Best "Budget" Red dot?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking at getting a Red dot or reflex for my 20g Franchi Affinity, asking people who have experience in this field what the best budget option or option could be, also what "MOA" dots should I be focused on? or does it really matter? this is for a turkey hunting configuration
Also needs to be a docter noblex footprint mounting system.

Last edited:
From my reading, Holosun is an excellent red dot. I opted for a second hand Truglo for me turkey shotgun.

It's been a pain the butt finding a optic that is the same style as the vortex venom/Burris FF3. My sumtoy mount I ordered will have to have that "Dotor cut" pattern, so im looking for alternatives to the vortex and burris as I don't want to shell out 200~ right now

The gold standard of inexpensive red dots is the Bushnell TRS-25. I have had one for about 10 years, works great. Handled the recoil on my FN-FAL just fine, not to mention the 22s and ARs I've put it on. The TRS-25 has a 3moa dot.

Also a fan of the AT3 RD50 - very similar to the TRS-25 but has 2moa dot instead of 3moa dot. Has lifetime warranty. Have two, they've stood up to the FAL, ARs in various calibers (9mm, 762x39, 223) and one is currently on my Howa Mini in 762x39.

Both at/under $80

To get a better dot than either of these you'll need to spend $150+ and look at the Primary Arms offerings as well as the Burris FastFire and similar.

The gold standard of inexpensive red dots is the Bushnell TRS-25. I have had one for about 10 years, works great. Handled the recoil on my FN-FAL just fine, not to mention the 22s and ARs I've put it on. The TRS-25 has a 3moa dot.

Also a fan of the AT3 RD50 - very similar to the TRS-25 but has 2moa dot instead of 3moa dot. Has lifetime warranty. Have two, they've stood up to the FAL, ARs in various calibers (9mm, 762x39, 223) and one is currently on my Howa Mini in 762x39.

Both at/under $80

To get a better dot than either of these you'll need to spend $150+ and look at the Primary Arms offerings as well as the Burris FastFire and similar.
ended up getting a burris FF3 for my franchi 20g, love it! looking at another red dot for my 20g 870, going to check some of these out people have suggested and that bushnell TRS is looking like a good candidate!

I have 2 Vortex Venoms (1 on a Franchi Affinity 3 20ga) and would recommend them. They are both 3moa dots and that seems to be the right size for turkeys. Sumtoy mounts for both. If you plan to reload TSS, I would suggest reloading 2 3/4" shells to avoid any feeding issues as longer shells (roll crimped ones) can be a problem for that gun.

Latest posts

Back