Best Swiss

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info. I have pretty much settled on a Postell design for their wind cutting ability from what I have read. But finding them has proved to be a challenge so far. Eventually I will cast my own but prior to getting a mold I want to be certain on the design. Plus, I want to start PPing which means a slick vs a grooved design -- at least from my research. I read one can PP a grooved bullet but slick were preferred. Is that your experience?
I would keep things simple at first. Start with a good greaser and develop a good load. There are enough variables to keep you busy for a while. You can graduate to PP later on. To PP a greaser, you would have to size a .458 down to .443 or so. The 2 wraps of paper would bring the bullet diameter up to about .450. If you are going to patch, start with the right diameter slick and go from there. Have you tried Buffalo arms for bullets? X

I,ve seen some muzzleloader guys shoot PP grooved bullets on here, but slicks are the way to go if your gonna shoot them in a cartridge gun.
yea so have I but most don't cartridge that is

Im rather fond of Gruyere but Ementaller is excellent too. The cave aged Gruyere Kaltbach though has such a nice nutty flavor. Tilsiter is great if you are into something more like a creamy Danish Havarti.:p

Im rather fond of Gruyere but Ementaller is excellent too. The cave aged Gruyere Kaltbach though has such a nice nutty flavor. Tilsiter is great if you are into something more like a creamy Danish Havarti.:p
In my experience, Gruyere causes vertical stringing, while Tilsiter caused hangfires. I believe aged cheddar gave me the best groups overall. Too funny!

Finally found some Postell style .45 cal bullets for sale BUT there are 3 sizes of .45. -- .457, .458, or .459 -- Any recs as to which?
If you haven't slugged your bore, I'd pick the .458 diameter. Industry standard for 45-70 is .450 bore, .458 groove diameter. Do you know the hardness that they supposedly cast them in? Some of the cowboy bullets are as hard as rocks. X

If you haven't slugged your bore, I'd pick the .458 diameter. Industry standard for 45-70 is .450 bore, .458 groove diameter. Do you know the hardness that they supposedly cast them in? Some of the cowboy bullets are as hard as rocks. X
So much to learn here. I did not know that. Thanks for the rec. As to hardness that would be a no. I was on the phone waiting for someone from the company, Grizzly (grizzlycartridge.com) to ask that as well as CUP value but no one came to the phone so I bailed. Will try again next week....

So much to learn here. I did not know that. Thanks for the rec. As to hardness that would be a no. I was on the phone waiting for someone from the company, Grizzly (grizzlycartridge.com) to ask that as well as CUP value but no one came to the phone so I bailed. Will try again next week....
Don't over think things. You need powder, wads, lubed/sized bullets, large rifle primers, cases, drop tube, scale, selection of front apertures, and you REALLY need a hadley eyecup [REALLY]. Bullets should be NO harder that 20:1 Cleaning your cases should be dealt with in another thread. Find your overall loaded case length. Don't over compress your powder. Load up some ammo and go test. [The fun part] X

Don't over think things. You need powder, wads, lubed/sized bullets, large rifle primers, cases, drop tube, scale, selection of front apertures, and you REALLY need a hadley eyecup [REALLY]. Bullets should be NO harder that 20:1 Cleaning your cases should be dealt with in another thread. Find your overall loaded case length. Don't over compress your powder. Load up some ammo and go test. [The fun part] X
I did find that bullets from Grizzly are " cast from virgin alloy and heat-treated to a Brinnel hardness of 18-21."
The box states 1000fps but no CUP value

Latest posts

Back