BH 209 in a T/C Triumph?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusticbob

Reaction score
Just had a friend supply me with one can of bh209. I have never used it but he swears by it. I have used T7 in the Triumph with good luck, but I do swab between shots to get rid of crud ring. Has anyone used bh209 in T/C Triumph ? Any issues before I give it a try?

Yep the only issue your going to have is that your going to love it 😍.
Do not use triple seven primers.
No swabbing between shot and you clean it with petroleum cleaner no more water.
I have found that 90 grain by volume work well in my T/C in lines.
Have fun and be safe.

Last edited:
You'll need regular shotgun primers not muzzleloader specific primers.
Winchester, CCI 209M, or Federal 209A are the most dependable.

I use BH209 in a Triumph with no issues. I use CC1209M’s but it’s the only primer I’ve tried. I use 80 grains by volume with a 250 gr sabot/bullet and have no trouble killing deer out to 100 yards, I’ve never shot further than that.

I did not realize BH209 was so primer sensitive. I have Winchester 209 Triple7 primers, Federal 209 muzzleloader primers, and one tray of older W209 Winchester primers for shot shells. Sounds like my best bet would be with the shots shell primers? Is BH that much harder to ignite?

209 powder can be sensitive to shooting in cold weather. I don't see where you are from, but I'm in Minnesota and I use the W209 Winchester shot shell primers for reliable ignition in our November hunting season. We can have very mild weather in November but we can also have bitter cold. The coldest I have shot the 209 powder is -12 and with the mentioned primer it went boom perfectly. In summer shooting you may get away with using the "muzzleloader" primers but do not rely on them in the cold.

Thanks for the advise. We have an early doe only muzzleloader season here in Vermont in October, usually fairly mild weather. But our regular muzzleloader season is in early December, and yes it can get pretty cold. I will heed you advise and save the shot shell primers for December weather.
On question though, after shooting BH209 should I use hot water cleanup like with T7? Sorry to sound like a beginner, but I have not used this powder before.

Thanks for the advise. We have an early doe only muzzleloader season here in Vermont in October, usually fairly mild weather. But our regular muzzleloader season is in early December, and yes it can get pretty cold. I will heed you advise and save the shot shell primers for December weather.
On question though, after shooting BH209 should I use hot water cleanup like with T7? Sorry to sound like a beginner, but I have not used this powder before.
I use powder solvent to clean mine, Hoppes #9 to be exact. What part of VT are you in?

No. Use a gun solvent like Hoppes #9 for cleaning and mopping the bore. With the BH209 powder cleaning is quick and easy. Pull the plug and soak it in a small bowl of solvent while you mess with the bore and the plug will clean in seconds. Be sure to run a small drill bit the size of the flash channel thru the channel before soaking to remove any carbon deposits from shooting

I did not realize BH209 was so primer sensitive. I have Winchester 209 Triple7 primers, Federal 209 muzzleloader primers, and one tray of older W209 Winchester primers for shot shells. Sounds like my best bet would be with the shots shell primers? Is BH that much harder to ignite?

In a Triumph breech plug it is probably more dependable shooting Mag primers. Because of its length and the small diameter of the flash channel in the plug. The down side is the flash channel can/will plug up more quickly and you will need to hand drill it out.

I modified my plug to be more compatible with BH and the use of regular W209 primers.

Speed-Br-Debris.jpg

Cleaning the flash channel

bp-diagram.jpg

Thanks all, I will give it a try this weekend. I just picked up a chrony and I’m interested in the velocity. I live in Poultney

Back