Bestill UltraLite Breech Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
National Champion , been shooting and winning with one since developed, I might add a stock Knight Rifle , only thing added is this plug. Mr. Doug S.

...........I do though see a significant difference between Ron's removed BP vs either my UF or my current rifle's BP. Mine are much cleaner.................,

George,

You probably use a little oil on your plugs? Mine has been installed dry. Just installed it with some thin oil on it. Next time out will see if it makes a difference.?.

George,

You probably use a little oil on your plugs? Mine has been installed dry. Just installed it with some thin oil on it. Next time out will see if it makes a difference.?.
I do put the ….. slightest..... amount of light oil on my plug. No more than a single drop, which I wipe most of it off with a paper towel. I use and old tooth brush to brush it around and into the plug threads.

This plug has always been installed dry. Just installed it with some thin oil on it. Next time out will see if it makes a difference.?.

IMG_4657.JPG

No difference noticed in removal; was quite easy, as it was without oil. However, there is a difference.

The soot combined with the oil and made a soot soup filling all the threads. Easy to clean -- no other issue. Advantage or no??

.........I am considering this plug for my knight but my lehigh is working well,..........

My Lehigh plug was working well, as well. Was happy with how it worked. One day a new box of W209 primers was purchased. That is when i panicked. The primers were shorter than the W209 in old boxes on the shelf here.

The main reason for this plug was so the head space could be controlled to fit the new shorter W209 primers, and at the same time, 209A primers.

It turns out the rear seal works good, Am enjoying this breech plug; am pleased.

My Lehigh plug was working well, as well. Was happy with how it worked. One day a new box of W209 primers was purchased. That is when i panicked. The primers were shorter than the W209 in old boxes on the shelf here.

The main reason for this plug was so the head space could be controlled to fit the new shorter W209 primers, and at the same time, 209A primers.

It turns out the rear seal works good, Am enjoying this breech plug; am pleased.
does bestill make a version of it that uses lrmp's

IMG_4657.JPG

No difference noticed in removal; was quite easy, as it was without oil. However, there is a difference.

The soot combined with the oil and made a soot soup filling all the threads. Easy to clean -- no other issue. Advantage or no??

I'm far from being an expert and I know we're dealing with different breech plugs, although both rear sealing.
The two different module breech plugs (UF & current) leave a smooth powdery type residue. Best I can explain it ;) Someone who didn't know or understand in the least, wouldn't know my breech plugs are fouled.

As for the slightest drop of oil, I just follow directions :)

OK - so I am just wondering - shooting BH why do you need oil or tape? I have shot several shots with BH and a dry plug - no sign of any problems.

Last edited:
OK - so I am just wondering - shooting BH why do you need oil or tape? I have shot several shots with and a dry plug - no sign of any problems.

For me, it is what was recommended by the builder.
Its also because I shoot both types of propellants from my custom, so I do everything exactly the same not knowing which propellant I may shoot next. So I rely on the builder's recommendation and remain with one constant method.
When I do get a chance to shoot, I send quite a few rounds and if I'm at the club, its an all day session with anywhere from 25-50 rounds.

Encore - I think I understand why Jeff would recommend the tad of oil since he really doesn't really know which powder you might be using.

I also understand the 25-50 shots at a range session - although I have only managed 31 shots at one session.

But when you look at Ron's removed plug it looks much like my taped plug when I remove it while shooting T7.

I do totally agree that a rear sealing plug is the better plug over all. And certainly Jeff's is one of the better ones -Luke also makes some really good plugs.

Encore - I think I understand why Jeff would recommend the tad of oil since he really doesn't really know which powder you might be using.

I also understand the 25-50 shots at a range session - although I have only managed 31 shots at one session.

But when you look at Ron's removed plug it looks much like my taped plug when I remove it while shooting T7.

I do totally agree that a rear sealing plug is the better plug over all. And certainly Jeff's is one of the better ones -Luke also makes some really good plugs.
Next time I shoot and remove my plug, I'll take a photo of it as it comes out. Not a Knight, but still rear sealing. I know I mentioned this once before, but there's no crud/particles showing like in Ron's photo, even when shooting 84/120grs. I'm thinking that has to do with the modules ?

Next time I shoot and remove my plug, I'll take a photo of it as it comes out. Not a Knight, but still rear sealing. I know I mentioned this once before, but there's no crud/particles showing like in Ron's photo, even when shooting 84/120grs. I'm thinking that has to do with the modules ?

Forgot about the modules - that could have something to do with it.

From my personal experience i have found wrapping the o.d. of breech plug with white teflon tape and then apply a little oil to wrapped plug.
This has worked well for me. I don't rely on tape for any sealing function just simply the tape and oil combination allows for super easy clean up. I remove plug and use compressed air to blow out internal threads of barrel then I use non chlorinated brakleen to flush out barrel threads then blow out with compressed air then clean barrel from chamber end to muzzle with patches and hoppes when using blackhorn .

Now breech plug gets flame channel cleared with proper drill bit and washed with brakleen and compressed air.
I pin guage flash hole to verify its under

Then I wrap plug with teflon tape and light oil on tape and reinstall.
This gives comfort of easy clean next time and corrosion free interference fit of breech threads.

I have tried many other options like never sieze or grease definitely works but makes a mess .
A dry clean breech plug will work but seems harder to clean for me and no corrosion control.

Just my thoughts and personal perspective.
Thanks Jeff

From my personal experience i have found wrapping the o.d. of breech plug with white teflon tape and then apply a little oil to wrapped plug.
This has worked well for me. I don't rely on tape for any sealing function just simply the tape and oil combination allows for super easy clean up. I remove plug and use compressed air to blow out internal threads of barrel then I use non chlorinated brakleen to flush out barrel threads then blow out with compressed air then clean barrel from chamber end to muzzle with patches and hoppes when using blackhorn .

Now breech plug gets flame channel cleared with proper drill bit and washed with brakleen and compressed air.
I pin guage flash hole to verify its under

Then I wrap plug with teflon tape and light oil on tape and reinstall.
This gives comfort of easy clean next time and corrosion free interference fit of breech threads.

I have tried many other options like never sieze or grease definitely works but makes a mess .
A dry clean breech plug will work but seems harder to clean for me and no corrosion control.

Just my thoughts and personal perspective.
Thanks Jeff

What brand of Gun Oil are you using Jeff? Back when i tried this I found that the Gun oil i tried (Red Lucas) Reacted to the Teflon tape and Made a mess out of it, i used a Very small amount, it was almost like it Desolved/melted it?

What brand of Gun Oil are you using Jeff? Back when i tried this I found that the Gun oil i tried (Red Lucas) Reacted to the Teflon tape and Made a mess out of it, i used a Very small amount, it was almost like it Desolved/melted it?
I’ve wondered about that red Lucas oil. The rep drops off a bunch from time to time at the hospital. They supply the oil for our vacuum pumps/control air compressors. I’ve not tried it yet. Looks like ATF to me. I think I’ve smelled it and put a drop on my finger a time or two, don’t remember if it smelled like ATF. Somebody always steals my little bottle I tuck away and forget to take home.

Latest posts

Back