Barrel length for turkey gun....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 870 Special Purpose Magnum with 22" barrel, shoot most turkey at 10-25 yards range. Using 3" shells of 4's or 5's. No need for expense shells.

Last edited:
I use a Full choke as I've found Extra Full at the range I shoot (10-25yds) pattern is about the size of a soft ball, makes it easy to miss a turkeys head.

I went from a Remington SP 10ga turkey gun 23 inch barrel. RR custom choke. I went to smaller guns.
Mossberg 500 410 TSS turkey gun. 24
Mossberg SA 410ga TSS turk gun 26
Mossberg SA 20ga turkey gun. 22 inch
All 3 shooting TSS. Indian Creek chokes .385 and a patternmaster 20ga.

I went from a Remington SP 10ga turkey gun 23 inch barrel. RR custom choke. I went to smaller guns.
Mossberg 500 410 TSS turkey gun. 24
Mossberg SA 410ga TSS turk gun 26
Mossberg SA 20ga turkey gun. 22 inch
All 3 shooting TSS. Indian Creek chokes .385 and a patternmaster 20ga.
I have been thinking of getting a smaller gun and rolling my own TSS.

I have been thinking of getting a smaller gun and rolling my own TSS.
That sounds like alot of work and time involved in rolling your own. With the costs associated with it and then the time put in. Is it really worth it? Now days with all the time constraints imposed on our daily lives leaving us very little free time. I guess for my free time I'd be doing something else. But to each their own and if your happy, I'm happy for you. I am by no means knocking what your thinking about doing at all. Thats why we are Americans and with that comes the freedom to do pretty much what we want within the law. So if your thinking about it, just do it Brother!!!

That sounds like alot of work and time involved in rolling your own. With the costs associated with it and then the time put in. Is it really worth it? Now days with all the time constraints imposed on our daily lives leaving us very little free time. I guess for my free time I'd be doing something else. But to each their own and if your happy, I'm happy for you. I am by no means knocking what your thinking about doing at all. Thats why we are Americans and with that comes the freedom to do pretty much what we want within the law. So if your thinking about it, just do it Brother!!!
Reloading like casting is a sport all it's own and independence from the masses and with components never be on waiting lists or out of stock lines. You make it and most times better than store bought ,kind of makes you proud knowing you caused the demise of a critter with something you made , again a sport that a lot of folks can't make or won't make time for. Glad I'm not one of those folks Spent 4 days at the range with a new rifle shootin 13+LBs /530 grains at a time /2LBs plus 1 1/2 Swiss and will do more after our Friday long range ,Never afford to shoot store bought and that's why it's a sport worth doing/Ed

Last edited:
Reloading like casting is a sport all it's own and independence from the masses and with components never be on waiting lists or out of stock lines. You make it and most times better than store bought ,kind of makes you proud knowing you caused the demise of a critter with something you made , again a sport that a lot of folks can't make or won't make time for. Glad I'm not one of those folks Spent 4 days at the range with a new rifle shootin 13+LBs /530 grains at a time /2LBs plus 1 1/2 Swiss and will do more after our Friday long range ,Never afford to shoot store bought and that's why it's a sport worth doing/Ed
I got tired of the factory stuff many years ago. That's why l started handloading. I like the versatility of it, purr like a kitten to roar like a lion.I enjoy handloading. Now after many years of handloading, I would never be satisfied with factory stuff.

Latest posts

Back