Bestill custom .32 in the woods

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Squirrel season came in Saturday and I killed 3 with the air rifle, today was the .32s turn..should of killed my limit but my offhand shooting straight up in 70 ft shag bark hickories isn't as good as it was a few years ago(only go for head shots) shot at 7 killed 3 longest shot was about
30 yds or so, the other 2 were way up in the tops shooting straight up. Seen the most squirrels Ive seen in 2 trees in a long time, there were probably 25 greys cutting in 2 trees, sounded like it was raining.
Did kill a lone fox squirrel which are becoming rare around here anymore.
Load was 25 gr BH209 w/patched roundball, very hard on squirrel noggins.
20200817_091546.jpg.

That's got to be a fun hunt. I have a .45 cal CVA Kodiak that shoots so accurate at 100 yards I think I could head shoot squirrels at normal hunting distances....I just don't care to eat the critters.

Squirrel meat is really good fixed right.
I have had them for supper since I was a youngster. Hunted them since even while stationed in S. Dakota.

Dean, find any warbles in the grays?

I havent found a warble in any squirrels for probably close to 20 yrs, back in my younger days when I hunted down farther in southern Indiana used to get a few that had them.. Ive actually killed more rabbits that have had warbles then squirrels.

One of the 1st Gen German/American machinists that I worked with as a teenager would have his wife make sour rabbit, and sour squirrel, and dumplings any time some co-worker would bring in some wild game. I got to taste it, and I really liked it compared to sour beef and dumplings.

I havent found a warble in any squirrels for probably close to 20 yrs, back in my younger days when I hunted down farther in southern Indiana used to get a few that had them.. Ive actually killed more rabbits that have had warbles then squirrels.
Yes, in Maryland where I'm from & into Pa. Wva. we had what we knew them as Delmarva fox squirrels. They were illegal to hunt them. I'm in Fl now & we have some really cool fox squirrels here, they're beautiful. We have a few families of them around the house all the time. I literally grew up squirrel hunting from 8yrs old on. I've raised 5 grey squirrels from the size of mice & fed them diluted baby formula with an eyedropper until they were weaned. They made awesome pets when ya have the one with the right temperament that totally bonds with a person. I've built trusting relationships with numerous wild squirrels that I hand fed/ I lost all desire to hunt them any longer. I'll still eat the heck outta them when cooked right though. I forgot to mention, so this is edit: we didn't shoot rabbits until after the first frost/ Then them disgusting things are gone from them, squirrels too. Another thing, deer huntin after the first frost they were pretty much rid of the ticks that normally cover them in warmer weather.

Last edited:
One of the 1st Gen German/American machinists that I worked with as a teenager would have his wife make sour rabbit, and sour squirrel, and dumplings any time some co-worker would bring in some wild game. I got to taste it, and I really liked it compared to sour beef and dumplings.
Awe heck yeah Bruce, now thats country right there. Daggone the wonderful memories of my grandmaw or one of my aunts - all good ole countrywomen s good ole country cookin like squirrel flowered & S & P in fried in bacon grease & cast iron skillet normally then in a dutch oven then white pan gravy with either tatters or biscuits.& gravy was always a delight to stick to yer ribs as they say.

Ive killed deer around here when its in the 20`s and they still have been covered in ticks..if we get even a slight warm up the ticks are back out even in Jan/Feb.
I cook my squirrels in bacon grease also way better then Crisco or any type of oil.. nothing better then squirrels/gravy biscuits etc except maybe rabbit fixed the same way.

Ive killed deer around here when its in the 20`s and they still have been covered in ticks..if we get even a slight warm up the ticks are back out even in Jan/Feb.
I cook my squirrels in bacon grease also way better then Crisco or any type of oil.. nothing better then squirrels/gravy biscuits etc except maybe rabbit fixed the same way.
I'm in north central Fl now & its still takin some gettin use to huntin in the lighest camo i could find & still be drenched in sweat & thick clouds of rebel skeeters on a tear down here. No snow for tracking times here & tracking in overgrowth & pine tree rows ain't for no rookie & havin to process everything that day gettin covered in deer ticks unless ya got a walk in box to hang your meat in. Its too hot most ot the time to let your deer hang & cure some before processing. Thats rather taxing on an old outta shape feller.

Warbles are bad in early September here in VA. I see them in gray squirrel's but not in fox squirrel's. Never saw them in rabbits due to season opens after frost in November.
Tick's are bad some year's even late season in deer.

What's a warble?

Bot Fly larvae that grows between the skin and the meat. Disgusting "worm" that can occasionally be found in game when it is still warm out. It does not get into the meat, so it is safe to eat the meat after the critter has been skinned, but it is nasty looking!!!!! I have only ever found one, and it was in a fox squirrel.

Great shooting Dean! Good start to your season. I really like the looks of that .32 of yours too!:drooling:

Back