Barrel length for turkey gun....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had always used a Remington 870 with a 28'' barrel and an aftermarket extended choke. I was comfortable out to 40 yds using 3" turkey loads. However, I always liked the idea of getting a shorter gun for chasing birds and maneuvering in the blind. About 8 years ago I ended up buying a Mosberg 835 UltiMag with a 20" barrel. I put an Indian Creek choke on it. Using 3.5" Long Beard XR shells I am comfortable shooting out to 50 yds.
I have never tried any of the super expensive TSS or Apex type ammo loads. I am pretty sure I could extend my range even more with those type of ammos. I feel 50 yds is as far as I need to shoot. After all the name of the game is calling them in close to get a shot with a shotgun or bow. Not getting your shotgun shoot at centerfire distances. Other's opinions may vary.

Tightest pattern, most shot in load, always use Hevi-Shot for best penetration, BPS 10 gauge shoirt-barrelled "stalker" or 11-87 3" super full. Shoot the head, not the whole bird. Patterning board tells the story.

I have an 835 with several barrels 18" to 28" long, about 30 different constrictions/brands of choke tubes and probably 100+ excellent patterns that I've labeled and saved over the past 10 years.

The tightest pattern I ever got was with a 28" barrel and .690 to .705 extended choke tubes, using an experimental BH209 handload. At 21 yards (the length of my back lawn) this combination put the majority of 2&1/4 to 2&1/2 oz. of #4 lead shot thru one ragged hole a little larger than a golf ball. I've also gotten excellent results from other loads and barrel lengths.

I think barrel length is just one, and not necessarily the most important factor that affects performance. Matching the load, including shot cup and slit arrangement, to an individual barrel and choke tube is what produces the best patterns. Unfortunately (or luckily for me) this requires hundreds of tests shots at the pattern board. JMH.02

With all do respect a sportman should pattern their shotgun, choke, and several loads to fine the combination that performs best.

Example

20151215_100102.jpg88

I found using a full choke vs extra full choke better on turkey. Reason at forty yards my avg shots at turkey the extra full choke has a spread size of a hard ball which makes it very easy to miss. Full choke spread about 20".

I have all the gear except decoys to hunt turkeys but never tried it. When I was training GSP's I bought a NEF turkey gun that takes tubes. It was cheap enough that I did not mind dropping it to handle the dog. It came with a turkey tube, but I used a skeet over the dogs.
It is a 12 that takes 3.5" shells, but when I was playing with it, I found 3" patterned best. I still have a bunch of the shells it liked best. I have camo from bowhunting.
I have plenty of turkeys in the yard, and at sunup this morniung I was listening to them gobble from the tops of the trees. (yard is 40 acres)
Is there enough sport in this to spend $10.50 on a tag? I could probably buy a butterball for that.
My qualms are twofold. That single shot with a 3" shell beats the hell out of me, and secondly the wild turkeys do not look all that tasty.

That gun kills at both ends! I used to have one. I couldn’t handle the kick even with 3 inch. I had to get rid of it
And yes turkeys are very tasty. Especially the breasts. I cut them up in fingers and deep fry them. They are a lot more juicy than tame storebought ones imo. If you call one in and kill it you will be hooked it’s one of my favorite hints. Been doing it for 30 years

Maybe twenty years ago I was sitting on a hillside and a coyote walked in and bedded down about 15 to 20 yards away. I looked at him for a while, the wind was straight into his face and he was in front of me. I had that NEF, and thought about shooting him, but decided it would hurt me more than him. I yelled instead, and you never saw a more startled critter.

I had the same NEF single shot in 10 ga, and I was never brave enough to shoot it.

I had that NEF, and thought about shooting him, but decided it would hurt me more than him.

Its one shot, not like you're shooting a .458 off the bench. Go for it.

I used to deer hunt with a 300 weatherby mag. That gun kicked like a BB gun compared to that net 12 gauge. I am not kick sensitive at all the kick of that Nef shotgun is nearly unbearable. It will make you flinch.

After reading some of the answers. Many aren't understanding the question because only thinking barrel length and fixed choke. But question is about screw in chokes into length of barrel. To answer question is NO, barrel length is irrelevant with screw in chokes. But like some have said you need to pattern the gun with a few different shells and shot sizes. The choke that came with the gun is probably the tightest patterned choke you'll find for it. If your worried about the kick of the gun just shoot a 2 3/4" magnum load with 4,5,6, or 7's. Choose which one patterns the best at a distance your comfortable with and you'll be set. Gaurantee you once you've done it, your hooked for life. It's alot of fun trying to fool a bird with the brain the size of a pea. Not to mention eye sight as good as a Eagle. If they had a nose like a deer, you'd never get one!!! HAPPY HUNTING!!!!!

I know this forum is for “modern” muzzleloaders, but I just need to show you the pictures of my new to me, turkey gun, and the results after patterning it. It’s a flintlock, 69cal, shooting 1 3/4 oz of # 71/2
and #5 6D4F8D9A-49FA-4C10-B686-71354764871C.jpegshot over 90 grains FFG powder. This shot was from 30 yards. The gun has a jug choke, and that makes all the difference.

:2cool:
I know this forum is for “modern” muzzleloaders, but I just need to show you the pictures of my new to me, turkey gun, and the results after patterning it. It’s a flintlock, 69cal, shooting 1 3/4 oz of # 71/2
and #5 View attachment 20693shot over 90 grains FFG powder. This shot was from 30 yards. The gun has a jug choke, and that makes all the difference.
Ive got nothing but respect for you guys that take game with flintlock shotguns.:thumb:

I have a Remington 870 with a 28" barrel with built in full choke. Worked well for me, but when the turkey was 8 yards away, I missed. My pattern was too tight. Lots of folks shoot at 60 yards, but I've never tried more than aobut 30 yards.

Back