Bedding the 10ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riddleofsteel

Reaction score
Bedding the Savage 10ML

How many here have ended up bedding thier 10ML?

I have been considering doing this mainly because every other rifle that I own is glass bedded and most of them did not shoot thier best until I did.

My other question is the rear bedding screw that acts a bolt retainer. It seems that having to loosen it to remove the bolt is a bad idea. Does anyone get changes in POI or zero because of it? It would seem in a truly neutral bedded rifle that loosening one screw and then torqueing it back to the same pressure would not cause the action to shift much. However, in a rifle not well bedded I know it can make the action shift.

Hum

Thoughts?

I bedded mine when I switched to the boyds stock from the tupperware one- seemed to be the thing to do although the accuracy stayed the same- ( I bedded the tupperware too!) I think there is a fellow on the green board has a plunger bolt in his -but he may have the 3rd pillar also- -Getonit-

Just make an index mark(use a punch) on the front and rear bolt heads. When you loosen the rear bolt,all that is required is to tighten it up until the mark on the bolt head aligns with the mark on the stock. Your zero won't change! This has been done on bench-varmit rifles for years,and it works! Ron :D

getonit said:
I think there is a fellow on the green board has a plunger bolt in his -but he may have the 3rd pillar also- -Getonit-

It is RB. He sells them. I purchased one from him for my 10 ML II, but never installed it to stay before I sold the rifle. You do need to add a 3rd pillar to use it because it is not strong enough to withstand the abuse of being a primary action screw.

Before I ever shot my Savage I had it bedded and a third pillar put in, so I could take the bolt out with out changing the POI. It made me feel better.

Before I ever shot my Savage I had it bedded and a third pillar put in, so I could take the bolt out with out changing the POI. It made me feel better.

That may be the way that I go. Even if I have to back out a screw every time I clean the rifle at least I will not be thinking about my zero shifting. Confidence in your equipment is a big part of good shooting.

Google 'dougs savage board'- aka "green board" sorry for the lack of info...alot of guys use both boards- great people on both and tons of knowledge :idea: -getonit-

Thanks guys

I talked to Henry today and he pretty much confirmed what you guys have said. In a neutral bedded rifle the losening of a rear bedding screw should not affect POI or zero. Also light cleaning from the muzzle should not be a problem if done properly. Bolt removal and cleaning from the rear is more a matter of preference than need.
Another smith I talked to pointed out that military and police snipers often remove thier barreled actions from the stock completely. When the barreled action and stock is reassembled and the action screws are torqued to thier proper values the rifle always shoots to the same point of aim.
The key here is that the barreled action a matched fit to the bedding block or glass bed and the screws are always torqued to the same value. How can the zero change?
I appreciate all your patience and advice. The internet is a great resource to those that know what and where to ask. I am going to order an E-Z tool tommorrow and I have made an appointment with "the man" for a beding job.

Thanks

Thanks

I got my Savage ML back from Henry the other day. He worked his magic on it for sure. I took it out today and fired about 25 rounds using 45 grains of 4744, 300 grain XTP's, short black MMP sabots, and Win 209 primers.
I bore sighted the scope and the first shot ended up around 12" low! 48 up clicks gave a 2 shot group around 2" across exactly three inches high at 100 yards and a little left. Minor left right ajustment and I fired a three shot group for effect. These three shots fell in a group three inches high, dead center and measured .75".
I was shooting slow taking around 10 minutes between shots using a RCBS electronic scale to weigh my charges and enjoying a fine Carolina afternoon. The next three, three shot groups, measured between 1 and 1.2 MOA.
I have quick disconnect scope rings on the rifle so I wanted to test them for return to POA. I removed the scope, the bolt and the breech plug. Then I cleaned the entire rifle and replaced the breech plug and bolt and retorqued the action screws to 30 inch/lbs. I snapped a primer to clear the vent and loaded up.
Tthe resulting four shot group, fired over 45 minutes measured 1" exactly and were dead center 3" high. Very repeatable results. I think I am ready to go and I am very pleased overall.
I did notice a bit of gas cutting on the face of my breechplug. It was not there when I started but it was bad enough that I felt it cleaning the plug after the range session. I went by Henry's shop on the way home and he told me my breech plug was probably not tight enough. He gave me a new plug and showed me how to tighten it properly. I am hoping it will solve the gas cutting problem.

Ron S said:
Just make an index mark(use a punch) on the front and rear bolt heads. When you loosen the rear bolt,all that is required is to tighten it up until the mark on the bolt head aligns with the mark on the stock. Your zero won't change! This has been done on bench-varmit rifles for years,and it works! Ron :D

That's what I did on Savage #2 and your right it works. Of course on my HB with the third pillar there nothing to worry about. :wink:

lohachata said:
Hi,
Good to be part of this, I live in Gold Coast Australia and going to test my rifle in Western Australia and could you please let me know about your glass bed. I am facing problem in fixing its head!

Welcome to the Forum! Do you realize this thread is 12-13 years old?

The original threads have some worthwhile ideas that still work. RB unfortunately is now deceased, have not heard from some of the others for awhile. Bedding can still help.

jims said:
The original threads have some worthwhile ideas that still work. RB unfortunately is now deceased, have not heard from some of the others for awhile. Bedding can still help.

I agree about the Worthwhile ideas in the thread, I just figured I’d let the new guy know that he might not want to hold his breath waiting on a Reply from the Original posters

I hope he is from Australia but i have reason to think it could be somewhere else like the middle east or possibly SE Asia.

If you search bedding a ML stock, sabotloader posted it for me. Tuesday November 3rd 2015 If you send me your cell# in my PM, I'll send you some updated pictures.

Welcome to the board.
I bedded all my Savage ML2 and rem 700 ML and White Rifles. Helped some more than others but all shot better. Have 3rd action screw in the ML2s. Easy enuff to bed on your own. Hillbill has a good explain over on Hankins board. http://hanksmessageboard.freeforums.net/

Wolfer

GM54-120 said:
I hope he is from Australia but i have reason to think it could be somewhere else like the middle east or possibly SE Asia.

GM for me this tracks back to Pakistan! so I am going to delete.

Latest posts

Back