BH209 hunting loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy706

Reaction score
I imagine this topic has been discussed and cussed more than any, however....

What are you running for loads in your .50 muzzle loader with conicals?

I’m having neck surgery soon and am looking for low(er) loads that will be adequate for whitetail and hogs. I use 460gr No Excuses normally with 90grV of BH209. I’m thinking 65grV possibly?

Thanks, Tom

Just look at 50-90 load data using BH209.....71gr by weight is the max load with a 475gr@1700+ fps. 50-70 only uses 37gr by weight and gets more than 1200fps. Thats around 50gr by volume.

I'm shooting 80grn by volume of Blackhorn with a Hornady xtp 240 out of my Accura V2 Lr and it's a tack driver at 100yds!
Huge difference using a 460gr soft lead conical vs your 240gr in terms of BH209 needed. They are not even in the same ballpark on any level.

Just look at 50-90 load data using BH209.....71gr by weight is the max load with a 475gr@1700+ fps. 50-70 only uses 37gr by weight and gets more than 1200fps. Thats around 50gr by volume.

Huge difference using a 460gr soft lead conical vs your 240gr in terms of BH209 needed. They are not even in the same ballpark on any level.
Never thought to extrapolate from 50-90Sharps data! Slick! 👍

Surprised at that actually. I thought most people shot 100grV or there about. Huh...

I guess I didn’t realize it was considered that hot.
Most people do.... but also most people are using 250-300gr bullets.

100grV with a 460, that one punishes on both ends!

You can definitely use much less with big lead, and still be very effective. That should help your neck 😁

Not sure what kind of surgery, but I had discectomy and fusion back in April. My surgeon said no heavy recoiling stuff for four months, 243 level after three months.

Not sure what kind of surgery, but I had discectomy and fusion back in April. My surgeon said no heavy recoiling stuff for four months, 243 level after three months.
That’s exactly what I’m going for...C5 to C6. Thanks for the heads up👍

I read somewhere recently that reducing bullet weight lowers recoil more than reducing the powder charge. Seems to me that you will need to SIGNIFICANTLY lower BOTH to ever approach the mild recoil of a .243.
FWIW Bestill (a highly regarded gun builder) told me that a load of 80 grains of BH209 with my homecast 450 grain 35:1 lead conical is pretty close to a max load in my stock Omega rifle. That's the load I was going to use for elk this fall, but didn't draw a tag.

He asked for a load that was adequate for whitetail and hogs. I just stated what works for me for whitetails.

80 grains of BH209 with my homecast 450 grain 35:1 lead conical is pretty close to a max load in my stock Omega rifle.
80grV is the max ive tried in 45cal with a Bullshop 488gr. That is around a 45-100 type load and starting to make some pressure too. Tested it in my MLII Pacnor 45 and it even thumped hard in that heavy beast.

Its harder to get away from that shove from heavy lead. I Think Bullshop sells a couple 50cal ML bullet that are quite a bit lighter. Something like a 400gr or less. Lyman Great Plains is around 395gr i think?

Try 70-80 grV with a 300 gr conical. Should be significantly less recoil.

Might even try the Powerbelt ELR 270 gr bullets. They are the only powerbelts I would trust

Remember that BH is about 15% more powerful than black powder in a V/V comparison

Last edited:
To really cut back on conical bullet weight, and therefore felt recoil, consider one cast from the Lee 50 cal REAL mold 250 grain; or they also make a 320 grain of the same design. I have never gotten decent accuracy with either, but I recall others reporting good groups and effective results on deer. If you're not into bullet casting, maybe you can find someone who will make them for you.
Pictured left to right, homecast bullets from the following molds:
250 grain Lee REAL
400 grain Lyman Plains
450 grain homemade mold.
It's easy how a lighter bullet could greatly affect felt recoil. 20221202_141840.jpg

Back