BH 209 in a CVA Apollo

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyWV

Reaction score
Newbie to this site from WV. Apologize if this has already been discussed.
I have CVA Apollo that was not part of the recall. I have already changed the gun over to shoot the 209 primer. I’m wanting to try the BH powder but hearing that there may be some issues and a newer breech plug needs to be installed. I have not contacted CVA but I’m assuming there is no newer breech plug for this gun. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bh209 is not recomended for use in plunger style guns wich is what the Apollo is. The ignition isn’t sealed wich doesn’t create enough heat and pressure to ignite the bh209 safely and efficiently..some have had success with it in the plunger guns but like I said it’s not recommended

If its a plunger gun I think the 209 develops too much pressure and can blow the hammer back open along with blowing the primer out....in pieces even. I'm not positive but I think even the T7 products might create too much pressure on heavier loads.

You can buy a brand new Wolf for about $200 and under $30 for a BH209 plug. After the season you can pick them up even cheaper when Wally World closes them out. You will be far happier with the end result than an old Apollo.

You can buy a brand new Wolf for about $200 and under $30 for a BH209 plug. After the season you can pick them up even cheaper when Wally World closes them out. You will be far happier with the end result than an old Apollo.
Great advice!..thx!..:)

If its a plunger gun I think the 209 develops too much pressure and can blow the hammer back open along with blowing the primer out....in pieces even. I'm not positive but I think even the T7 products might create too much pressure on heavier loads.
Thx!..:)

Back