Best tasting deer I've ever had

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arlo Guthrie song
"And friends, somewhere in Washington enshrined in some little folder, is a
Study in black and white of my fingerprints. And the only reason I'm
Singing you this song now is cause you may know somebody in a similar
Situation, or you may be in a similar situation, and if your in a
Situation like that there's only one thing you can do and that's walk into
The shrink wherever you are, just walk in say "Shrink, You can get
Anything you want, at Alice's restaurant.". And walk out. You know, if
One person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and
They won't take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony,
They may think they're both faggots and they won't take either of them.
And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in
Singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an
Organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day, I said
Fifty people a day walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and
Walking out. And friends they may thinks it's a movement."
Child of the 60's here & a long haired countryboy/rock n roller & musician. I knew exactly what your reference was. Awesome song that brings back many fun & fond memories.

Arlo Guthrie song
Oh the days. lmao

When I hunted near Tucson, I had an old refrigerator outside. I'd take out the shelves and put the entire deer in to keep it cool. Now I have a 150 qt. ice chest and I take 3 or 4 frozen gallon milk jugs. I almost always debone my meat in the field. It cools the meat much faster, and I can fit an entire elk in my cooler. If it is cold enough at night, I'll lay the plastic bags of meat on the bed of the truck to cool (I have a shell). I often leave it in the cooler for a week with no issues.

When I worked, I took my meat to a butcher who is vegetarian (go figure). I was amazed at how little meat I got back. I think they waste a lot just to be efficient. I get 15 lbs. of scrap off an elk, and my dogs are happy.

I used to hunt antelope just south of the Grand Canyon. They tasted terrible. The last antelope I shot here in NM was feeding in a wheat field. Delicious. It is all about what they eat, and how fast you cool them.

When I was young and dumber, we were chasing antelope around a fenced section. They don't like to cross fences. They ran back and forth a few times and I told my buddy to wait by the water tank. They got thirsty and he got a shot at 80 yards.

I once dug a ground blind with a seat in it with just my head sticking up above ground with a few tumbleweeds to hde me. There was a puddle of water about 20 yards away. I'm not a patient man, so I took a good book to read. The book was really good. i heard a noise, and looked up to see a buck running away. I'll never know how close he came.

My buddy fell asleep waiting for prairie dogs to come back out. He woke up with an antelope licking his boot. I've used a 3 piece cleaning rod with a Walmart bag on top to entice antelope to come closer. My dad just put his hat on his rifle and waved it. Antelope are curious.

On a bow hunt, I placed my buddy at a fence corner, and herded the antelope towards that corner. He had a buck within 20 yards, but the doe was in front of him.

" I don't want a pickle, just want to ride my motorcycle" Arlo
One of the things I learned hunting the swamps,was gut and butcher first,then soak in cold water,for a few days, in the club I was with there were two old times from the late 40 's who would dry the meat off and then transfer it to a dry cooler and cover it with coke a cola and let set 3 days, then cook as need in the camp, I have never tasted better

" I don't want a pickle, just want to ride my motorcycle" Arlo
One of the things I learned hunting the swamps,was gut and butcher first,then soak in cold water,for a few days, in the club I was with there were two old times from the late 40 's who would dry the meat off and then transfer it to a dry cooler and cover it with coke a cola and let set 3 days, then cook as need in the camp, I have never tasted better
I love that song. Bein an old-school biker its very fitting too.

Arlo Guthrie song
My family had some of my Aunt Joan's prune turn-overs this past holiday week.
Big movement...

Herters a long time ago put out some decent down to earth cooking and living books. They are collectable now. I have several cooking books and my first wife inspired me to buy one called "How to live with a *****".
Here are some of my deer butchering tips.

Rule #1 Get rid of animal heat as fast as possible, skin, open to air, drain blood, ect

Rule #2 remove by water/clean cloths any blood or body fluids that is evident.

Rule #3 Let the meat rest, two or more days, before final processing, keep cool and don’t let it dry out. I make an exception for sweet meat, Have it with eggs next day or two.

Blood can be removed from meat by soaking with Non iodized salt (IE kosher salt). Use Iodized salt at the table, not cooking or preserving. Iodine will toughen meat. Try salting fish with iodine salt. It will bounce off the floor. Ask me how I know.

Gameness/final traces of blood can be removed by soaking with buttermilk overnight, then light rinse or wipe off. Recommended for all urban deer, that don't eat the good stuff..

Clean and sanitize knives every different step.

Remove as much as possible all traces of tallow and muscle membranes from deer for your consumption, not necessary for the dog. She knows when hers is cooking by the smell of tallow. Take care to remove all green glands in meat, normally surrounded by tallow and the glands in neck. If you nick one or cut one, clean the knife well.
Buy a vacuum packer and don't look back.

Herters a long time ago put out some decent down to earth cooking and living books. They are collectable now. I have several cooking books and my first wife inspired me to buy one called "How to live with a *****".
Here are some of my deer butchering tips.

Rule #1 Get rid of animal heat as fast as possible, skin, open to air, drain blood, ect

Rule #2 remove by water/clean cloths any blood or body fluids that is evident.

Rule #3 Let the meat rest, two or more days, before final processing, keep cool and don’t let it dry out. I make an exception for sweet meat, Have it with eggs next day or two.

Blood can be removed from meat by soaking with Non iodized salt (IE kosher salt). Use Iodized salt at the table, not cooking or preserving. Iodine will toughen meat. Try salting fish with iodine salt. It will bounce off the floor. Ask me how I know.

Gameness/final traces of blood can be removed by soaking with buttermilk overnight, then light rinse or wipe off. Recommended for all urban deer, that don't eat the good stuff..

Clean and sanitize knives every different step.

Remove as much as possible all traces of tallow and muscle membranes from deer for your consumption, not necessary for the dog. She knows when hers is cooking by the smell of tallow. Take care to remove all green glands in meat, normally surrounded by tallow and the glands in neck. If you nick one or cut one, clean the knife well.
Buy a vacuum packer and don't look back.
Thanks for a great post.

Back