Barrel I.D. ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for clarification, the question was directed to fishhawk. Some of the early Whites were White Armstech's. The crown on the barrel pictured looks a lot like the crown on an old White Armstech Whitetail that I use to own. Doc told me it was probably a Criterion barrel.

Just for clarification, the question was directed to fishhawk. Some of the early Whites were White Armstech's. The crown on the barrel pictured looks a lot like the crown on an old White Armstech Whitetail that I use to own. Doc told me it was probably a Criterion barrel.
Thanks flounder . Im happy you were able to help him !!! I had no clue to what it was . My talents are in other areas . Im just tickled about the knowledge that is here among the DWB clan . Not only are you knowledgeable but also a tight group just like the rifles that are treasured . Honorable comes to mind . The DWB's are a living legend in the mz community . THAT , is priceless....
I am humbled to be here....

Nope, we are just a bunch of cheap, stubborn old pharts that like the feel of the recoil when you shoot big lead out from a muzzleloader.
Im in pretty good company then . Got a line on a 504 98 thats stainless and laminate -- we will see....

Did you say you were an engineer? How come you engineers make things so ongodly hard to work on?
Most of the time its not up to us believe it or not . Damn bean counters get involved ( made cheaper) and it gets farmed out to wanna be's . My favorite moto is K.I.S.S. , keep it simple Stupid !!!! Thats a note to self . Sometimes ya gotta get all fancy in order to do just tbat . So something is elegant in use or function . Many comprimises to consider . Trust me we really dont want to make thimgs tough . Its those damn bean counters !!!!

Most of the time its not up to us believe it or not . Damn bean counters get involved ( made cheaper) and it gets farmed out to wanna be's . My favorite moto is K.I.S.S. , keep it simple Stupid !!!! Thats a note to self . Sometimes ya gotta get all fancy in order to do just tbat . So something is elegant in use or function . Many comprimises to consider . Trust me we really dont want to make thimgs tough . Its those damn bean counters !!!!
Heres an example . On my swedged .388 pure lead , Snoover nosed , hollow pointed smooth sided then knurled sabot rounds for the 410 , i forgot to give you a detail that makes it possible to launch one that hard . Especially with 85grw of blackhorn . That is alot of crap to do by hand ,1 at a time , only to have it SLUMP really bad . Now ya gotta cut a stainless tube to length , slot it on 4 sides, crazy glue it. And put it in the bollow point . No more slump and boy will it shoot flat , fast , and destroy wet newspaper pretty damn deep while mushroming just beautifully . That is alot to put into even one bullet . The steps it takes to do that are expensive , too much for production , so now cheapen it up . Get the idea ??? All that so it would work beautiful , very elegant in function but its too expensive to make . Too much work , and everybody thought parker mh were alot !!! Kinda see what i mean ??? Its not easy most of the time .

Ia that an Armstech?
No, it' a White Super 91 .451. The rifle is probably first production run, serial # 3XX. It has the spring type action pin, large diameter hammer, and the Win m 70 safety. The trigger is NOT a Bold. Not sure who makes the trigger. The barreled action is different than later models, my other S91's barreled actions/stocks are not interchangable with this early .451.

View attachment 5880 View attachment 5881 Any ideas on this barrel. It's on an early S91 .451 with the Win m70 type safety.
That action looked familiar so i went back and found where id seen it before. June 29 , 2018 Sharpshooter posted a m90 on DWB . He didnt include any crown pics though . His was #4 prototype . I would think maybe theyre the same ? Possibly ? Might be easier to track down that way .....
It is unique and extremely cool !!! Both of them !!! Hope this helps , Bob .

Last edited:
Toytruck could you post pics of those hunter280man bullets you still have ??? Maybe even caliper them in the knurled and smooth areas if possible ??? Did he use pure lead ??? I dont cast but i can surely swedge some by hand then knurl them to fit my .4098 bore . I just dont know how big the straight shank should be before i knurl . That takes some time to figure out and if hunter280man put in the time and effort i know he knew where to start so he could finish it off knurling for best results . Thanks again !!! If not toytruck anybody else ???????
Toytruck dont worry about those pics . I found what i was after in a 2005 reply of hunter280man about his 390gr mag tips . 408 and knurl . Thanks anyhow.i have plenty of guinea piggin to do before Nov 15 opener !!! Kinda wanna go old school . Believe it or not !!! Begining to think you guys are contagious...... Alright Already !!!! so i went back and read my own writing ...if that wont convince me something is wrong oh boy !!!
.....The other bullet is ALOT OF WORK !!! .....BUT it did work.....(lol)

Last edited:
fishhawk 2700, I know it is a Super 91
Some of the early Whitetails and Super 91's bore the name Armstech.
Here is an example of a .504 Armstech Super 91:
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/winter-project-1.15405/#post-121308
Wish i knew how to post links . The one i found looks alot more like your action than the link you sent . Just sayin you need to find it then decide . Looks just like the hand built m90 that Doc made Just Before production began on the 91 . I mean EXACTLY !!!

I know which one you mean with the M90 that chet has. Same swing lock safety and same spring detent that holds the action in place. Doc changed the swing lock safety first and then changed to the screw detent that holds the action.
Here is a link to the M90 thread:
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/...eal-dwb’s-viewing-pleasure.32172/#post-258216

Pretty easy to post links, just copy the address and paste it in your post

I know which one you mean with the M90 that chet has. Same swing lock safety and same spring detent that holds the action in place. Doc changed the swing lock safety first and then changed to the screw detent that holds the action.
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/m90-for-you-real-dwb’s-viewing-pleasure.32172/#post-258216

Yep thats the one !!! As early as yours is it just makes sense to me . Its a dandy for sure !!! Have you 2 sbared pics and stuff ??? Might be worth a try .Kinda funny isnt it how computer challenged i is !!! Lol !!! Oh look im handicapped !!!!! Lmao !!!!!

Last edited:
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/m90-for-you-real-dwb’s-viewing-pleasure.32172/#post-258216

Geez i just thought you was fishhawk2700 !!! Im an airhead today !!! Too much candy standing guard last nite ......maybe....lmao....

Geez i just thought you was fishhawk2700 !!! Im an airhead today !!! Too much candy standing guard last nite ......maybe....lmao....
Thats funny sh#$ , i dont care who you are !!!!! Lmao..... EARTH TO SIDESHOW , COME IN SIDESHOW.....

Your link shows a "G" series Armstech. I've had a few "G" series Armstech rifles, but I've haven't seen a S91 Armstech. That would be another question for Doc. No big deal, just thought someone might recognize the barrel crown.
What he said.....thzats it im goin back to bed .

Latest posts

Back