Bear Skull?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoHiCntry

Reaction score
Here’s my dilemma... I killed a bear in the fall of 2018. It wasn’t a real big bear so I had the hide soft tanned & threw the skull in the freezer to boil & bleach for a European later. Well, guess where it still is?

I need to take it out & do something with it before the fall hunting season. Anyone have any idea if it will still turn out ok if I try to do a European at this point? Not sure what else I would do with it anyway? So I’ll probably try either way. Just thought I’d see if someone knows from experience what to expect? Thanks...

A friend of mine did a European mount with one and it turned out nice.

A friend of mine did a European mount with one and it turned out nice.

Yeah, I’ve got one from another bear I killed and it looks good. I’m just curious what effect if any sitting in a freezer for two years will have on it?

I don't believe there will be any issue with the skull in the freezer for that long. Thaw it out, remove as much flesh and brain matter as possible, and use a pressure washer to remove the remaining flesh. Then, in a bucket, mix up some borax and water to bleach the skull white. Try not to lose any teeth, and if they fall out, just glue them back in.

Here’s my dilemma... I killed a bear in the fall of 2018. It wasn’t a real big bear so I had the hide soft tanned & threw the skull in the freezer to boil & bleach for a European later. Well, guess where it still is?
Use good old Tide laundry soap works the best over the mild soaps, guys will tell you to use all of these expensive cleaners (which do a poor job), Tide is the cheapest thing around that does work.

I use a steel 55 gallon drum cut in half length wise (usually do several heads at a time), set drum on a few rocks off the ground, dig out your fire pit below and your set. Build a fire let the water get warm then put the skull in and keep the boiling water do it's work. Biggest problem is keep your dogs and cats away as they think it's dinner time, don't let them drink the cooled water when finished or you'll be cleaning up after them with having the runs ... o_O

My childhood friend who does animal skulls, pelts, etc, DOESN'T hunt. His house is full of beautiful skulls and pelts as well as tanned snake skins. Most all his "subjects" are road kill with a few maybe donated. He's quite gifted. He's a martial artist, use to practice "magic" and do horseshoe and steel bending. He and I trained together for years, and more than once nearly killed each other sparring. We were also in a band together - he's better than I am.

Do not set it out to thaw it needs to be done in water. The outside will become nasty before the inside thaws out. There is a YouTube channel Whitebone Creations Hunting really knowledgeable on how to do the European stuff.

Do not set it out to thaw it needs to be done in water. The outside will become nasty before the inside thaws out. There is a YouTube channel Whitebone Creations Hunting really knowledgeable on how to do the European stuff.

Thanks... I’ve actually watched several of whitebone creations videos before doing other Europeans in the past. I usually watch a clip or two before doing one to refresh my memory on how to do it. When you only do one once in awhile, every times like the first time!

This works for me. Dig a hole put skull in it cover with dirt. Dig it up in a few weeks and it will be clean! No joke it works the bugs in the soil will take care of it.

I’ve heard of doing it this way. I usually just boil & use developer from the beauty supply store. I’m not sure this method would work where I live? I’m at 8500’ and our soil is crushed granite for the most part. Not a lot of bugs in the ground like other places. I don’t really know for sure though?

I'd be worried about freezer burn weakening the tissues and at the very least causing a bunch of teeth to fall out when you boil. Very interested to hear how it turns out.

Well different a geographical area might not work. Maybe try a rabbit skull or small mammal skull to find out. Results would be interesting.

Yeah, I’ll have to remember to try it on a smaller skull sometime to see what happens.

I'd be worried about freezer burn weakening the tissues and at the very least causing a bunch of teeth to fall out when you boil. Very interested to hear how it turns out.

I’ll let everyone know how it turns out with a couple pics... then everyone will know wether its a good idea or not to keep a skull in the freezer for two years 😉

I actually did a road kill buck years ago in the summer and put it in a garbage bag for a few weeks and let the fly larvae do it’s job , turned out great to be honest and still have it .

Got it done... took it out of the freezer & put it in a pot full of water to thaw for a day. Then boiled it to get most of the meat off. Then boiled in dish soap & oxy clean, power washed then back in the boil pot with the developer for whitening. Pretty much just like other’s I’ve done. No problems from it being frozen for so long.

Attachments

• 62DB1C99-D7B6-4C9F-9E95-F31798E7DB2F.jpeg
    62DB1C99-D7B6-4C9F-9E95-F31798E7DB2F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back