Barnes TMZ 290 gr bullets?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a long time since I’ve seen them available anywhere.

Knight has some of the "non tipped" versions in 285 grain available. I have been using them for 15+ years and they are very good, fly straight and flat.

Hoping to get picked for an elk hunt in Utah this year. Heard good things about them for elk.

Only shot conicals for the last 35 years. This will be my first attempt with sabots.

My local Sportsman’s had some last time I looked. Maybe check their website?

I ordered some TEZ 250 .50 before Christmas when they were on sale at Midway. They ran out, but I just got them last week. Get on their notify list.

I've tried other bullets but the 250 and 290 grain TEZ do their job well. For elk, I push the 290 with almost max load of Blackhorn 209 and the MV is right around 2000 fps. I used it on my last elk hunt 2 months ago. The 6X6 bull never took another step after the first shot but just to be sure another shot was sent since it was still standing. That knocked him over. The bullet started out at 290 grains but ended up weighing exactly 200 grains when recovered (pictured below). And with the combo of Blackhorn and the TEZ, reloading is a breeze . I shoot a .45 auto and as you know the nickname for that round is the "flying ashtray." This bullet sorta reminds me of it, just flies twice as fast....lol

Attachments

• IMG_20211201_145349.jpg
    IMG_20211201_145349.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 18
  • elk laying down.jpg
    elk laying down.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
When I was needing it I called all the local big sporting good stores every day. It maybe took a month but ended up with 4 bottles (10oz.) Just catching it before it's gone is luck.

Latest posts

Back