Bear loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidekick

Reaction score
I will be hunting black bear in eastern NC this fall with my NEF 50 cal. sidekick and 100gr of 777 from a tree stand and am looking for a good load for the hunt. I now use TC 250 gr. PTX for deer with good accuracy and knock down results. Randy Wakeman and others have recommended barnes 300 gr. mz expanders. Would the 250 gr barnes expander be to light for black bear? Send some recommendations. Thanks.

I would not hesitate a minute to shoot a black bear with the 250 XTP with a 100 grain load. The other two bullets you mentioned would be great choices also along with a bunch more bullets to choose from.

I would think any of those loads would work fine. The Barnes might be my personal preference, but I am sure the XTP's will work just as well!

Hey Sidekick,
Welcome to the forum!
IF I were going on a black bear hunt TOMORROW with a Sidekick and 100gr ffg Triple Se7en, the first two bullets I'd try would be a 250gr Barnes Expander and a 260gr Partition Gold. Both of those shoot good out of my own Sidekick. Weight retention will be close to 100% with both loads and I see no reason to jump to a 300gr bullet when using 100gr ffg Triple Se7en. Another good choice would be the 245gr Spitfire which shot really good out of my gun.

Latest posts

Back