Bestill UltraLite Breech Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you used loctite, would that stop the snout of the plug from getting residue on it? Would the permatex sealant do the same thing as the loctite?

Last edited:
you may do what you want but real test is shoot about 20 black powder shots, Like man said eventually it will gas cut threads

The loctite cured, of course the shooter was antsy to shoot the rifle. Breech plug core installed in sleeve, nothing on threads. Rifle was loaded 90 grain Blackhorn, poly wad, 260g 45 caliber Speer HP, Federal 209A primer, 13 times. Photo shows breech plug after shooting, after removal from rifle.

IMG_4595.JPG

IMG_4599.JPG

IMG_4600.JPG

Photo shows plug after cleaning, just before reinstalling in loctite sleeve, in rifle, nothing on threads.

IMG_4601.JPG

IMG_4605.JPG

IMG_4603.JPG

It has been about a week since the sleeve was adhered to the barrel with the loctite. It has worked perfectly. No blow by around the breech plug; no blow by around the primer. The plug is removed easily after returning to the house.

Photo shows the plug after 9 shots this morning. Load was 90 or so grain of Blackhorn, poly wad, 260g Speer 45 caliber HP, Federal 209A primer.

IMG_4616.JPG

IMG_4617.JPG

Was able to do shooting out 204 yard. First shot from a cold fouled barrel. Six shots at the low target, then elevation dial adjustment, then three shots at the upper target.

IMG_4614.JPG

IMG_4613.JPG

The clean breech plug was stood next to a standard Knight breech plug. Jeff' plug seals on the ring at the top of the threads; requires nothing else to make the seal. No oil, grease, nor tape is required for the seal. The Knight plug does not seal at all. One needs to make it seal, in this case, using the plumber tape.

Last edited:
No, the bushing stays in place while cleaning. Do run a 5/32 drill through carbon in flame channel down to bushing. Not too worried the drill will cut the bushing.

Am nervous about the bushing breaking if it is removed during the cleaning.

Have measured the flash hole a few times, it began at 0.032", now it measures 0.031". Seems to be wearing much better than any vent liner.

I've beat on my tungsten carbide bushings fairly hard and never had one break but I have seen a pure tungsten bushing break just from shooting. I like it when they wear backwards, makes them last longer that way:2cool:

I personally recommend never removing bushing until needs replaced.

Driving the bushing out most definitely can break it.

I still wrap 2 pc plug with teflon tape and then put alittle gun oil on tape after wrapping for easier cleaning.

Day after day after day of shooting, and once again the breech plug makes a seal. Fifteen shots through the plug this time. No plumber tape, no oil, no grease on the thread. Dry plug, dry plug screwed into the rifle. Note the ring at the bottom of the threads is bright, and shiny. This is the seal.

IMG_4627.JPG

Thank you Jeff! This is a bright, and shiny seal, yes it is. Thank you Jeff!

It doesn’t leak out the back, but you still get fouling in the threads. I would be concerned about not being able to remove this from the glued in, threaded bushing in the breech.
I accept that it does, but don’t understand, how this makes it easier to pull and clean.

Agree, it is puzzling. There certainly is soot in at least half the threads.

IMG_4617.JPG

Me, i don't understand why, the plug is so easy to remove, but it truly is. When turning out the plug, it feels like it is clean, coated with slippery stuff. It turns out with no resistance, and one can see the soot in the threads. Perhaps using Blackhorn makes it so??

Using this plug makes my life easier. It is long enough there is no blow by around the primer. No blow by around the plug. One is tempted to label it 'perfection'.

A simple thing is no plumber tape is used to make the seal. This means there is no plumber tape to clean up. No grease is used to make the seal. No grease to clean up.

To clean, one removes the soot from the threads, and nose. One drills out the carbon in the flame channel. One sees no soot in the primer socket. One measures the flash hole at 0.031".

One installs the plug into the rifle.

These rear sealing plugs just flat out work.
Although I'm not shooting a Knight, I am shooting a rear sealing plug and BH209. The rear sealing Arrowhead plug in the UF, came out as easy as it installed and after 25 rounds. My current rear sealing plug is identical, in both insertion and removal.
I do though see a significant difference between Ron's removed BP vs either my UF or my current rifle's BP. Mine are much cleaner, which may be attributed to module use vs 209 primers???

Back