BH 209 showed up at local store

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With Mr. Tom's load of 63 weighed grains of BH209 for the Optima V2 pistol. One of which I own......

1. 7000 grains/pound
2. 7000 ÷16 = 437.5 grains
3. 437.5 grains × 10 ounces = 4735 grains
4. 4735 grains ÷ 63 grains = 69.444 shots/pound
5. $56.99 + 7% sales tax (avg for U.S.) = $60.98
6. $60.98 ÷ 69.44 = 87.82¢ per shot

Black powder here I come!!

I will shoot my SMLs before i pay that price. I can use 40 grains and get more speed than 84 grains of BH209. Plus a full pound is/was $40 for that powder. 175 shots for less than $44 total. :)

You can get Graf&sons brand black powder made by Goex for about $ 19.00 a pound. Add hazmat and shipping, it comes out to about $ 24.00 a pound. It's still a bargain if you have to order online.

I call the day after their weekly delivery comes in at Sportsmen's Warehouse. Websites on each store say no 209 and no backorder but sometimes it's just sitting on the shelf. Go figure. My son-in-law asked today where he could get 5.56 ammo and I was just driving by a medium size LGS. I walked in and the 5.56 was $1.40/round. Shelves were Full but GEESH!

Prices everywhere going up... Including raw materials... Sounds a lot like inflation. Perhaps the Fed's chickens are coming home to roost.

wish I could use smokeless
I was just a click away on phone ordering a smokeless encore barrel and from what data I could find have only one pound of powder that would work and decided I'm not spending 8-9+ hundred dollars for a steel stick I'll use the BH209 I have 2&1/2 containers and go back to 777 pellets and loose should have enough to last me as long as I know what a Muzzleloader is I'm 76 and don't target or competition shoot just check before season hunt two weeks in Tennessee and clean and put up until next year

There's a few muzzleloaders I want. Every time I start talking myself into one, I look at the powder and primers I have and don't have and realize that the smokeless Encore I have is a real good gun and I can do a lot of shooting as I'm set up. No sense in jumping into something only to fight to not be able to find the stuff to shoot it.

There's a few muzzleloaders I want. Every time I start talking myself into one, I look at the powder and primers I have and don't have and realize that the smokeless Encore I have is a real good gun and I can do a lot of shooting as I'm set up. No sense in jumping into something only to fight to not be able to find the stuff to shoot it.
they say you can’t have enough guns,but I find myself grabbing one gun and leaving a bunch in the safe.I have a Remington ultimate for 3 years now and have not even shot it, oh well it’s not like I have to feed it

they say you can’t have enough guns,but I find myself grabbing one gun and leaving a bunch in the safe.I have a Remington ultimate for 3 years now and have not even shot it, oh well it’s not like I have to feed it

That's kind of where I'm at. I like the idea of having a lot of guns, and I have a few, but the further I get into it the Encore is the only gun I ever shoot anymore. Incidentally the Remington ultimate is about the only gun I really want at this time. Sounds Remington closed up I haven't found one or anything I've found they're trying to get a ridiculous price for. Maybe someday, but if not the Encore is a pretty stellar gun.

Today I decided to check my local sports supply place for some BH209 powder. A couple months they didn't have but today there was about ten 10 oz canisters of it. It was about 4 bucks higher than last years supply at 43.99 so I took one for the long haul even though I had almost two.

When it comes to BH 209, I feel like I need to join a 12 step program to try to quit looking for and calling almost daily every store that may have some. I've got 2 1/2 10 ouncers which will get me through this years deer and elk season with ease but still Jonesen for more

Back