• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WANTED/ISO Bare primer 209 conversion for BH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry Miles

Reaction score
ISO a bare primer 209 conversion for a Knight Big Horn. Are there any out there?

No such animal or at least not many were made before Knight stopped offering bare primers plugs for plunger guns. Just because its bare primer does not make it BH209 ready.

This has nothing to do with BH209, just the 209 primer conversion w/o the plastic jacket. They made plenty of these, I have one already on a Big Horn. BH209 didn't exist when I bought these rifles.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with BH209, just the 209 primer conversion w/o the plastic jacket. They made plenty of these, I have one already on a Big Horn. BH209 didn't exist when I bought these rifles.

The title of your original post suggests a bare primer for use with BH 209.

At one time Knight did offer a bare primer system for their plunger rifles. You may be able to find on the internet someplace. Knight still offers the FPJ system for use. I believe they quit the production of the bare primer system due to 'Liability/safety' concerns with the blow back effects of the load you choose to shoot.

A friend of mine bought a new Big Horn 5 yrs ago and it came with 3 breech plugs, a bare primer, a FPJ, and a # 11.

BH stands for Big Horn in my post title. No suggestion made about BH209. I know plunger rifles were not designed for BH209. I'm simply hoping someone on the forum has one to sell...

BH stands for Big Horn in my post title. No suggestion made about BH209. I know plunger rifles were not designed for BH209. I'm simply hoping someone on the forum has one to sell...

OK that makes good sense - now! thanks for the clarification.

I assume you have the 209 hammer?

No, but I can modify the flat face plunger/hammer to accommodate the 209 primer but would buy the whole assy if available.

No, but I can modify the flat face plunger/hammer to accommodate the 209 primer but would buy the whole assy if available.

Well the hammer assembly is available from Knight and other places but it would come with a FPJ breech plug. Which would work well for a BP's and subs - except BH-209

The 1 rifle I have with the non FPJ setup shoots like a laser beam with T7, black Hornady sabots and 275gr Barnes TSX bullets. I don't want to have to mess w/FPJ primer holders. That's why I'm hoping someone has the original conversion to let go of.

I shoot BH209 in my Omega with the same bullet/sabot.

I've passed up quite a few FPJ conversions.

Latest posts

Back