Banning trail cams.........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cameras are OK for now, nothing pending that I know of.
No baiting allowed in VA, but food plots are. Agriculture field's are okay to.
The idea that using a corn feeder is wrong but hunting over a food plot specifically planted to attract deer is ok just proves that the “rule makers” have no idea what they’re doing. Baiting is baiting whether it’s a corn/protein feeder or a food plot.:wall:

The idea that using a corn feeder is wrong but hunting over a food plot specifically planted to attract deer is ok just proves the “rule makers” have no idea what they’re doing. Baiting is baiting whether it’s a corn/protein feeder or a food plot.:wall:
I always push the concept of stop clueless law makers from making clueless laws or stop them from ruling over you to begin with.

Laws are written solely by which legislator can be influenced.

In Texas a large land owner was having problems with trespassers who were hunting. He went to his local legislator and he wrote a bill which made it a "felony" if caught trespassing with a firearm. It's now a law. Not that I disagree, but that is how things are done.

I've been using trailcams for several years. I have several set out. They are all static/non-cellular. My hunting property is a three hour drive from my home.
I cannot say they have ever helped me bag a particular buck. It just gives me a glimpse at what is on my property. And I mean "whatever" is there. Without the trailcams I would not have known I have bobcats roaming around. My wife and I have a good time looking through the photos after I swap the SD Cards.

I've been using trailcams for several years. I have several set out. They are all static/non-cellular. My hunting property is a three hour drive from my home.
I cannot say they have ever helped me bag a particular buck. It just gives me a glimpse at what is on my property. And I mean "whatever" is there. Without the trailcams I would not have known I have bobcats roaming around. My wife and I have a good time looking through the photos after I swap the SD Cards.

I enjoyed mine as well :lewis: We use to have a HUGE population of Moose here, I caught some Really Big Bulls on it, Along with a few Black Bears that were BOONERS! LOTS of Deer, With some real Dandy Bucks. My Camera is severely Outdated (Leupold RX) I have contemplated getting another one Simply for the Excitement/Enjoyment of what i might catch on it? It was always Exciting to Hike in and Check my Camera, Never knowing what i might have on it?

This was a Good Buck i caught on my Old Camera, These Pics didn’t do him ANY Justice, I seen him through my Binos at First light 1 Morning, He was a STUD for around here :lewis: High 150s, Low to Mid 160s
XHcmwco.jpg

JwwauXV.jpg

Like Virginia, baiting is illegal in Iowa yet food plots are fine. And what is the idea of food plots? Bait the deer, of course. Makes political sense, I guess.

I hunt over corn or soy bean crops, no difference than in the forrest over acorns or any food source.
If you hunt the trails which lead to food sources deer will come by eventually. One has to be smart to get a shot at a deer or whatever your hunting. Tag soup isn't very filling!

Like Virginia, baiting is illegal in Iowa yet food plots are fine. And what is the idea of food plots? Bait the deer, of course. Makes political sense, I guess.

I struggle with the fine distinction between food plots and bait. In Indiana food plots are legal. So is hunting over standing corn or beans or hunting in an apple orchard. If it's there you can hunt over it. You just aren't allowed to pack it in to your hunting site.

I believe some of the baiting issues may be associated with diseases. Where food plots in general are larger areas where close contact (nose to nose) is less of an issue. Bait piles on the other hand create nose to nose contact. Scientists and/or state Veterinarians believe, in most cases, that disease can be spread at higher levels through nose to nose contact using bait piles.

For a short time, before baiting ban, the rule specified how much (or little) you could put out and how wide it should be spread. I believe it was specifically intended to decrease that nose-to-nose feeding. Maybe the ban is working, idk. The number of cases of cwd and bTB are very low now, according to the last report i read

I believe some of the baiting issues may be associated with diseases. Where food plots in general are larger areas where close contact (nose to nose) is less of an issue. Bait piles on the other hand create nose to nose contact. Scientists and/or state Veterinarians believe, in most cases, that disease can be spread at higher levels through nose to nose contact using bait piles.
I agree that this is probably the “logic”, but I see a lot of people on hunting forums who condemn “baiting” but yet plant food plots themselves. I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy in the hunting community. Personally, I don’t have a problem with how anyone hunts as long as it’s legal.
As the saying goes...you do you boo boo.

Not sure about the CWD rates but the bTB rates have slowly started going back down after they eliminated the APR crap in the core area. They run the trial and the incident rate went up quickly, so they dropped it. 4yr trial that failed. Russ Mason and Schmitz failure.
The bTB rate is still high enough in the core area, that they are still utilizing sharpshooters to thin the numbers.

Hunting is already expensive and time consuming enuff without having to buy the deer breakfast, lunch and dinner and take their fotos. Or becoming a farmer and tending crops for them. I prefer to just get out and scout for sign and just stalk around or sit and wait and hope i guessed well. Not that im against bait and food plots, just that i dont feel like it. My trail cameras are mainly used to find out whats been tearing up my trash at nite. Its aways that dang trash panda(aka:raccoon)

Baiting is illegal here but I've never heard of it being enforced.

A friend of mine uses trail cameras to pattern deer over a long period so he knows which stand to sit in and what time they generally come.

I'm backwards, I don't use TC anymore and I'm happy to not. I like that the deer I hunt are not patterned by me using technology and its up to my knowledge of the animals to find out what is there and how to get it.

Mind you I have used them in the past and got some interesting photos.

Stag standoff.JPG

Wild pig.JPG

One Antlered stag coming in for drink.JPG

Back