Bear hunting ?'s

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
I have been wanting to get a bear for some time now. I live and hunt in NW Virginia. We seem to have a good number of bears. I see them regularly unless I'm hunting for them. In all my years of hunting I've seen 3 in the woods. Gave up on bird feeders because of them. Can anyone tell me how to specifically target them? Most guys I know stumbled upon their bear while deer hunting. Being in VA we have a fall season, no baiting is allowed, you can use dogs. I don't know anyone with a pack of hounds. Thanks for any tips.

I’m versed in MI & WI bear hunting. Here it’s bait or hounds, other methods are usually low likelihood endeavors. The two people try is known activity around food sources, then maybe calling with ‘fawn in distress’.

Hunted bears shy away from people, they may be around, but don’t like being seen. The best way for you to tag a bear is get the license then hook up with local hound hunters. Other options are carry a tag while deer hunting, or go out of State. Depending on where, the non-res application system(points) can take years.

I have a lot of bait pile pictures. It looks easy, but big bears are smart. They often do a sniff check at the site. Then we add in some ‘bear fever’ from the hunter. A seemingly 25 yard chip shot can easily be muffed.

92B79D19-7D4D-4CDA-AAD8-295C453527BC.jpeg1A660F94-B4E9-4B92-B042-93454F216C75.jpeg

I would love to see a bear like that. I use to have some rabbit dogs. Would love to have some hounds. Can't get full retirement until I'm 50 so hounds will have to wait.

I speak only from my home state of Idaho hunting experience. I mostly only bait for them in the Spring, but do see them quite frequently in the fall when elk hunting.
For a fall hunting season with no baiting the best chance is going to be hounds. Most hound hunters LOVE to run bears and are very willing to let you tag along to shoot one after it is treed. The hound hunters I've known will go run bears every chance they get, even if they know they themselves aren't ready to shoot one, and then will just walk away from a treed bear if that's what they have to do. They've told me that they hate to have to walk away from a bear too many times and not "reward" the dogs with a bear tumbling out of the tree, so they will take along most anyone with a valid tag that can keep up and appears to be a safe minded person gun wise. Start spreading the word around, you may be surprised with the offers. Most would probably only ask you to kick in fuel money at most. At least that's how it is here in Idaho.
The second option is to hunt clear cuts (or good sized openings) very early morning and late evening. I see them quite often when glassing out clear cuts when archery elk hunting in September. Especially if there are berry patches. Get the wind right and stalk in on them. You can often get pretty close as long as you don't move when they are looking, only move when they aren't looking your way and are occupied eating. You can be standing in the wide open when they look and as long as you aren't moving you'll usually be fine. This option only works well if you can observe a clear cut from a good vantage point with the wind in your favor. Their nose is king...if they smell you they are gone.
The third option is trying to call one in. Like Widude said, it isn't a very high percentage option. Fawn distress would be my choice of call too. Does may charge in on you too to "protect" the fawn.
Here's a pic of a pretty little blond phase bear that was hitting my bait last year. I had other bears quite a bit bigger hitting the bait too, but this one is my #1 target this year. He'll be around 6 or 7 years old this year. I wouldn't mind giving him (I'm fairly certain it's a boar) another couple of years, but don't think I'll be able to resist if he shows while I'm sitting on the bait.

Blondie.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 6
Beautiful bear. Idaho is real high on my list of places to visit. I have a few friends who have moved there. One is suppose to be finding some elk for us to hunt.

I used to sit on the edge of a corn field evenings after they chopped it. Double lung shot is very deadly. They will run 25-50 yards. I have killed them with as small as .440 ball pushed by 50 grains of 3F.
Good luck
Nit Wit

Never seen any that weren't jet black around here.

Been looking at guided hunts. Just hard to pay to hunt a species I can kill at home.

Bear hunting is tough here in Colorado. No bait or hounds. So, we try to do spot and stalk or call them in. I do a lot of scouting for berry bushes in the offseason and then come bear season i'll still hunt into those areas and try to catch a bear feeding. It's a tough hunt though. Bears are smart and have the best nose of all big game.

I had hounds for 22 years till the hippies and uninformed public voted me out of the woods. Big bears in eastern Wa aren't that big, maybe 300 lbs. Few and far between Average goes 140 to 200lbs.

We can still run hounds. Use to know some guys who did but, they all seem to have gotten out.

We can still run hounds. Use to know some guys who did but, they all seem to have gotten out.

The hounds do the hunt and chase the bear up a tree. You come along and shoot the bear out of the tree. You would do that? Do you call that hunting?

Its obvious you never owned or trained a hound to hunt. The hours spent 7 days a week making sure your dogs are trash broke and keeping them in shape. Then there's the fact that maybe 1 dog out of 50 or 100 are true bear dogs and have the guts and ability to fight a bear face to face . They don't just run up a tree. Bayed bears also promote another problem that must be handled on the ground. Are you up for that? Ya, hunting bears with dogs is like taking candy from a baby. At least looking at a bear in a tree you can discriminate a boar from a sow and walk away. Lets see you do that from 50 or 100 yards . Your dammed right I call that hunting!

The hounds do the hunt and chase the bear up a tree. You come along and shoot the bear out of the tree. You would do that? Do you call that hunting?
I call it hard/ enjoyable and attitudes like that from fol;ks that haven"t are why some liberal states run by folks that think they know better caused the loss of that season ! Folks that opine where they are ignorant lose more of our hunting rights than all those city dwellers can hope for which is a disaster to our sport ! Just sayin and my last and only bear came off the ground with a bow ! Ed

Its obvious you never owned or trained a hound to hunt. The hours spent 7 days a week making sure your dogs are trash broke and keeping them in shape. Then there's the fact that maybe 1 dog out of 50 or 100 are true bear dogs and have the guts and ability to fight a bear face to face . They don't just run up a tree. Bayed bears also promote another problem that must be handled on the ground. Are you up for that? Ya, hunting bears with dogs is like taking candy from a baby. At least looking at a bear in a tree you can discriminate a boar from a sow and walk away. Lets see you do that from 50 or 100 yards . Your dammed right I call that hunting!

I was posting to the OP. Not the hound owner/trainer. Letting someone else supply the hounds and tree the bear. Then the hunter shoots it out of the tree is not hunting. Neither is sitting in someone else's tree stand and shooting a bear over bait. Anybody who can shoot a gun can do either of those hunts with no hunting skills at all.

Yes, i'm a fan of fair chase.

Back