Barrel length for turkey gun....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBAhunter

Reaction score
Does barrel length play a part in how a turkey gun patterns or velocity? Shorter vs longer? 24 inch vs 28 inch? or Does it even matter?

Seems like the new turkey gun barrels are getting shorter. A few guns have 21 or 22 inch barrels.
My old Mossberg has a 24 inch barrel with a 1 inch extended choke tube.
I shot birds out to 40 yards with it.
I had a 28 inch barrel and shot birds out to about 65 yards with that one.
To me, a longer barrel will keep the shot string together longer distance. So I'd say at least a 24 inch barrel.

Simply put Velocity. Patterns are determined by ammo brand and manufacturer of the choke.
Keep barrel as short as possible . Easier to conceal and move. I’d suggest getting a Indian Creek brand turkey choke. Use TSS shot if in your budget. Longbeard does well.

For turkey hunters using tss I’ve seen shorter barrels actually shoot better patterns. Especially so in a 410 & 28ga. I like a 21-24” barrel.
21” is probably a perfect length for turkey guns

For turkey hunters using tss I’ve seen shorter barrels actually shoot better patterns. Especially so in a 410 & 28ga. I like a 21-24” barrel.
21” is probably a perfect length for turkey guns
Wonder why in 410 and 28 the shorter barrel patterns better?

How do you want to challenge yourself as a hunter? Will you want a 20 yard shot, 40 yard shot, or even a 60 yard shot. The gun needs to match your level of challenge. A .177 pellet gun works at 18 yards.
The challenge isn’t the shot

it’s calling in him and letting the air outta him

the shot just seals the deal and let’s me know it’s over

I know an older gentleman who was new at turkey hunting. He was a pretty fair caller with a box call. His biggest problem was that he carried an old Mossberg pump with a 18 1/2 " barrel. He liked it because it was light but he could never hit a bird with it.
After a few seasons of misses, he finally got a longer barrel and started connecting.

I usually pick out where I'm going to set down first. Then set the hen and jake decoy at 20 steps and rarely ever shoot until he is beside the decoys and most of the time he will be eye to eye with the jake decoy. Mostly use a Remington with 22in barrell and haven't found a tube yet that is better then the Remington Turkey Full that it came with. WInchester Long Beard #5's pattern well to 50 yards but have never shot at a turkey that far.
Can't afford the TSS!!
You just have to love turkeys!!

The challenge isn’t the shot

it’s calling in him and letting the air outta him

the shot just seals the deal and let’s me know it’s over
The challenge is getting myself calmed down enough to make the shot....lol....

perhaps we misunderstand each other. If I need to call one within 20 yards to kill it I think I have met my challenge at calling.

I know an older gentleman who was new at turkey hunting. He was a pretty fair caller with a box call. His biggest problem was that he carried an old Mossberg pump with a 18 1/2 " barrel. He liked it because it was light but he could never hit a bird with it.
After a few seasons of misses, he finally got a longer barrel and started connecting.
Sounds like he either couldn't shoot or he needed to pattern the gun. Before I hunt with any gun (rifle or shotgun)I know where its hitting.. After a few seasons of misses???? Man, talk about a slow learner!!!!

Ive hunted turkeys for 30 years or more. Ive used a few different guns but .....chokes do matter. Barrel length not as important. The best one I ever did was at 10 feet. The bird came in silently behind my tree. I was resting with the gun on my knee ...I glanced to the right as I heard a scratching noise. I looked back strait ahead and he was there. I never saw him move in front of me or heard him either. He looked right at me at eye level. I just squeezed the trigger. Its all about patience.

Latest posts

Back