Best tasting deer I've ever had

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watch the average hunter field dress and skin a deer or hog; then you will understand the concept of "bad tasting meat".

They haul the animal around prior to field dressing, burst the bladder, allow the the hair to contact the meat and generally make a mess of things.. Very few hunters carry water in their truck to wash out the animals body cavity.

Here in Oklahoma commercial meat processing plants are strictly regulated. Anyone is allowed to open a butcher shop for wild game. In 2008 i drew an elk permit for Fort Sill. Got consolation prize-a very nice sow that field dressed over 210 pounds.

Gave the sow to a close friend, who complained of "strong tasting" meat. Told him to bring me some sausage. Wife threw me out the kitchen as i was frying a couple patties, the stuff was rotten. The so called "processor" kept the animal in his cooler for 19 days before processing a rotten animal. Then i met two guys whose elk spoiled at the same place. One promised to kick the guys butt, and he went out of business.

Hogs are another matter. i kill a bunch of wild hogs. When the temperature is over 80-85 degrees F one has about four hours to get the meat cooled before it begins to go bad. i often observe Bubba hauling around intact hogs in the 100 degree F heat.
Over the holidays I watched a “wild in Alaska” or some such tv program…

good lord! One fellow dropped a moose. He proceeded to quarter that critter without removing the hide or making any attempt at keeping hair or dirt off the meat. I felt a little ill just watching the butchery. He removed the quarters on one side and then left it overnight. Went back the next day, rolled the bull over and removed the other quarters, again with no attempt at skinning, or keeping hair or dirt out of the meat. I know it’s cold up there but that animal didn’t freeze overnight and contact with the ground will prevent proper cooling in my experience. I would be surprised if he didn’t have to cut away a big bunch of moose in order to arrive at edible meat. Pity.

good lord! One fellow dropped a moose. He proceeded to quarter that critter without removing the hide or making any attempt at keeping hair or dirt off the meat. I felt a little ill just watching the butchery. He removed the quarters on one side and then left it overnight. Went back the next day, rolled the bull over and removed the other quarters, again with no attempt at skinning, or keeping hair or dirt out of the meat. I know it’s cold up there but that animal didn’t freeze overnight and contact with the ground will prevent proper cooling in my experience. I would be surprised if he didn’t have to cut away a big bunch of moose in order to arrive at edible meat. Pity.
Dip the meat in chocolate, break out some red Mad Dog 2020 (preferably 1978 vintage), and enjoy a nice salt lick for dessert. Meat will somehow taste better and you'll earn a spot on the local cardiologist's 2022 Christmas list

Just because he lives in Alaska doesn't necessarily mean he knows what he is doing.
Those shows apparently move from one vignette to another and that’s the show.

There were at least four people being followed by the “reality” cameras and producers. As near as I could tell none had any real clue about what they were supposed to be doing except the one fellow using an “Alaskan” chain saw mill to mill logs for his home. He was a craftsman, even if the producers had him doing some risky work for someone who’s “alone in the bush, miles from medical care.”

I watched that episode and thought the exact same thing.

Aging venison is key to having excellent tasting meat! I take mine to a processor that hangs mine for 2 to 3 weeks before it’s cut! It’s been the best tasting venison I’ve ever had bar none.

Back