVA Mt rifle. I have a Bushnell trophy DOA 250 mounted on it. It shoots very well and I am getting 1" groups at 100 yards off my lead sled. I feel like after a year of trying things this is the set up I like best. Now I want to see my ballistics.

My question is how do I come up with my Ballistics for my set up? A key number for entering the data is the "Velocity". I do not know where to find it at.

Thank for any help!!
Your load should be in the neighborhood of 2050 FPS + or -.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If a chrono is not in your future, you could sight in dead-on at 100yds then shoot at 200yds with the same POA, measure the distance between the two groups and work the ballistics program backwards. If you dig thru the internet, you may find some velocity readings to see if your close.

e_stallman said:

Thank for any help!!

My guess is the velocity would be around 1900+fps.

Here is a sheet computed shooting 120grs. of loose T7 which could be very close to your pellet load...

300120T7.jpg

Thank you all very much! I know that was my first post but I have been a reader of this forum for a while. I have found so many answers and a ton of help from all of you. Thanks again!!

This is the info from a Barnes bullet pack. I have chronograph some of the loads listed and they are in the ballpark.
34372934d19135f32b499c197a001b1f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tell you what since there is all this guessing. White Hots and Blue MZ are the same stuff. The MSDS and patent numbers confirm it. I would be massively surprised if you got anywhere hear 2100fps with a 300gr bullet and 3 pellets.

Since Alliant does list 3 pellet load data with a 300gr. Here is their guess.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/downloads/ ... _loads.pdf

1940fps with a Harvester Crushrib sabot from a 24" test barrel. 1 extra inch of barrel is worth around 20-25fps.

Latest posts

Back