Best Loads for Knight Disc Extreme

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRD1993

Reaction score
Would anybody be willing to share their best loads for Knight Disc Extreme.50 cal muzzleloader? Also for Knight Wolverine? I’m wanting a highly accurate load for deer hunting (I would like 1” group at 100 yards). Could you share the bullet, bullet weight, powder type and amount of powder, and the type of 209 primer used ? Thanks so much!

My 50 cal Knight DISC Extreme:

- 100 grains BH209 (70 grains by weight)
- Green crush ribbed sabot
- Hornady XTP (non-magnum) 44 cal 300 grain (#44280)
- Winchester 209 primers (Old blue box)

Shot many a deer with this set up!

My 50 cal Knight DISC Extreme:

- 100 grains BH209 (70 grains by weight)
- Green crush ribbed sabot
- Hornady XTP (non-magnum) 44 cal 300 grain (#44280)
- Winchester 209 primers (Old blue box)

Shot many a deer with this set up!

Thanks so much for the help!

My lk93, or wolverine 50 cal,two 50 gr 777 pellets and a 300 gr Barnes expander with supplied sabot, and a Winchester 777 primer. I am ashamed to say this rifle has not been fired since purchasing the disc rifle 12 years ago.

Would anybody be willing to share their best loads for Knight Disc Extreme.50 cal muzzleloader? Also for Knight Wolverine?

I use the same load in both rifles for deer! The only thing different is the ignition system. #11 RWS Dynamit Noble 1075+ caps in the Wolverine or MK and a Bare 209 primer in Lehigh Bare Primer system in the the DISC! With the Lehigh system I use the Winchester W209 primer - but they and a lot of other things are hard to find right. And I use 120 gr. by Vol of T7-2f in the cap guns or the the DISC. But... I also use 120 gr. - Vol in the DISC.

I’m wanting a highly accurate load for deer hunting (I would like 1” group at 100 yards).

You do not mention what type of sighting system you are using, but shooting a 1" group off a bench shouldn't be a problem with either rifle.

Could you share the bullet, bullet weight, powder type and amount of powder, and the type of 209 primer used ? Thanks so much!

Bullet... I have used all kinds of bullet but for deer shooting to 200+ yards I really have settled in on the Lehigh Defense .451x230CF-HP in an MMP HPH-24 black sabot.

You can see the bullet on the right in this picture.

Lehigh-Copper.jpg

This is a print out of the Ballistics for the 230 shooting BH

Lehigh-451x230-BH.jpg

Same bullet using T7 powder

Lehigh-451x230-CF-HP-120-T7.jpg

100 grains volume 777 FFF, MMP black sabot, 300 grain Hornady XTP. 45, Remington Cleanbore primer in red disc. Speer 300 grain Deep Curl or T7 primer work as well.

Would anybody be willing to share their best loads for Knight Disc Extreme.50 cal muzzleloader? Also for Knight Wolverine? I’m wanting a highly accurate load for deer hunting (I would like 1” group at 100 yards). Could you share the bullet, bullet weight, powder type and amount of powder, and the type of 209 primer used ? Thanks so much!
I use BH209 84gr. Weighed Barnes TEZ250gr. Winchester 209 primer Leigh bare primer conversion excellent usually 1" on occasion 1 1/2" killed several deer no problems

I’m noticing everyone is using a 300 grain bullet. I’m also noticing everyone is using 100-120 grains of powder (usually 100 grains), whether 777 or Blackhorn. That must be the sweet spot for the Disc. I guess the heavier 300 grain bullets will be flatter shooting and develop more accuracy? I’ve been trying 250 grain bullets in my Knight and Traditions Nitrofire and haven’t gotten the best groups with the light 250 grain bullets. I’ve used several brands including Hornady. Hornady FTX .452 cal 250 grain have been the best so far but just not what I hoped to achieve.

Last edited:
I had tried 250 grain and actually shot a couple deer but the lighter bullet seemed to not produce the knock down and blood trail as well. On the recommendation of a forum member here I changed to the 300 and got better results. Accuracy wasn't an issue but here in Tennessee pretty much all of my shots are under 100 yards. Others have had great results with 250 grain bullets but this has been what has worked great for me over the years.

I had tried 250 grain and actually shot a couple deer but the lighter bullet seemed to not produce the knock down and blood trail as well. On the recommendation of a forum member here I changed to the 300 and got better results. Accuracy wasn't an issue but here in Tennessee pretty much all of my shots are under 100 yards. Others have had great results with 250 grain bullets but this has been what has worked great for me over the years.
That makes sense. Yeah I’ll switch to 300 grain range. I’m looking at Knight’s website and thinking about buying the Bloodline .50 cal 300 grain bullets and pairing it with 100-120 grains of powder and see what happens.
I’m hunting in Tennessee and Arkansas and rarely shoot at a deer over 100 yards away. But I do want accuracy because I’m trying to hunt in a field around 250 yards long this year.

I have a Knight Elite and it shoots 255 or 300 grain .430 lead bullets from GT Bullets. Along with a green sabot. Shoots 70-100 grains of T7 to the same point of impact. Kills deer like lightning and cheap shooting.

Thanks again guys for your help with finding good loads. I took that Knight Disc Extreme .50 caliber to the range. It has a Leupold VX-Freedom Muzzleloader Scope and Leupold rings and bases. I loaded 120 grains by volume (92 by weight) of Triple Seven Powder behind a Hornady SST .452 caliber 300 grain bullet inside of a Hornady red sabot, and used a Winchester 209 primer inside of a Knight Full Plastic Jacket. I got a 3-shot, .75 MOA group at 100 yards. I’ve never seen a muzzleloader shoot that accurately and never knew sub-MOA was possible with Blackpowder. Before I went to look at my target, I thought I hit once and missed twice! It’s shooting just as well as my Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor now. Thanks again it was a great range day and soon will be a great deer hunt.

All of my muzzleloaders will out shoot the creedmoors that I used to have,,,even my break open CVA accura,,most hunter's- target shooters where I live just have never tried muzzleloading and tweaking a muzzleloader for accuracy.,, I've shot more five shot one whole groups The last 5 years with muzzleloaders than I ever did with ppcs or BR S or 308,, welcome to the world of accurate muzzleloading!!

All of my muzzleloaders will out shoot the creedmoors that I used to have,,,even my break open CVA accura,,most hunter's- target shooters where I live just have never tried muzzleloading and tweaking a muzzleloader for accuracy.,, I've shot more five shot one whole groups The last 5 years with muzzleloaders than I ever did with ppcs or BR S or 308,, welcome to the world of accurate muzzleloading!!
Thanks it’s great to be here. I really underestimated modern inline muzzleloaders. I’m going to start using my Knight Disc Extreme more than my 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Now I’m kinda wanting to invest in the Knight Peregrine 10mm they just introduced. 😂

Thanks again for the help when I was working on making loads for the Knight Disc .50 and .52 caliber! My Knight Disc .50 cal took THREE DEER for me this year! One was a nice six point buck that is with the taxidermist getting mounted. Shot it from 120 yards. That was the longest shot I have ever made on a deer (every deer I have killed has walked within 80 yards of me). I noticed that every time I shoot a deer with a muzzleloader they drop instantly. Needless to say, I am now hooked on muzzleloader hunting.

420 grain no excusess, 80 grv bh209, wool wad under bullet, federal 209a primer, shoots great at 100 yrds
Ingramjets,
just picked up a Knight DISC Extreme and was shooting it today. I’m curious as I was using the No Excuses 420 grain bullet (.503 diameter) with 100 grains (by volume) of Pyrodex P without the wool wad. I was getting pretty decent groups (1-1.5”) at 100 yards. Have you tried the No Excuses without the wad, and if so did it affect the accuracy much if any in your rifle?
The .503’s load real easy and I’m getting decent accuracy, but if the wool wads improve accuracy or ease of loading might order some and try them. Thanks for your response.

I always used a wad. I learned on this forum to use a wad and to not load too hot so as to not lead the barrel. I used 80 gbv. Bh209. No excuses 420 gen. They shot very well I did have a problem with them in the cold. I thought I was doing everything right but had a couple of squib loads. Bullet literally bounced off the window netting of my blind. I’m still not sure the cause. My combination of bullet and wad were not compressing the load enough. I was using a 50 cal wad and .402 bullet. I should probably have used an oversized wad and bigger diameter bullet. This happened to me twice and I made sure the second time the load was seated on powder as hard as I could push. I ended up going to harvester white lightnings with green sabot no problems since

Latest posts

Back