Best All-Around 350 Legend Rifle??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get an adjustable gas block and a heavier buffer and you can run just as hot as a bolt action or single shot. If you close the gas block you can make it a single shot. That said if I wanted a rifle with the option of more than one shot I would choose a lever action in 44 mag. Been here a long time, is better than the 350 "legend", so why reinvent the wheel. Especially by making it square

Any reason not to do one in the AR platform?
First of all, in IL we will only be permitted a single shot. In other words, one round in the barrel and no mag attached. I have and do use my 500 Auto Max for deer hunting in IA from time to time, but generally I prefer a muzzleloader/bolt gun which is going to provide more accuracy at a greater distance. That being said, my 500 Auto Max AR took a doe last season at 156yrds (350gr Sierra JHP)- I love that gun. As a side note, IL is soon going to be passing legislation banning the sale of "assault rifles", so I'm glad I have what I have. And I do use my .223 Rock River AR for coyote hunting all the time.

Get an adjustable gas block and a heavier buffer and you can run just as hot as a bolt action or single shot. If you close the gas block you can make it a single shot. That said if I wanted a rifle with the option of more than one shot I would choose a lever action in 44 mag. Been here a long time, is better than the 350 "legend", so why reinvent the wheel. Especially by making it square
That .44 isn't going to get out to 200yrds to take a deer, the 350 Legend can do that easily. I have a 45-70 Henry Lever Action that I wouldn't consider using to take a deer at 200 yards. It is a quality rife, but not designed for a 200 yard shot on live game (IMO).

I'm not trying to knock the 350. It just has a lot of inflated comparisons and marketing. Kind of like the 6.5 Creedmoor. Both are fine cartridges. But are also pushed beyond the limit of hunting by paper punching ballistics. Just because the bullet can get there doesn't mean it will properly do its job

I have a TC Venture II in .350 Legend. I bought it because I thought it had the best trigger of the many .350 rifles I looked at. It has turned out to be an extremely accurate rifle. I am quite pleased with it. TC may be owned by S&W now.

Last edited:
Didn't know about the Venture having a 350. I own 2 Ventures and may be getting a 3rd. Better rifles than any that have been mentioned. Downside is TC's future for warranty.

Beginning January 1st in IL, it will be legal to hunt with straight wall cartridges (single shot at a time). Now, I don't want to actually buy a single shot rifle, hoping that eventually the lawmakers will develop some common sense and allow 3 cartridges to be used when hunting, just as is the case with shotguns. I have no idea what their logic was on that rule. For the time-being however, we will have to load one round manually, without the mag attached. My daughter has been looking forward to this for quite a while, since she has used my buddy's 3505) Legend that his boys hunt with in IA. They are using a Savage Axis with an 18" barrel. It is super accurate, but the bolt is not smooth, and I would like a longer barrel. I have done quite a bit of research but without having my hands on them it is difficult to make a decision. At this point, the items I would like to have include the following:

1) Easy to load a single round
2) 22" barrel
3) 60 degree bolt throw
4) Smooth bolt retraction
5) Strips the next round consistently well
6) Most importantly, accuracy

At the moment, the models at the top of the list would be the following;
1) Franchi Momentum Elite
2) Winchester XPR
3) Ruger American Rifle with 22" barrel

I already have a scope that I will be putting on, so don't need a model that comes with one. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
just up grade the savage

That .44 isn't going to get out to 200yrds to take a deer, the 350 Legend can do that easily. I have a 45-70 Henry Lever Action that I wouldn't consider using to take a deer at 200 yards. It is a quality rife, but not designed for a 200 yard shot on live game (IMO).

I don’t want to start an argument but a lever action in 45/70 is definitely more than capable of a kill shot at 200 yards. A 44 mag would be less probably 150. Just a matter of knowing your gun and ballistics.

I don’t want to start an argument but a lever action in 45/70 is definitely more than capable of a kill shot at 200 yards. A 44 mag would be less probably 150. Just a matter of knowing your gun and ballistics.
There's a dandy 8pt hanging behind me on the wall, that succumbed to a 300gr XTP at an actual 175yds, with a 44mag Ruger Super Redhawk.

350 Legend at 200 yards? Yikes!
Dropped many of deer at 200yds and a few at 300 plus with a 357 maximum. Not seeing an issue with doing it with the legend.
180gr Hornady SSP at 2300fps was 4 MOA drop at 200yds and still producing enough energy to get the Hornady to do its job at 300yds.

Last edited:
There's a dandy 8pt hanging behind me on the wall, that succumbed to a 300gr XTP at an actual 175yds, with a 44mag Ruger Super Redhawk.
Then you are a hell of a shot- 100 yrds with a handgun, even with an optic and rest is the absolute max for me (and I probably wouldn't even attempt that). All the power to you though if you can make that shot. I think you would have to admit that for most of us mere mortals, a 200 yard shot with a pistol on a live animal is not realistic. I also think the majority of us would say a shot with a lever action rifle chambered in .44 mag is not ethical as well (would have to look at the ballistics to know this for certain). The odds of killing vs wounding/missing are not in our favor in most cases. A person needs to know himself and his limitations.

Then you are a hell of a shot- 100 yrds with a handgun, even with an optic and rest is the absolute max for me (and I probably wouldn't even attempt that). All the power to you though if you can make that shot. I think you would have to admit that for most of us mere mortals, a 200 yard shot with a pistol on a live animal is not realistic. I also think the majority of us would say a shot with a lever action rifle chambered in .44 mag is not ethical as well (would have to look at the ballistics to know this for certain). The odds of killing vs wounding/missing are not in our favor in most cases. A person needs to know himself and his limitations.
Practice, practice, practice and practice more. Practice until the firearm is nothing but an extension of your own body.
My Ruger had a Leupold 2X. I used a round hay bale for a rest and no, I did not set it on fire. RELOADS.
I've succeeded my goal of harvesting with all legal means.

Last edited:
First of all, in IL we will only be permitted a single shot. In other words, one round in the barrel and no mag attached. I have and do use my 500 Auto Max for deer hunting in IA from time to time, but generally I prefer a muzzleloader/bolt gun which is going to provide more accuracy at a greater distance. That being said, my 500 Auto Max AR took a doe last season at 156yrds (350gr Sierra JHP)- I love that gun. As a side note, IL is soon going to be passing legislation banning the sale of "assault rifles", so I'm glad I have what I have. And I do use my .223 Rock River AR for coyote hunting all the time.

What rifles are legal to use in Illinois?

Effective Jan. 1, 2023, single-shot rifles may be used to hunt deer in a caliber meeting the law’s criteria.

"Single shot" means a gun that is either manufactured or modified to only be capable of holding a total of one round in the magazine and chamber combined.

"Single shot" does not include a rifle in the possession of a person who is also in possession of or in close proximity to a magazine that would allow the rifle to be capable of holding more than one round or a revolver.

A rifle shall be considered a single shot if there is no magazine in possession of or in close proximity to a hunter in the field and the gun can only hold a total of one round.

Can I use a lever-action/bolt-action/pump-action/semi-automatic rifle for hunting deer in Illinois?

Effective Jan. 1, 2023, any rifle chambered in a legal caliber and either manufactured or modified to be a single shot (capable of holding only one round in the magazine and chamber combined) may be used to hunt deer.

A gun shall be considered a single shot if there is no magazine in the possession of or in close proximity to a hunter in the field, and the gun can only hold a total of one round.

Modification of a rifle originally manufactured as a repeater (a lever action/bolt action/pump action/semi-automatic, etc.) to a single shot can take many forms, including but not limited to:

• not having the detachable magazine in possession or close proximity,
  • removing internal magazine springs and followers,
  • using a plug to block the magazine tube,
  • purchasing “0 round” magazines,
  • or modifying the receiver or internal magazine of the rifle.
Hunters may not be in possession of or in close proximity to a magazine that is capable of making a rifle not a single-shot firearm.

Straight from the IL DNR website. Typical confusing Illinois statute. It appears to me a magazine is permitted as long as it is modified and can not accept any rounds. Does anyone disagree with my interpretation?

Practice, practice, practice and practice more. Practice until the firearm is nothing but an extension of your own body.
My Ruger had a Leupold 2X. I used a round hay bale for a rest and no, I did not set it on fire. RELOADS.
I've succeeded my goal of harvesting with all legal means.
I've taken deer with my pistols, but 70yrds was my furthest. That was with my .460 S & W with a Burris scope on it, in a stand resting on a rail. I always have some kind of pistol with me when it's firearm season. My goal is to take a deer with all my pistols at some point...10mm and up. So far just .460 and 500 S & W. Would have had one about 3 years ago with my CVA ML pistol but I forgot to put the primer in-about a 10yrds directly in front of me. I'm thinking this year will be the year for the CVA pistol since I will hopefully be spending quite a bit of time in IA during late ML season. Would like to take a deer at long range with my smokeless build, and then something at closer range with the pistol.

What rifles are legal to use in Illinois?

Effective Jan. 1, 2023, single-shot rifles may be used to hunt deer in a caliber meeting the law’s criteria.

"Single shot" means a gun that is either manufactured or modified to only be capable of holding a total of one round in the magazine and chamber combined.

"Single shot" does not include a rifle in the possession of a person who is also in possession of or in close proximity to a magazine that would allow the rifle to be capable of holding more than one round or a revolver.

A rifle shall be considered a single shot if there is no magazine in possession of or in close proximity to a hunter in the field and the gun can only hold a total of one round.

Can I use a lever-action/bolt-action/pump-action/semi-automatic rifle for hunting deer in Illinois?

Effective Jan. 1, 2023, any rifle chambered in a legal caliber and either manufactured or modified to be a single shot (capable of holding only one round in the magazine and chamber combined) may be used to hunt deer.

A gun shall be considered a single shot if there is no magazine in the possession of or in close proximity to a hunter in the field, and the gun can only hold a total of one round.

Modification of a rifle originally manufactured as a repeater (a lever action/bolt action/pump action/semi-automatic, etc.) to a single shot can take many forms, including but not limited to:

• not having the detachable magazine in possession or close proximity,
  • removing internal magazine springs and followers,
  • using a plug to block the magazine tube,
  • purchasing “0 round” magazines,
  • or modifying the receiver or internal magazine of the rifle.
Hunters may not be in possession of or in close proximity to a magazine that is capable of making a rifle not a single-shot firearm.

Straight from the IL DNR website. Typical confusing Illinois statute. It appears to me a magazine is permitted as long as it is modified and can not accept any rounds. Does anyone disagree with my interpretation?
Real simple- don't have the magazine on you if it is a rifle that uses a magazine. A lever action, such as a Henry would have to have the tube removed, I assume. What the rationale is behind having only one round instead of 3, like they allow shotguns is beyond me. Typical government logic.

Dropped many of deer at 300yds with a 357 maximum. Not seeing an issue with doing it with the legend.
180gr Hornady SSP at 2300fps was 4 MOA drop at 200yds and still producing enough energy to get the Hornady to do its job at 300yds.
I have a handi rifle in 357 max - its bull type barrel is a little heavy but its nice to let my kids plink away with 38 specials in it - at times thats easier to find than 22LR

Back