Best Muzzleloader Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRD1993

Reaction score
I have been researching to find the best 209 primers for muzzleloading. I use several Knights (Disc Extreme, BigHorn, Wolverine, and American), CVA (Accura V2 LR), and the new Traditions NitroFire. I have been reading that some 209 primers are too hot and cause the "crud ring" build up in the bore and effect muzzleloader accuracy. Should I use the stronger CCI 209 primers and Winchester 209 primers, or should I use the specialized "muzzleloader" primers like Remington muzzleloader primers, Winchester 777, or Federal Premium 209 muzzleloading primers? Thanks for the help in primers. I am trying to eliminate the "crud ring" problem. Badger Ridge Industries has good information on primer selection and suggest the "muzzleloader 209 primers," while others disagree and suggest the CCI primers. I plan to use Pyrodex or 777 because I am not familiar with BlachHorn 209 yet.

Also, I am wanting to put a Williams FP-Legend Receiver Peep Sight on my Knight Bighorn, but I do not know which Williams front ramp to buy with it. I want to have the hooded front sight but I am not sure which front ramp to buy that is compatible with the Knight BigHorn and allows for the ramp hood to be installed. Thanks for the help!

I have been researching to find the best 209 primers for muzzleloading. I use several Knights (Disc Extreme, BigHorn, Wolverine, and American), CVA (Accura V2 LR), and the new Traditions NitroFire. I have been reading that some 209 primers are too hot and cause the "crud ring" build up in the bore and effect muzzleloader accuracy. Should I use the stronger CCI 209 primers and Winchester 209 primers, or should I use the specialized "muzzleloader" primers like Remington muzzleloader primers, Winchester 777, or Federal Premium 209 muzzleloading primers? Thanks for the help in primers. I am trying to eliminate the "crud ring" problem. Badger Ridge Industries has good information on primer selection and suggest the "muzzleloader 209 primers," while others disagree and suggest the CCI primers. I plan to use Pyrodex or 777 because I am not familiar with BlachHorn 209 yet.

Also, I am wanting to put a Williams FP-Legend Receiver Peep Sight on my Knight Bighorn, but I do not know which Williams front ramp to buy with it. I want to have the hooded front sight but I am not sure which front ramp to buy that is compatible with the Knight BigHorn and allows for the ramp hood to be installed. Thanks for the help!
CCI is all I use in (all) my muzzle loaders , but Fed and Winchester work well . But it is all depending what you find available ,use what you can get/Ed

I always liked the CCI 209M primers. Winchester 209 shotshell primers, I think they come in a red box now, are good. But, as Ed mentioned, whatever you can find these days.

I have been researching to find the best 209 primers for muzzleloading. I use several Knights (Disc Extreme, BigHorn, Wolverine, and American), CVA (Accura V2 LR), and the new Traditions NitroFire.
Well, from what i can dig up the NitroFire fiddlesticks are loaded with (more or less) BlackHorn209 so using reduced power ML primers might not be a good idea. Euro made primers are large OD and wont fit in Knight breech plugs. I think the only one that fits them is the Cheddite but its very short so its probably going to leak in a bare primer system. They should all be ok in red plastic DISCs. Euro primers will fit the CVA.

For Knight bare primer, either Win209, WinT7 or Fed209A
For CVA i would look for Nobel 209/688 . They are a Euro "mag" primer. The 209/686 is their standard primer and its slightly milder than a Win209 but not much.
For the NitroFire i would look at Federals Website and see what they suggest. I would imagine a Fed209A will be the best.

With real BP -Swiss, I did a test in 2013 with all the 209 primers I could find. Remington Kleanbore gave me the tightest groups.
Results showed at the 1st NMLRA in-line match.
5D520582-60C9-4CD6-9C68-4E40FAFDC43A.jpeg

Thanks everyone for the help on 209 primers! I am trying to find the Remington muzzleloader primers, but as many already said, nowadays whatever you can find is the best primer to use.

Well, from what i can dig up the NitroFire fiddlesticks are loaded with (more or less) BlackHorn209 so using reduced power ML primers might not be a good idea. Euro made primers are large OD and wont fit in Knight breech plugs. I think the only one that fits them is the Cheddite but its very short so its probably going to leak in a bare primer system. They should all be ok in red plastic DISCs. Euro primers will fit the CVA.

For Knight bare primer, either Win209, WinT7 or Fed209A
For CVA i would look for Nobel 209/688 . They are a Euro "mag" primer. The 209/686 is their standard primer and its slightly milder than a Win209 but not much.
For the NitroFire i would look at Federals Website and see what they suggest. I would imagine a Fed209A will be the best.

Yeah I think I will use the Federal muzzleloading primers for the NitroFire because the TripleEight powder is very close to Blackhorn 209. They seem to be marketing the Federal muzzleloading 209 primers, Traditions Smackdown Carnivore saboted bullets, and Federal B.O.R. Lock bullets with the Nitrofire.

I am using Knight's Full Plastic Jackets in my Knight rifles. You think the Win209, WinT7 or Fed209A would work decent in a Full Plastic Jacket setup? Thanks!

Back when i had my Knight Mountaineer i used Regular Win 209s, and Fed 209A Primers, My favorite was the Fed 209A, I shot Swiss real blackpowder in my Knight Mountaineer, I could easily have gotten away with the “Specialized” Muzzleloader 209s, But they were not available around here where i live

Primer availability might also help determine which will work best for you? In this particular day & age you can’t be to Picky/Choosy about Primers, They are ALL extremely difficult to come by.

Back when i had my Knight Mountaineer i used Regular Win 209s, and Fed 209A Primers, My favorite was the Fed 209A, I shot Swiss real blackpowder in my Knight Mountaineer, I could easily have gotten away with the “Specialized” Muzzleloader 209s, But they were not available around here where i live

Primer availability might also help determine which will work best for you? In this particular day & age you can’t be to Picky/Choosy about Primers, They are ALL extremely difficult to come by.
Yes they are extremely difficult to find. I hope this ammo shortage ends soon... 😭

Just to add, I recently converted my CVA Optima V2 pistol to use musket caps because I can't find any 209 primers.
Wow sorry to hear about that! I have the same Optima V2 Pistol. Surprisingly when I bought it there were a ton of 209 primers available in store. I’d share if you were nearby.

Wow sorry to hear about that! I have the same Optima V2 Pistol. Surprisingly when I bought it there were a ton of 209 primers available in store. I’d share if you were nearby.
Thanks for the offer.
I have a lot of musket caps on hand and I've found several sources to buy more.
I shoot mostly traditional sidelock rifles and pistols anyway. Real black powder and # 11 percussion caps.

When I built my McSavage 45 I head spaced it to Federal 209A's so I bought a thousand at the same time. Other primers head space differently.

Back