Best/fastest way to remove lead

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chundoo

Reaction score
I have a old Winchester '92 chambered in 32-20 I picked up at an auction several years ago. The barrel is severely leaded, probably a build up since it was made in 1920. I started working on it some time ago and after long hours over multiple sessions I could finally see the rifling. I've worked on it some more since then but it's still pretty bad.

I'm hoping someone can share a method that might not wear out my shoulder trying to get the rest of it out. Anyone have a gem to share I would be most grateful.

First I would try a patch sized piece of a copper chore boy on a jag and run it thru the bore for about 100 strokes. It should clean out the lead, but if that doesn't work, I would use an "Outers" foul out machine to remove the lead by electrolysis.

I've done the Chore Boy thing, ran thru a couple boxes of it and mabye 500 strokes or more. Been looking for a foul out, let mine go a while back like a dummy, but no luck finding one.

See if you can find a video of a Lewis Lead Remover. I do not think they make a 32 cal head, but if you could see the item in action, you could probably cobble together a suitable head. Perhaps one of their screens between a stiff brush and cleaning rod.

I have used the Lewis Lead Remover for many a decade. It peels the lead out in curly q's.

See if you can find a video of a Lewis Lead Remover. I do not think they make a 32 cal head, but if you could see the item in action, you could probably cobble together a suitable head. Perhaps one of their screens between a stiff brush and cleaning rod.

I have used the Lewis Lead Remover for many a decade. It peels the lead out in curly q's.

Brownell’s (who seem to own the Lewis Lead Remover name, now?) recommends the same adapter and screen size for .30/.32. Naturally, it’s out of stock… 😆

https://www.brownells.com/gun-clean...ead-remover/lewis-lead-remover-prod21587.aspx

Hello. Mp45 on a mop r brush. U can get it at baco. R bronze wool on brush r mop. I like a mop. Dave at baco likes the bronze wool. The mp45 will take it right out. Potter field a Midway uses it on his shotguns. Midway carries it also. Its not expensive.

I got a Mossberg 500 rifled cantilever barrel from a friend, he thought it was junk from rust. I went at the bore with just steel wool at first, when grey powder started falling out i just hosed it down with hoppes lead fouling cleaner for MLs and kept scrubbing with the steel wool till it wasnt coming out grey anymore. Bore looks almost new now, and shoots great. Outside looks like its been thru hell tho. When i showed the friend he wanted me to look at a couple other guns of his and maybe clean them for him. I politely passed, he needs to learn how to do for himself. Got a few friends that dont think they need to clean their guns other than spraying some brake clean thru the receiver area.

Hoppes Benchrest mixed 50/50 with Kroil. Apply it with a bore brush wrapped with some 0000 steel wool. Get it nice and wet. Let it stand 24 hours muzzle down in a plastic dish or junk pan.(prevents the mess from spreading). Brush it again and let it soak until the lead is gone. The Kroil gets under the lead allowing you to get it out. Takes time but not so much shoulder.

You need to purchase uncle slappy's miracle sauce available at my website 9.95 for a 2 ounce container. It works the best.

In all seriousness, I have a modified eds red formula that works absolutely fantastic for both modern rifles and BP. After using hoppes for years I invested in the ingredients to roll my own if you will.

Once I tried it I would never purchase anything otc anymore. Here is the recipe.

1 part tranny fluid (type doesn't matter I use dextron I think)

1 part mineral spirits

1 part diesel fuel

1 part mineral oil

1 part acetone (can be omitted if you are concerned about it melting plastic like a toxic ooze from space. I have NEVER had an issue using this mix on firearms with plastic stocks)

A few drops of peppermint oil or cinnamon oil to mask the smell.

A squeeze of love.

Mix all ingredients in any order.

I was convinced that this is the best when I used it the first time with my bore snake. One pass and the bore was bright with all powder and lead fouling removed.

Initial investment was about 50 bucks. I now have many mason jars of cleaner. And I don't need to be "conservative" with my hoppes.

A squeeze of love.

I read “a few drops of peppermint oil… to mask the smell“ and I thought, “That’s a pretty good idea! Half-Cocked is pretty sharp!” 👍

Very next line is, “A squeeze of love.” I thought, “All right, who let this clown in here?😆😆😆

Last edited:
You need to purchase uncle slappy's miracle sauce available at my website 9.95 for a 2 ounce container. It works the best.

In all seriousness, I have a modified eds red formula that works absolutely fantastic for both modern rifles and BP. After using hoppes for years I invested in the ingredients to roll my own if you will.

Once I tried it I would never purchase anything otc anymore. Here is the recipe.

1 part tranny fluid (type doesn't matter I use dextron I think)

1 part mineral spirits

1 part diesel fuel

1 part mineral oil

1 part acetone (can be omitted if you are concerned about it melting plastic like a toxic ooze from space. I have NEVER had an issue using this mix on firearms with plastic stocks)

A squeeze of love.

Mix all ingredients in any order.
should this recipe be a stickie under wild game recipes? Sounds delish! :dance2:

Latest posts

Back