Best open sight?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I hunt out west which requires open sights. What is the best open sight? I’m shooting an Accura MRX. I was looking at the Williams western precision sight set and was wondering what people think about it. Thanks!

Last edited:
I shied away from the western precision set as many commented in reviews that they were awesome punching paper but the front hood made low light field situations very difficult.

Ended up with the eabco peeprib but have only punched paper so far, but I like it and it’s very easy to see and focus.

I have the CVA Durasights on my Optima pistol. Works good for me. I also have a Williams ghost ring sight setup on one of my Traditions deerhunter rifles. Don't know if any of those will fit on your rig.

Are the Williams peep sights field adjustable with your fingers or do you need a tool?

Pretty sure that it's like my ghost ring sight. You need a small screwdriver to make adjustments.
That’s what I thought. With these modern muzzleloaders and the distance you can achieve you kind of limit yourselves with those kind off field adjustments. I think Gunwerks has something but you have to sell the house to buy one.

Are the Williams peep sights field adjustable with your fingers or do you need a tool?
You can get the Target Knob version. Then its field adjustable. There is also a gibb lock knob screw, available from Brownells for $7, that lets you secure the vertical adjustment if you don't want it to move while hunting. It's also a finger knob. I always get the target knob version and add the gibb lock knob. Granted, the Lyman 57 is easier to adjust with its push button release, when you can find one, but Im pretty happy with the Williams.

I’m following this thread too. Need a peep for Colorado for tc triumph bc. Seems Williams or eabco are my logical choices.

Photo shows bottom of slide modified/beveled, to clear stock of Omega Dream Season.

IMG_5373.JPG

I did order a lower front sight after installing my eabco peeprib. It had enough adjustment, but just barely enough as the peep was topped out on the ramp sighting in for 100yds so I went with a tad lower front sight. This was on a cva optima v2 50 cal.

I went with the peeprib so I could mount a scope if I wanted to in the future If I chose to use the muzzy during rifle season or got a 1x scope for muzzy season.

What’s peoples front sight of choice? Sounds like a peep for the rear...but is it better to get a front fiber optic or get crosshairs like the western precision?

Green Fiber Optic! You may have to purchase the green fiber optic rod separately as generally they only come in Red. Green fiber is the first to appear in the early morning and the last to disappear at dusk.

Green Fiber Optic for me also, I like the visibility at dawn & dusk. Those Crosshair Types are great for Targets & Midday.

X3 on a green FO front. Smallest diameter you can get. Most sight companies make red fronts tho.
Pretty common to have to put a lower front on CVAs. Williams has a specific front Fire Sight for Optimas. Bet it works well with that EABCO. I think they only sell it as a set tho.

Latest posts

Back