Best shooting stick setup

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobRed

Reaction score
I’m looking for a simple rugged shooting stick setup that’s easy to take into the woods for hunting whitetail.

Bonus if it’s usable as a walking stick and I’m open to any style that works well.

Any suggestions?

There is an old web page by a guy calling himself Varmint Al. He used a couple of 3/4" square oak or other hardwood pieces about 37" long. A bolt about 5 1/4" from that top held them together. He used a piece of sheepskin from Lowes or Home Depot that is designed for use spreading finish on floors (cheap). the sheepskin was glued to the area that would be in contact with the gun and cut with a utility knife. Drill holes in the bottom end and pound in a nail with the head cut off to stick in the ground.

I made several and my kids killed a lot of deer with them.

Varmint Al used a bullet catch designed for cabinet doors to hold them all the way open so you could use them as a walking stick. I never found a bullet catch and it was never that important to me. I made them in several lengths to fit better when the kids were little.

will attach a photo if I can figure out how.

While hunting in South Africa this year the guides all were using the 4DeadHold Hunting stick. It was a very solid shooting rest and was very light.

Last edited:
I made some similar to these, only I used 48” long sticks, stained them dark brown and added rubber feet to the bottom. They work great when sitting in a ground blind or box blind.

Here are pictures of what I was trying to describe.
I did the same as you but in addition to the rubber cups which work ok but they sometimes slip on wet grass/leaves so in addition to the cups I drilled a hole in the center of the cup and tapped in a galvanized nail then cut it off leaving just about 1" stick out. That helps bite into the ground a little better. It also helps on rocks too which just leaves the rubber cup to protect the end of the sticks from weather. Where the gun rests I wrapped that area of both sticks with that self adhering felt.

Quite often I just find a couple sticks the right size and zip tie them together. When Im done hunting at the end of a trip I break them at the zip tie and throw them back to the woods. Keeping the zip ties. Recycling I think. Green.

Latest posts

Back