Best Way To Antique Brass?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
I want to antique the brass on a T/C Hawken I just picked up.
Suggestions?

I put some Birchwood-Casey Brass Black on a piece of highly polished brass and after several coats it darkened the brass to a very attractive shiny bluish color. Not antiqued at all but I like it a lot and I've left it like that.

I took another piece and suspended it over ammonia in a closed container and let the fumes get to it. That eventually caused an antique appearing patina on the brass. That looks more random and authentic.

Suspend the pieces in a jar above an inch or so of vinegar, not in the vinegar, it is the gas off that will turn the brass. I make a few air holes in the lid, suspension wire through lid and let the piece hang, check every couple days, Ammonia is faster, but if you let it go too long, it won't be pleasant.... Lightly wipe the piece with 3x steel wool and let it go again. It will look more natural (and it is) than staining. This works, I have used it for many years. Just be sure to remove any "finish" that may have been applied to the brass.

JUST take a dirty wet patch that you have used to clean the bore and wipe / rub it onto the brass and, VIOLA!, instant antiqued brass. and it is FREE!!.

I use gun blue until it looks the way I want and oil it when done. Light use of brass wool between applications.

as I said just rub BP, residue from a dirty BP, patch on it and an you will have an instant ANTIQUE FINISH, and it is a bugger to remove. why not give it a try??

lI would also use a dirty patch from cleaning one of my rifles, it patinated the brass instantly .

that is the way to go! when you are done cleaning your weapon take the dirty patches with the juice & crud on them and rub them onto any brass and VIOLA! instant antiqued brass.

Latest posts

Back