Bestill Creations thoughts part 2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see where you could take what i said as being seperate ingredients as fuel /oxidizer . Im aware its not . But ratios of its chemical mix is fixed by lot /batch . Thats QC and thats a window tolerance . Thats the issue and difference in performance /mass . It IS worse than splitting hairs in a complex manfacturing process . Thats why its been blended/adjusted the way it has and reccomended to be used a predetermined way in controled labratory testing as a sub . The generally accepted standard has been volume measured . It works and has worked . Much has been put into that goal .
Many will also continue to weigh it . The confusion will continue . Thats the sad part of this with safety at stake .

There is no confusion on my end. Weighing for me works fine. I have a chrono. I understand the difference in lots. When its easier for me to use volume i will. Simple fact is its not easier for me. I push a button and a load drops in a pan that goes right into a powder tube. I know all my loads weigh within a half grain or less. I know all my loads should be so close in volume it wont make any difference in harmonics.

Western gives load data for BH209 for cartridges. Its all in WEIGHT. There is no confusion unless you try to make it confusing.

For an overwhelming percentage of hunters, rather they use it by volume or weight isn't going to matter.... unless... they over charge their rifles, as with any other propellant. What they need is an accurate charge for hunting.
There's a HUGE safety factor built into BH209...... but, that doesn't mean shooters shouldn't follow the information provided by Western and not exceed the maximum charge/s listed.

I use a RCBS mechanical measure to drop all my charges BY VOLUME. Its set and locked for the specific 5# lot of BH I am currently using. What does surprise me is, it drops repeatedly to within < 1gr at 84grs by weight, which is where the lock is set for this specific lot of BH. I still weigh every charge dropped.
IF......... they ever allow us back on the club range, I'll determine my dope to 500yds with this lot and record it. When I'm on my next 5# lot, I'll throw the same VOLUME charges from the RCBS measure, use the same bullet and procedures. If VOLUME is correct and all other things being equal, I shouldn't have to significantly change my turret settings. Right?
Or.......... should I just find the bullet and velocity my specific rifle likes the best with my current lot of BH, then when a new lot comes along, adjust my charge to match the velocity of the current lot?

The real issue here is, we're still dealing with a muzzleloader and there are many contributing factors. Find what is accurate for what your intentions are.

Last edited:
There is no confusion on my end. Weighing for me works fine. I have a chrono. I understand the difference in lots. When its easier for me to use volume i will. Simple fact is its not easier for me. I push a button and a load drops in a pan that goes right into a powder tube. I know all my loads weigh within a half grain or less. I know all my loads should be so close in volume it wont make any difference in harmonics.

Western gives load data for BH209 for cartridges. Its all in WEIGHT. There is no confusion unless you try to make it confusing.
For a newbie lurker i hope thats so . The cats outa the bag now ..........

Latest posts

Back