BH 209 - No need to clean? Explanation?

Discussion in 'New to Muzzleloading' started by RoJo, Aug 11, 2019.

Modern Muzzleloader

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

1. Aug 13, 2019 #21

GM54-120

GM54-120

GM54-120

Administrator Staff Member ADMIN Global Moderator

Anyone of those shots in your pic would have resulted in a dead deer.....Shoot more and over think less....Just go out and enjoy some range time.

RoJo likes this.
  2. Aug 13, 2019 #22

BuckDoeHunter

BuckDoeHunter

BuckDoeHunter

110 grains BH209 + 250 grain TEZ + Harvester smooth black sabot + Winchester 209 primer = full freezer :D

RoJo likes this.
  3. Aug 13, 2019 #23

RoJo

RoJo

RoJo

Supporter Supporter

4. Aug 13, 2019 #24

RoJo

RoJo

RoJo

Supporter Supporter

I shot most of what you posted here last Friday except 100 gr. (by volume) and had CCI 209M primers. My tubes are loaded to try 110 gr. this week with another box of TEZ 250's and the smooth Harvester. I kept track of the good advice you gave me before. Grateful for your help.

5. Aug 13, 2019 #25

RoJo

RoJo

RoJo

Supporter Supporter

I have the utmost respect for the wisdom of you guys that posted here. The likes of you is the reason that things kinda worked out better and quicker than I expected. I am grateful. I got sucked into the posts of the new guys frustrated because they couldn't get a good group on a pie plate and had all kind of problems with everything. I can honestly say that I've avoided a lot of that because of the time I've spent on MM. I'm not a perfectionist, not OCD, nor am I ADHD. If you didn't catch the message early on, I'm not a young new guy. All the kids call me "Grandpa." On my bucket list is a pledge not to do my last Whitetail hunt until I am at least 85. I'm a stubborn and persistent old hunter and I've been trying not to waste time on the merry-go-round of ML. I have read, watched, written, and asked, so much in two months that I sometimes felt like a run-away locomotive. Ya'll hit the nail on the head - slow down and smell the roses. Your advice is well taken and appreciated. My range bag is packed with the same components that I used last week on that target, including the Hornady SST''s because they did just a tad better than the TEZ. Everything else is on the back burner.

Despite saturating my brain with everything under the sun to do with ML, I have no desire to be a ballistics calculator or tester of products. I hunt to get in the woods to sit under oak trees and enjoy the fresh air. If I harvest a deer it goes in my son's freezer for him and his three young daughters. I will never be as ML smart as you guys here on MM, but thanks to ya'll I'm way smarter than I was two months ago. I'm ok, settled down and relaxed. Going to the range tomorrow and have fun - one load at a time.

ShawnT and ENCORE50A like this.
  6. Aug 14, 2019 #26

sdporter

sdporter

sdporter

My thoughts exactly! Looks like you're done. Are you throwing your powder or weighing it? If you're shooting volume only, with grouping like that, you may try weighing three or four loads, taking the average, and weighing that amount to see if that's tightens you up more. I usually shoot my first shot at a rock to just get out any first shot flinch that sometimes rears its ugly head. That's a great group, even with the fliers, and you should be only 3-4" at 300 yards. Easily minute of deer vitals. Nice shooting.

RoJo likes this.
  7. Aug 14, 2019 #27

RoJo

RoJo

RoJo

Supporter Supporter

I spent some time measuring by both methods before I filled my range tubes. I wasn’t very tidy when doing by volume- mostly because I was pouring too fast. I practiced the technique BuckDoeHunter showed me, but instead of mounding or leveling with the brass tip I leveled with a single edge blade. Tedious, but when I weighed those volume measures I was usually within .1 - .2 of each other. The charges I used at the range were precisely 70 gr. by weight. When I sight a scope in I guess I get a bit unorthodox and anal. I just try to squeeze out every possible hiccup so I know exactly what the gun, scope, and ammo can do. I’m not sure which method I’ll eventually stick with. As for measuring by volume, I did notice that accuracy was more consistent when I avoided tapping, flicking, or any unnecessary agitation while I was measuring. Twenty-six years in the military gave me the mindset that “close” wasn’t good enough when I had the means to be precise. That’s just me.

Anyway, like the guys already urged me, I need to go into a fine tuning mode and have some fun shooting.

8. Aug 14, 2019 #28

MSalyards

MSalyards

MSalyards

The smooth sabots are very tight in my barrel, too tight. It takes too much force to seat the bullet. I'm thinking the tightness of the bullet and the heat created coming out the barrel caused it to stick until it hit the target. Like they say, every gun is different and once you find a load that works for you stick with it.

9. Aug 14, 2019 #29

RoJo

RoJo

RoJo

Supporter Supporter

That's hard to figure how that happens. I was on a mission recently to determine the exact diameter of my Accura's bore. I've since decided to follow the expertise of others and conclude it's not that important. I guess I drew a lucky card when I duplicated the combo of some successful Accura shooters. I've seen the accuracy with my own rifle and have seen enough evidence of terminal performance that there's no reason right now for me to stray any farther.

10. Aug 14, 2019 #30

GM54-120

GM54-120

GM54-120

Administrator Staff Member ADMIN Global Moderator

Any machine shop should have a set of very good pin gauges if you want a good measurement of the lands. You can probably buy a few if you really wanted instead of a whole set.

RoJo likes this.
  11. Aug 14, 2019 #31

RoJo

RoJo

RoJo

Supporter Supporter

The muzzle of my Accura has the bullet-guiding feature. I don’t know if that would prevent a measure or not. With the Barnes & Hornady sabots doing well so far I’m not sure it matters if I know or not. I’ll check with the machine shop downtown and call the guru of muzzleloaders in the nearby town. Thanks.