Best early inline muzzleloaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
I have a small collection of Knight LK-93's and an MK-85, in addition to some T/C side hammers. I really like the early Knight in-lines, but wouldn't mind branching out. What else is out there worth looking at? I've thought about some of the early T/C in-lines, especially with walnut stocks. Are they worth looking at? Thanks as always for any feedback.

Of the early inlines most were some sort of "slamfire" type design. I had a TC "Firehawk" and it was a great shooter and good gun except for the fixed breech, the Black Diamond and System One corrected the fixed breech but.....(currently I am just a SML addict) Havent shot any of my smokers since 07 except to demonstrate. The top of the line early inline was/is White Rifles! They are still eagerly sought after as shown by the named forum on this board that is straight White Rifle!. Another good one was "Gonic" but lack of support and parts and an off sized bore design killed them. Of course Knights were favored. Then the Ruger 77/50 was a short lived offering. The Remington 700ML was and still enjoys sum popularity. Most of the early inlines suffered from design flaws that made them hard to maintain and a pita to clean and deal with, particularly the blowback into the actions and bolts. Many were good shooters and the White was particularly accurate. The open slamfire designs was a flaw and has been overcome by most of the new guns offered. If you understand the design drawbacks and are willing to deal with the maintenance problems many are very good shooters and have accounted for lots of game and pleasurable shooting times. Wolfer

I love the striker fired inlines. I've a real fondness for the TC Black Diamonds. I have 2, both XR's. One is a blued .50, the other, a stainless Super 45.
I started with a Traditions Tracker, which my daughter still uses, and had an Mk 85 Knight and a Knight American. Both good, but I like the Black Diamonds better.
However. I recently got a TC ThunderHawk .50 stainless and I think it's the best of the bunch. Superbly accurate and handles better than ANY rifle or shot gun I've ever shouldered.
I also actually prefer the fixed plug to a removable one. Once you get the hang of it, its no harder to clean. If you're used to cleaning side locks, its a breeze.
All of my TC's came with Tupperware stocks. It took some searching , for the 45, but they're all wearing walnut now.
A several advantages of striker fired inlines are: they're legal everywhere, generally are well bedded and quite accurate out of the box, they're very simple and easily maintained and they have full lenght rammers.
True, BH 209 is a no no, but Swiss ( Holy) black is a very fine and reliable powder.
I've gone all muzzleloader and all my rifles are striker fired. I doubt you would be disappointed with one.

As said T/C Firehawk, Thunderhawk, Black Diamond, White rifles, Ruger 77/50 are all very accurate and handle very nicely..
They only take a few more minutes longer to clean then any other muzzleloader so I think that part is a non issue unless you just have no patience to spend time cleaning.
The walnut stocks on these guns have a slimmer profile and feel like a high dollar centerfire stock instead of having the clubby feeling that most but not all synthetic stocks have, plus I just like wood better.
Find a nice one in excellent condition and take care of it and you will enjoy it, they give nothing up in accuracy to the newer guns at all.

Currently i own a .54 caliber TC Fire Hawk, a TC .50 caliber Black Diamond and a cheap old CVA Stag Horn. Both TC guns have nice walnut stocks and handle very nicely in the field. All use number 11 caps. Learned a long time ago that musket caps and 209 primers are not needed. They only make the slam fire guns much dirtier.

Takes me 15-20 minutes to clean one of those rifles.

For me, it's not even close. I've owned/shot most of the rifles mentioned above, and I wouldn't take ant of them over "W" series Whites. Fit, finish, balance, low weight, and if ya like big lead it's hard to beat a S91 .451. The only tool I need to disassemble is a 3/8 not driver. easy to clean and maintain.20190213_175839 (002).jpg

The Whites clean up exactly the same as the Black Diamonds and the Firehawks, pretty much exact same amount of steps(Super 91 is a exception) to take down and put together.. Doubt if they would shoot big lead as good as the Whites but if the QLA was removed I'm guessing they would shoot conicals very well. I love Whites for big lead but to me they don't feel or point as good as a Walnut stocked BD or Firehawk. The factory White stocks would feel really good if they were thinned down a bit and they would be even better if you could get a T/C style Walnut stock that would fit them. My .451 White with a custom made stock is the exception, it has a thin pistol grip and thinner forearm and it feels great in your hands.
I like them all and wouldn't turn down any of them if someone was giving me one..
Forgot about the Walnut stocked MK-85`s love them also.

For me, it's not even close. I've owned/shot most of the rifles mentioned above, and I wouldn't take ant of them over "W" series Whites. Fit, finish, balance, low weight, and if ya like big lead it's hard to beat a S91 .451. The only tool I need to disassemble is a 3/8 not driver. easy to clean and maintain.View attachment 4081

Last edited:
I have 3 different rifles that would be considered early production rifles that i love. The first is a .45 White Thunderbolt the 2nd which really fits me well is a .45 1-20 TC Omega with the laminate thumbhole stock.Third rifle is a .45 1-20 Disk. All three rifles are Blackhorn 209 capable.

Ruger 77/50 with derfhunter conversion is a the nice hunting rig.It may not have the long range capabilities of some but in thick stuff it works fine handles and balances great.I have no complaints about the accuracy.

love the way the 77/50`s handle have owned (wood stocks) 2 of them and wish I would of kept them, they are great in a tree stand also, light,very accurate and easy pointing.

Ruger 77/50 with derfhunter conversion is a the nice hunting rig.It may not have the long range capabilities of some but in thick stuff it works fine handles and balances great.I have no complaints about the accuracy.

I actually like it!! Reminds me of my former White Bison. It has a bull barrel 22" 1:28 twist like the Bison .540 cal. The stock wood seems to be a low grade walnut (could be wrong) but sure looks like it. The gun is beefy like Shawn said. The trigger is very much like a Bold trigger. I have a backup Bold need to switch them out to see, but I bet it will fit.
No, I haven't shot it yet. The gun was full of packing grease, got most of it out an off the stock, but my .54 brushes are toast an have some coming so wasn't able to totally get all the grease out of the rifling. I will do that before I shoot it, an besides the only range I have access to now doesn't open till May 1st.
I'm glad I bought it, can't beat the price!!

I think it was a shame that Ruger gave up on their 77/50. Their was a couple of 209 conversions (breach plug only) that may have been better than the original percussion but the bolt face shroud had only about 30 deg. coverage with the bolt locked down, later version had about 60 deg. coverage but still the bolt face was partially exposed. The present Bolt-Nose conversion eliminates all of this plus the bolt holds the primer for insertion and extraction and becomes a true firing pin method to strike the primer. I've restocked 2 with laminated and they carry well and look great. Mine have excellent triggers (under 4 lbs.), 3 position safeties, Rugers intregal scope mount bases and for those that prefer a peep sight their is a nice one available that attaches to the Ruger intregal scope base in the receiver. P.S. no tools to remove bolt for barrel cleaning and the bolt is easy to dissasemble if cleaning needed.

Back