Best long range muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmc5

Reaction score
Hey guys I am looking at purchasing a new muzzleloader and was hoping to get some insight on what everyone thinks would be a great muzzleloader for long range. I have been looking at the Remington 700 uml and the new cva paramount and wanted to see what thoughts were on them or recommendations on something else. Thanks

For a lighter weight carry gun, I would get a CVA Scout V2 in 45-70 and have it converted to a LRMP brass module breech plug. For even more long range, I would get the Remington Ultimate and have it converted to 45 cal Brux barrel with a LRMP brass module breech plug.

IMO both the rifles you mentioned should have their OEM breech plugs replaced with the Gen2 system before even being fired, then you can do with the rifle/s what they were meant to do. Shoot long range.
If you want to go all out, then what BuckDoeHunter mentioned or full blown custom.

Thanks for the replies. Encore50A Is converting over to the Gen2 system a relatively easy change over? BuckDoeHunter is that an easy changeover for the scout? Any thoughts on the knight ultralight? Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Encore50A Is converting over to the Gen2 system a relatively easy change over? BuckDoeHunter is that an easy changeover for the scout? Any thoughts on the knight ultralight? Thanks
Luke created the Gen2 for the Remington Ultimate and has the system for the Paramount. He's a member here. Send him a PM...…… lwh723
Luke has a video explaining the RUM install...……

Very easy for the Scout. Send the barrel to the gunsmith of your choice and have the breech plug installed. I favor the Gen2 system that Encore50A mentioned. I have 2 of those plugs in break aciton 45's and they work flawlessly, the plugs and modules are available from ArrowHead Sporting Goods, I'm not sure if he does the conversions on the Scout though, I had Bestill on this site do mine.

The Ultra-Lite would be a fine rifle but I would get it in a fast twist 45 cal., if that cal. is legal in your state and you plan on hunting with it. But, you would be limited on types of powder that could be shot, black powder and black powder substitutes only, and the bare primer ignition system may or may not leak, if left as a factory rifle.

Encore50A I read a post on another forum I believe you wrote regarding the Remington 700 uml and adding a muzzel brake and also the gen 2. Great information. I have a upcoming whitetail hunt this season and will be ordering a new muzzeloader this week. I am new to the whole long range shooting but want to get the right setup that I can work with and not have to but another gun for awhile. What would your opinion be to go with without going fully custom? Thanks for the info and help

Encore50A I read a post on another forum I believe you wrote regarding the Remington 700 uml and adding a muzzel brake and also the gen 2. Great information. I have a upcoming whitetail hunt this season and will be ordering a new muzzeloader this week. I am new to the whole long range shooting but want to get the right setup that I can work with and not have to but another gun for awhile. What would your opinion be to go with without going fully custom? Thanks for the info and help

If a heavier rifle isn't an issue for you and you decided on a RUM, then before I shot it, I'd have the Gen2 breech plug installed and I'd have a brake installed. I learned there's a huge difference in muzzle brakes and the T-Rex brake is now my brake of choice over a radial.

You must understand this, you shoot 180grs volume of T7 and a 300gr bullet without a brake and once you get your ship back together, you'll look around behind you for your head! Let me advise you, that's a recoil you'll only want to feel once. Even when shooting BH209 with the Gen2 system, when you dump 150grs volume and a 300gr bullet, there's a LOT of recoil even though these rifles are heavy.
I'm not recoil shy. You shoot it, I'll shoot it kind of shooter. But I also have my limits. Installing a QUALITY brake of any kind is what you want. Take my word for it.

Now you know what I mean about shooting a heavy charge without a brake.

Here's how a good brake tames one of these rifles

So I just purchased the new cva paramount. I was back and forth between it and the Remington 700 uml. The paramount seemed to have great reviews so far and I hope I can say I made the right choice. I hope to get to the range this week and see how it handles.

Back