Berry's Blue Diamond Muzzleloader Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_5242.JPG

IMG_5243.JPG

Distance between rifle, and bottles is 25 yard. Powder charge is 80 grain 777 powder.

IMG_5244.JPG

VIDEO

IMG_5247.JPG

Bullet destroyed first two bottles, went through the third bottle, bounced off the fourth bottle, and was found about five feet to the left in the snow.

IMG_5249.JPG

IMG_5248.JPG

Probably the best performing Berry’s bullet I’ve seen. At first glance it looked to me like Scorpion PT with blue tip instead of gold.
Good Test. Thanks Ron.

Couldn't help but notice the rifling marks. I've thought for some time now, that bullets fired with sabots have a higher velocity threshold than fired from barrels of their caliber. The rifling causing stress risers in the jacket which promotes expansion. Without them, the jackets can hold together better. I believe that's why bullets fired at several hundred fps above their factory rating, do so well when shot from muzzleloaders with sabots. The .40 caliber Hornady XTP's come to mind.
I'd be curious to see how these bullets expand , at the same velocity, fired from a sabot. And maybe both ways until they fail. Which survived the higher velocities? Then the question would be answered.
Just a thought.

These Blue Diamond Bullets do come with sabot. The expansion of these and most bullets happens at the tip, not at the butt where the engraving of the rifling is........

Shooting bullets without sabot seems to be a way for one to burn 777 powder without having to scrub away the 'crud ring' These bullets today were shot three times at paper, before shooting the bullet at the bottles; no scrubbing necessary. This shooter isn't very motivated to go back to sabot.

The violent explosion of the first bottle shows the bullet was expanding. The violent explosion of the second bottle shows the bullet was still expanding. This leads one to conclude the expansion of the bullet in the first bottle hadn't reached the engraving of the rifling on the heel of the bullet.

Gotcha. But what I believe is happening is when the expansion leaves the ogive and progresses down the shank/ bearing surface of the bullet. Thats when the jacket gets weakened by the rifling. Doesnt happen with a sabot. So when velocities allow expansion to progress to that point, I think the bullet will hold together better if the jacket is unmarked by the rifling. Just a thought.

Had this bullet been shot in a sabot, how could it's performance be any better?
If one were to stop and understand your test, they would see that it is really a great test for bullet strength, and is asking a lot for any bullet. Each time the bullet strikes a new water jug, it’s another impact that the bullet is taking on and if it holds together after all those impacts it has to definitely be tough enough for a hunting bullet. I enjoy these tests you do!!

Latest posts

Back