Best Method(s) to Clean Blackpowder Residue?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Strangequirk

Reaction score
I'm curious on what is currently the best way to clean blackpowder residue from my firearms.

In particular I have an 1860 colt replica that was fired & forgotten for decades & is VERY dirty with the "fuzz" that has filled in the barrel.

I know a few ways to get it out but am interested in the current best method(s) to restore this revolver back to safe firing condition.

Thanks.

I would strip it down and soak it in Kroil ,or similar, to get under the " fuzz".
But if it was fired with black powder and left uncleaned for that long, I wouldn't hold much hope that it will ever be a shooter again...

more then likely if its been left for yrs then the barrel will be very badly pitted maybe even totally ruined.. if you can post up a pic of inside of barrel after you run a patch down barrel to clean out fuzz..as said above plug barrel and fill with kroil or penetrating oil and leave sit for a few days.. or better yet get some evaporust and do the same just don't get it on outside bluing as it will eat it away.

Back