BH 209 Available Direct from Hodgdon - 8 Ounces for $55.99?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad I have a fair amount of it. Just like years ago they kept the price the same on sugar, but made it a 4lb bag instead of 5lb. Shrinkflation sucks. I mean I'd rather buy a whole pound than a half pound, but they know if they list it at $112/lb sticker shock will prevail. As it is, most folks will pay the $55 (or whatever) and not realize its 8oz instead of 10oz.

Black powder is great, I use it in most of my traditional muzzleloaders. But for hunting, real black has a lot less energy per load than T7, so when using modern muzzleloaders, I use T7 or Pyrodex

I have roughly 4-5 lbs of Black Horn and four lbs of T7. When the Black Horn runs out I'm done with it. I can remember that with my cc points at Cabelas I bought four bottles for $25.00 each. It's all enough to make me barf. If this isn't out and out price gouging then I don't know what is.

I think Graf&sons house brand, made for them by Schuetzen, is about the cheapest priced black powder available today.
It runs about 20 bucks a pound. I don't know if they have in stock at the moment but they usually have it.
A minimum online order is 4 pounds.
Hazmat fee plus shipping is about 30 bucks per order, so it's more economical to order a good supply. I think 25 pounds is the maximum amount allowed.

I have 5 bottles but I’ve been stocking up on T7-3F because I’m not going to pay more….especially for 2oz less!. Hodgdon is gouging because they can. I guess in Michigan Zone 3 I’m fortunate now as I can use either my 350 or 450 during ML season

Greg

I am a big fan of Blackhorn but I cant justify that kind of price increase while decreasing the volume of the bottle. I will develop loads using T7 and real black. Sad to see what is happening in all areas of shooting sports these days.

I shoot mostly smokeless anymore. If I run out of Blackhorn I'm strongly considering switching to homemade black powder. Really doesn't look too hard. I have both willow and buckthorn growing here on the farm for charcoal. The equipment I don't have could all be purchased for about the price of a pound of BH209.

It hurts when the company that makes the products we want and need, knows they got you coming and going.

I have a good supply of black in 2 and 3f,Swiss, Goex, Old E, and about 5lbs of Kik. When the Blackhorn runs out Ill shoot something else. Why support price gougers? They(Hodgdon) should hear from us too!

Blame who or what you want for inflation, but what is going on in every boardroom of every company in the country is mostly to blame. It started with the free money, ( some needed it, some didn't) corporate America saw it as discretionary income and they wanted a piece of it. Add supply chain issues, (some real, some not) shortages ( again some real, most not) and companies that that could jack up prices BECAUSE THEY CAN (like Hodgdon)and then blame the above mentioned issues as an excuse.
Even the little guys are getting in on the rip off. The party store by my marina is taking a 7lb bag of ice. Splitting into to two bags, calling them 4lb bags, and charging a buck more (2.69) that last year. He had the balls to tell me when I bitched that there was an " ice shortage". Needless to say I go up the street and get a 20lb bag for 3.99.

Blame who or what you want for inflation, but what is going on in every boardroom of every company in the country is mostly to blame. It started with the free money, ( some needed it, some didn't) corporate America saw it as discretionary income and they wanted a piece of it. Add supply chain issues, (some real, some not) shortages ( again some real, most not) and companies that that could jack up prices BECAUSE THEY CAN (like Hodgdon)and then blame the above mentioned issues as an excuse.
Even the little guys are getting in on the rip off. The party store by my marina is taking a 7lb bag of ice. Splitting into to two bags, calling them 4lb bags, and charging a buck more (2.69) that last year. He had the balls to tell me when I bitched that there was an " ice shortage". Needless to say I go up the street and get a 20lb bag for 3.99.

I think this statement is a pretty good description of what is happening right now.

I was at the Chevy dealership the other day, on the window sticker written with a sharpie on a new 1500 was 5,000 dollar market adjustment.unreal

Latest posts

Back