Best All-Around 350 Legend Rifle??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a handi rifle in 357 max - its bull type barrel is a little heavy but its nice to let my kids plink away with 38 specials in it - at times thats easier to find than 22LR

I love the maximum and had it in an Encore platform. I did have a couple typo on the post you quoted. More like many at 200yds and a few at 300 plus. It was bought for my son to use and he just never got into hunting but he loved to plink at targets with it. Minimal recoil and just a plain fun round.
Sometimes people get hung up on Kinetic energy and what’s ethical (most say 1000 foot pounds) but what most people don’t think about is bullet performance at said foot pounds. So what works for one bullet, may or may not for another. Soft lead usually gets the job done!
A standard 180gr 357 magnum bullet is only moving 1400fps and has 780 foot pounds at the muzzle. Not sure about most people but I’m not questioning the performance of a 357 magnum at point blank range

Last edited:
There's a dandy 8pt hanging behind me on the wall, that succumbed to a 300gr XTP at an actual 175yds, with a 44mag Ruger Super Redhawk.

You are a lot more daring than I am. I could see taking a shot like that from my Marlin 1894 but not a Redhawk. Honestly, if I had beyond 150 yard shot on deer I would be packing my 7mm08.

You are a lot more daring than I am. I could see taking a shot like that from my Marlin 1894 but not a Redhawk. Honestly, if I had beyond 150 yard shot on deer I would be packing my 7mm08.
Practice and knowing your firearm make all the difference in the world.
I practice until the firearm becomes a part of my body. Confidence.

A lever action, such as a Henry would have to have the tube removed, I assume.
Sounds like you could use a dowel rod as a plug and remove the spring/follower in the tube. Same way you can do to shotguns.

• removing internal magazine springs and followers,
  • using a plug to block the magazine tube,

my first one was a Ruger American Parker, I’ve had the Winchester in my hands, and now I own the Franchi. No comparison. I say Franchi hands down but you’re talking twice as much money. however it does meet all of your posted qualifications. If you should go with a single shot I would definitely go with CVA Scout. I have one in 450 bushmaster and it’s an excellent gun

Greg

my first one was a Ruger American Parker, I’ve had the Winchester in my hands, and now I own the Franchi. No comparison. I say Franchi hands down but you’re talking twice as much money. however it does meet all of your posted qualifications. If you should go with a single shot I would definitely go with CVA Scout. I have one in 450 bushmaster and it’s an excellent gun

Greg
Definitely leaning toward the Franchi. More $, but it also appears to be a much more solid rifle. And I have to say, I really like that burnt bronze cerakote finish.

Too bad the op said IL... To me already owning a few AR15s... Just buying an upper (in 350LGND or 450 Bm) and magazine is usually the answer

Too bad the op said IL... To me already owning a few AR15s... Just buying an upper (in 350LGND or 450 Bm) and magazine is usually the answer
That's right...IL will soon be a "sporting rifle" banned state. My friend just bought an AR last night from Bass Pro, knowing that within a month that right will be gone. They are also going to change the law regarding the already what I consider to be illegal FOID card. Nobody under 21 will be permitted to obtain a FOID card, which means any hunter under 21 will need to hunt with an individual over 21 with a FOID card. And of course a magazine ban is also part of the proposed bill. And those of us with "sporting rifles" in hand have to pay $25 and register them with the state police. Our guns are already registered, just a money maker, just like the FOID cards. As I have said before, five more years for me and it is back to IA where I grew up. But I digress, back to the 350 Legend.....I could quickly acquire a 350 Legend AR build, but again, for hunting purposes, only a single shot is permitted in IL from a straight wall cartridge rifle.

PS- I like your vent liner screws for my Savage 10 ML II. Keep up the good work producing quality products.

Go with the one that you like the best and feels the best to you. I got me a Savage Axis (not the Accutrigger) and then got a M-carbo trigger kit for it and man can that rifle shoot.

I have a Savage Axis without the accutrigger and like you said the bolt operation isn't smooth but its not bad. But its super accurate. And how often will you get a 2nd shot at a deer - especially when you're limited to loading one shot.
I have no experience with the other models.

What you have will easily do the job. My friend's son has the same gun, but with the accutrigger. It doesn't "smoothly chamber another round unless you push up on the bottom of the magazine. That is at least the way it is with his Savage. Awesome accuracy out to 200yrds, mechanically challenged, but then again it was a $350 gun with a cheap Bushnell scope already mounted

I have an inexpensive Anderson AR15 in 350L. It is surprisingly accurate. I thought it was going to shoot 6” at 50 yards but surprised me with >1” groups just using a red dot. Its not what i would hunt with and too expensive to plink with. Im going to rebarrel it to something else.
A friend has a Mossberg Patriot in 350L that he LOVES but he’s a terrible shot so it may be a very accurate gun, too.

Don’t forget there’s also a new REM 360 Buckhammer (uses a 358 rifle bullet) but only available in a Henry lever action, & the 400 Legend has been approved. Not sure why we need a 400 but it’s all about marketing = sales

Greg

Latest posts

Back