Best ML for regular caps in Idaho

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregsalmon

Reaction score
Wondering what the best muzzloader would be if we can’t use 209 or other modern primers? Also Idaho says no sabot.

Traditions deerhunter rifle is an affordable way to get into muzzleloading. 50 caliber, can shoot a patched round ball or conical bullet.
If you shop around online, you can find one for under 300 dollars.

Wondering what the best muzzloader would be if we can’t use 209 or other modern primers? Also Idaho says no sabot.

Take a really good look at a Knight DISC Extreme - Western Edition

Western-DISC-Extreme.jpg

And I would suggest a #11 Mag Cap or an RWS RWS 1075+ cap versus the Musket Cap

Western-11-Shoot.jpg

Wondering if that knight would be legal in Idaho?
I don't see why not.

Home Idaho Fish and Game Toggle navigation Buy a License Hunting

Equipment for Muzzleloader-ONLY Hunts

LEGAL IN MUZZLELOADER-ONLY SEASONS
A muzzle loading rifle or musket which:
  1. Is capable of being loaded ONLY from the muzzle.
  2. Is equipped with a single or double-barrel.
  3. Is loaded ONLY with loose black powder OR other loose synthetic black powder.
  4. Is loaded with a patched round ball OR a conical, unjacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. No sabots.
  5. Is loaded with a projectile that is within .010 of an inch of the bore diameter.
  6. Is equipped ONLY with a flint OR a percussion cap OR a musket cap. 209 primers are prohibited.
  7. Is equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire.
  8. Has no scope, only open or peep sights. Fiber optic open sites are permitted.
  9. Is free of any electronic devices.
  10. Is at least forty-five (.45) caliber for deer, antelope, or mountain lion.
  11. Is at least fifty (.50) caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or black bear.

There’s a reason why Knight calls it the “Western” edition - yes, it’s built to be NW legal.

The Disc can be set up with #11 or musket caps as needed.

TC Hawken, or Renegade in .50 or .54, With Bullshop 460 Grain Bullets

This is a Bone Stock TC Renegade .50 Cal at 260 Yards, just as they came from the Factory, There are a TON of these Old Rifles out there

5 shots at 60 yards to test before going longer range (260 yards above) This rifle shot SEVERAL Bullets REALLY well, Even patched Roundball

All shooting done with OPEN/PEEP sights
1vSe6LD.jpg

sbCh8jS.jpg

kK3cXlq.jpg

Greg - you’re starting the “Great Debate” on barrel twist and bullets...

Edited to correct to correct twist data:

Knight has a 1:28 twist in the .50, and a 1:26 in the .52 caliber. The .52 is being phased out IMHO - it’s never caught on as expected / hoped / etc. But - it’s a good rifle if you are willing to look for the solid bullets.

Reality - the 1:28 is going to do everything you need for Idaho - I was a resident for 51 years, and still hunt there every year that I can. You’ll be fine with a Knight, but you’ll have to put in the homework to get “your” load for the rifle.

The regular posters on here have way more knowledge about what to start with than I do - just ask, and take some notes on where to start.

Idaholewis had some stupid tight groups at what ranges most would say couldn’t be possible with an antique.

sabotloader has posted a number of Knight related information - read his posts and see what is possible with a little time and effort.

My “western” Knight is set up about identical to his - Williams peep and fiber optic front sight, Western ignition pack from Knight.

IMHO - the Knight is the easiest route to take for a NW legal rifle. Not to down play the CVA or TC - I’m just a Knight fan from cost and experience for my needs. And I have a TC Hawken fir the days that nostalgia strikes... 😬

Last edited:
Thanks - I’ll hopefully remember that next time. 🤭

Corrected the post.

Last edited:
Most guys will find a 50cal 1-28 is more than capable of shooting nearly any conical you would want but a 1-24 is a little better. GMB LRH barrels in 50cal were all 1-28. Only the 50cal Sharpshooter was a 1-24.

Thanks for the help. I live in Eastern Washington State. Any recommendations concerning where I can buy, get a peep put on?

I live there too and was able to install my own on my knight bighorn. Good screwdrivers and blue locktite. Got mine off the net. Good place to shop. Williams peep in the rear and Fire site in the front, IMG_0066.JPGIMG_0074.JPG

Cool! Now I want to find somebody to buy a knight from, AND put the sights on.
Maybe even develop a load.

Latest posts

Back