Benched for this season…

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
Almost 4 years ago I discovered I had some old fractures and a herniated disk in my back. Through a couple injections and PT I was able to get back to normal. Being active with the kids, sports, and handled a couple mountain Elk hunts with no problem. I made sure to do the stretches I learned in PT daily and even lost 45 lbs. Thought I was doing everything right to protect my spine. Turns out I was wrong. The weekend before the forth of July this summer that injury flared up again but even worse this time. Couldn’t even stand strait for 2 months. Can’t walk more than 30’. Constant pain from my back all down my right leg. I’ve had 5 injections and many PT visits and nothing worked. I go in Wednesday for a spinal Fusion procedure. Not what I wanted to be doing this fall but this current state of things sucks. I’ll be in the hospital for 4 days then home for 4-6 weeks. Different level of restrictions for 6+months. I’m blessed to have a pretty awesome wife that will have to handle running the 4 kids around and everything else. My hunting season is over before it starts. I did apply for a crossbow permit in hopes that maybe come December I’ll be able to hunt. Doc says no archery or shooting guns for 3-6 months. Our firearms season is the second weekend in November. Really praying to be well enough to walk to the stand so I can at least sit with my 11 & 14 year old. Watching them kill deer is more fun than shooting for myself anyway. Sure is a different feeling heading into this fall.

For those so inclined prayers would be appreciated!

Prayers are on the way. The main thing is to get better. There’s always next year. Hopefully you’ll be able to sit with your grandkids and help them get their deer. Like you said I enjoy that just as much.
Get well my friend.

Prayers headed your way! I know the pain of not hunting, broke my left ankle in '93 when fell out of a tree. I did manage to kill a spike buck the week before, so we had meat. I went out once an sit in the back of my truck, but never saw anything.
Hope you heal fast!

Hoping you get a speedy recovery, not sure yet but I am anticipating the same with my neck very soon. I am hoping for late Nov. so I can go to Tenn. to hunt with my older brother. I have missed a season or 2 over the years but (We) don't have to like it. Best wishes Dennis

Brokenness comes in a unique package for each of us it seems,, I've been taking care of a handicap,, severely handicap ex-wife for a couple of years now between that issue and trying to retire and get moved I find myself overwhelmed,, it's not so much that I can't hunt I just have so much going on and in categories of my life I'd rather not deal with that I'm not concerned about hunting,, that's so out of the norm for me because usually when it's deer season I'm in the woods for almost 4 months straight everyday,,, may the Lord heal you my friend,, and use this time as a blessing!

I'll say to you what you've said to me, you'll get through this.

I'm sitting here right now with ice on my knee, heat on my ask, with an IV running 24/7 and will until Oct. 20th. I too will miss the season this year, my second year in a row. I've learned there are more important things than hunting or shooting that need taken care of. Wishing you the best. You'll get through this.

Boy, now that sucks. I have all sorts of prayers for you and hope for a speedy and complete recovery. Keep us in the loop like Encore does.

Almost 4 years ago I discovered I had some old fractures and a herniated disk in my back. Through a couple injections and PT I was able to get back to normal. Being active with the kids, sports, and handled a couple mountain Elk hunts with no problem. I made sure to do the stretches I learned in PT daily and even lost 45 lbs. Thought I was doing everything right to protect my spine. Turns out I was wrong. The weekend before the forth of July this summer that injury flared up again but even worse this time. Couldn’t even stand strait for 2 months. Can’t walk more than 30’. Constant pain from my back all down my right leg. I’ve had 5 injections and many PT visits and nothing worked. I go in Wednesday for a spinal Fusion procedure. Not what I wanted to be doing this fall but this current state of things sucks. I’ll be in the hospital for 4 days then home for 4-6 weeks. Different level of restrictions for 6+months. I’m blessed to have a pretty awesome wife that will have to handle running the 4 kids around and everything else. My hunting season is over before it starts. I did apply for a crossbow permit in hopes that maybe come December I’ll be able to hunt. Doc says no archery or shooting guns for 3-6 months. Our firearms season is the second weekend in November. Really praying to be well enough to walk to the stand so I can at least sit with my 11 & 14 year old. Watching them kill deer is more fun than shooting for myself anyway. Sure is a different feeling heading into this fall.

For those so inclined prayers would be appreciated!
I wish you the best. I was ran over by the tractor I was working on 4 years ago first in the week of Nov. Had just finished building some natural blinds and had a ladder stand out, was all ready to hunt. Needless to say I was down and out for awhile, ended up with a piece titanium from hip to knee. Long story short I made out for the last deer season in Jan. and got to hunt a little. Used my crossbow as a cane to limp to a ground blind, which I could get within 100 yards of with my s x s. Sruck out that season, I let a group of does walk first hunt, and never had another good shot. Probably best, not sure how I thought I would drag one out anyway. Thankfully, Ive been able to harvest several since. Best of luck to you. I hope you don't miss the entire years hunting.

Saying a prayer for you....I went through 3 spinal fusion surgeries in a 4 yr. period. Last in 2015. Working full time, hunting and weightlifting again....deadlifting 350 for reps. Just do what the doctor tells you to do. Good luck

You have my prayers and best wishes. I missed the entire season three years ago with a hip replacement. Now having back issues. Had an injection last October and did well until a couple of months ago. Got enough pain that I went back for another injection in late August hoping that would get me through this years season but in less then a week the pain came back. Still going to get through this season I hope. Doc says he can guarantee that I will never be well without an operation so I'm trying to tough it out until the end of the year or at least through the Virginia deer rut in November.
Prayers to all with issues.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back