Beware of October Country, & their Bait & Switch. When I returned the items, they would Not pay the return postage.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I bought two of the Tradition's Bore Lights from October Country for a total of $29.34 with tax. I received the RMC Ox-Yokes in their stead. I called October Country and was told they were out of the Traditions but sent the RMCs, which were more expensive (around $14) They did not charge me for the difference.

I explained BACO sold the RMCs for $9.79 and I sent them the link. I wasn't going to keep the wrong item for that price. I was given the opportunity to return them, which I did. Initially I was told the return postage was on me. When I protested this was due to their error, they relented.

I was given a $29.34 refund for my purchase but not for the $16.35 return postage.
Due to October Country's error, I was given a product I didn't order, and to returned them, I was forced to pay the return postage.

BACO sells the RMC bore lights for $9.79
. October Country initially sold them for over $14 and have since lowered the price to match their Traditions price of $12.39.

Attachments

• BACO_RMC Bore Light.PNG
    BACO_RMC Bore Light.PNG
    137.9 KB · Views: 0
  • October Country RMC Bore Light.PNG
    October Country RMC Bore Light.PNG
    445.9 KB · Views: 0
  • October Country Traditions Bore Light.PNG
    October Country Traditions Bore Light.PNG
    153.8 KB · Views: 0
  • USPS Postage Paid.PNG
    USPS Postage Paid.PNG
    167.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Order Summary.PNG
    Order Summary.PNG
    126.3 KB · Views: 0
  • October Country Refund_Pic of Redacted.png
    October Country Refund_Pic of Redacted.png
    271 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I was about to place an order this weekend with October County (around $75) for prelubed shooting patches, cleaning patches, Choke Tube Lube and Ballistol.

I'll shop elsewhere now.

prelubed shooting patches, cleaning patches, Choke Tube Lube and Ballistol.
I was surprised at how high their prices are compared with other Internet retailers. You may want to check other sites.

These are well known Muzzleloader sites with good prices.
BACO (Buffalo Arms Co.) has everything
Deer Creek has great prices on patches of all kinds & decent prices on all else they carry

https://www.buffaloarms.com/https://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/c1/Featured.html
You also have the well established sites like Midway USA & Mid-South Shooters

I search for good prices on the internet. That's how I got caught in the Bait & Switch.

I've had similar issues with online retailers in the past. I contact them and give them one shot to make it right, then go right to the Better Business Bureau and file an online complaint. I've only had to do that about four times over the last three years, but each one has resulted in pretty much my original request being met.

Thank you. I did just that.
I didn't know I could do it online. The last time I used them, it was by phone and the internet didn't exist.
You're welcome. It's almost comical how quickly some of them respond, stating they value their customers and want to make things right. If that were the case, you wouldn't need to file a complaint.

Hope you get good results.

It's almost comical how quickly some of them respond, stating they value their customers and want to make things right. If that were the case, you wouldn't need to file a complaint.
The way this worked out so far, I would guess I'm not the only one this has happened to, I got caught in a typical Bait & Switch. This had to be thought out by them ahead of time, so we shall see.

This is October Country's response to my going to the Better Business Bureau.
They are making their mistake, my fault. I could have kept their substitution... BS It wasn't what I ordered nor what I wanted!

Dan,

We offered to let you keep the RMC Bore Light for the same price as the TRAD Bore Light, which would have worked, and has for other customers, saving you the time and expense to return the order. You chose to return the order because we would not match Buffalo Arms price. You originally paid $4.56 to ship the order to you via First Class USPS mail, but chose to return it via priority mail and insure it for $16.35 which we did not authorize you to do. That was your choice, not ours, and we will not reimburse you for the method you chose to return without authorization. We have been in business for 42 years, and are obviously doing something right to continue a successsfull business. While companies cannot claim to please all the people all the time, we receive far more positive reviews than negative ones. We are not concerned about your negative review putting our business in harms way.

If you wish to pursue this further, please call or email us, and the Owner of the company will be happy to reiterate the above to you.

Thank you,
Donna
October Country Muzzleloading
208-762-4903"

Beware companies who substitute a product without your permission, and when you send it back, they won't pay return shipping.

Last edited:
Somewhere in the fine print that neither you nor anyone else reads, they probably reserved the right to make substitutions.
As far as the shipping goes, I would expect them to refund the $4.56 amount but not the rest. You chose that.
If you’d decided to send it overnight would you expect to be reimbursed for that?

I was surprised at how high their prices are compared with other Internet retailers. You may want to check other sites.

These are well known Muzzleloader sites with good prices.
BACO (Buffalo Arms Co.) has everything
Deer Creek has great prices on patches of all kinds & decent prices on all else they carry

https://www.buffaloarms.com/https://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/c1/Featured.html
You also have the well established sites like Midway USA & Mid-South Shooters

I search for good prices on the internet. That's how I got caught in the Bait & Switch.
October is the only place that sells my prelubed Bumblin' Bear Grease daisy patches. So I added a few more cheap items to the order, not worried about it costing me a few dollars more and getting better value from October's shipping costs.

I still have about 10 more weeks of cold weather here. I'll delay the order until April at-least, hoping the supplier makes amends with the OP thread-starter b/4 April.

If not, then I still have around 50 of October's pre-lubed bore-buttered pillow tickers to use-up.

Last edited:
October is the only place that sells my prelubed Bumblin' Bear Grease daisy patches. So I added a few more cheap items to the order, not worried about it costing me a few dollars more and getting better value from October's shipping costs.

I still have about 10 more weeks of cold weather here. I'll delay the order until April at-least, hoping the supplier makes amends with the OP thread-starter b/4 April.

If not, then I still have around 50 of October's pre-lubed bore-buttered pillow tickers to use-up.
I'm not telling people not to shop there. I'm warning them of the type of retailer they are.

If you’d decided to send it overnight would you expect to be reimbursed for that?
I was told I could send them back. I asked for an address and direction on how. I didn't get an answer. By then, I didn't trust them. I requested a signature to avoid them saying they never received it. Having the signature placed it on Priority Mail. It was not sent "Over Night". Just Priority mail with signature required. A copy of the mail receipt is attached to the beginning of this thread.
There was no indication of substituted allowed. In fact, that was never brought up by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back