beagles/410 pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got my limit on cottontail today with my small pack of beagles on public land. great day! I've been trying to do this with this pistol for 3 yrs.
Great looking dogs! Wife and I were reminiscing about our last Beagle, Belle... what a great little hunter she was and my little buddy. Miss the little delinquent...

got my limit on cottontail today with my small pack of beagles on public land. great day! I've been trying to do this with this pistol for 3 yrs.

I use to have & Hunt Beagles on the Wa coast, what a BLAST that was!! I grew up in a Hound hunting family, The little beagles came natural :lewis: I use to hunt on a Navy Base on Whidbey Island, Nothing like listening to a Few Beagles work a Rabbit!:lewis: Thanks for sharing

I will be 54 yrs old here in a few weeks. have had beagles since I was a kid. we always had a beagle when I was a kid, some hunted good some didnt. but have had my own small pack since I've been an adult, and I use that term loosely! lol. just keep 4 or 5 hounds. they can try your patience but I love the little hounds. not many houndsman around. I hunt all public and it is tough but would hate to give it up. I really enjoy it. have met lifelong friends through beagling. dont shoot many because if I shoot them they aren't there next time. its mostly about the hounds. thanks for reading! I enjoy the comments.

You bring back great memories for me, too, I Beagle. The races we had, the fellowship we shared and the meals based around braised rabbits comprise some of my greatest hunting memories. Thanks for posting.

Grew up with hunting dogs of all types. Bird dogs for quail, hounds and beagles for rabbits, raccoons, deer etc. Best friend and I would sit on tailgate of pickup drink coffee and listen to beagles run. More about listening to dogs run than killing rabbits. Would kill one to eat occasionally. If dogs brought it close enough to shoot from where we were sitting. He passed away from a stroke 10 years ago. Last hunt together was 3 days before the stroke. I regret not taking time off from work over the years and going with him. Thankful for having retired and spending last few weeks before he passed talking and listening to his beagles run. His passing taught me that all the overtime I put in for years wasnt worth the time missed with a friend doing things we enjoyed. Go listen to your dogs run as often as you can, while you can. The memories you make are priceless.

I will be 54 yrs old here in a few weeks. have had beagles since I was a kid. we always had a beagle when I was a kid, some hunted good some didnt. but have had my own small pack since I've been an adult, and I use that term loosely! lol. just keep 4 or 5 hounds. they can try your patience but I love the little hounds. not many houndsman around. I hunt all public and it is tough but would hate to give it up. I really enjoy it. have met lifelong friends through beagling. dont shoot many because if I shoot them they aren't there next time. its mostly about the hounds. thanks for reading! I enjoy the comments.
We ate rabbit quite a bit but you are right. It’s all about listening to the hounds and watching them work... you ever see a creature enjoy themselves as much as a beagle in a rabbit thicket?

Nice photo! I've had braces of beagles for as long as I've been married and we really love the breed. We don't hunt them but their natural instincts always come out when we take them for walks or let them out in the back yard. One of our girls has the supernatural ability to spot a rabbit at the far side of our lot before she even gets out the door. I made the comment to our breeder that I wouldn't know what to do if she ever caught a rabbit and the breeder replied: "Oh, she'll be happy to exchange the carcass for a tennis ball."

3468CD62-D6BD-42FE-8F6A-DC441E1A851D_1_201_a.jpeg

Back