Barnes 10mm 155gr.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBAhunter

Reaction score
Anybody use these before for deer? Terminal damage? I have shot them. They are accurate. Just never shot a deer with one. I was gonna do a test in wet cardboard to see how they do.

Anybody use these before for deer? Terminal damage? I have shot them. They are accurate. Just never shot a deer with one. I was gonna do a test in wet cardboard to see how they do.
What rifle are you shooting them with?

Yeah then I saw you sent him the 185gr! Have you harvested anything with those? I used that load a few years ago after surgery but never got a shot.

N110 with a lightly knurled Barnes 10mm 155gr in a HLBS with a Maine wad. You can look through the scope, line up reticle, pull trigger and a hole magically appears in the target. I'm thinking it would do well. I was curious about the terminal damage. I'm thinking it would be massive at <150 yards.

I could only find a 175gr in 30 cal but did see a 180gr .410 XPB. Out of stock of course.

Longrider, the 185 gr looks like it did quite well in LBAhunter's hunt and in Ron's testing. The 155 did just as well in Ron's testing so curiosity makes me wonder if it would do well in a hunting situation. 80grs(v) of BH209 or 777 I would think would work at 50yds or less which might be the ticket for my Optima 50 cal pistol. I'd have to set up my chrono and check the numbers to see if it was viable.

I am not recoil shy but as I get older (66) i sometimes need a less recoil option to appease my doc and the misses!

John

I could only find a 175gr in 30 cal but did see a 180gr .410 XPB. Out of stock of course.

Longrider, the 185 gr looks like it did quite well in LBAhunter's hunt and in Ron's testing. The 155 did just as well in Ron's testing so curiosity makes me wonder if it would do well in a hunting situation. 80grs(v) of BH209 or 777 I would think would work at 50yds or less which might be the ticket for my Optima 50 cal pistol. I'd have to set up my chrono and check the numbers to see if it was viable.

I am not recoil shy but as I get older (66) i sometimes need a less recoil option to appease my doc and the misses!

John

My main load as of now is N110 with a resized Barnes 41mag 180gr with HLBS and a Maine wad. It really doesn't need the wad so when I use them up probably won't get anymore. I want to try the Fury 41 210gr bullet because the Barnes bullet are getting hard to find. The Barnes 41 180gr will make 2 holes. I think the Fury 41 210gr will do just as good as the Barnes. Plus, it will be easier to find and cheaper.
I always had better luck with 45 cal bullets than 40 cal bullets in my Optima 50. I have thought the Barnes 185gr in Optima pistol would be ideal.

Last edited:
the 125 grain 40 count is on clearance for $27.95 . with a light blue sabot should that be flat easy load for paper and wood chucks at 200 yards ? maybe beyond ?

Back