BH209 Issue?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
SETUP: BH209 lot 37, 90 grains by volume, win primer blue box, .458 cal (45/70) 250grain TSX FN FB all copper bullet in an orange sabot.
Gun is a Traditions Ultralight nitride barrel with a 1:28 twist. I did the ventliner mod to breech plug and it fired fine. Scope is a new 3-9×40 Vortex Diamondback 1/4 in per click at 100yds. Range to target was 51 yards per my rangefinder. This was initial sight in for gun and scope. Gun was cleaned and bore fouled prior to shooting.

First two shots were 1in high and left about 3 inches from the bull. Adjusted scope 24 clicks to the right and shots hit 3 in to the right of the bull. Height the same. Readjusted back 24 clicks and bullet hit about 3 in high and no change in windage. Scope is mounted in a DNZ mount and everything was tight. Played around for a while and couldn't get anything consistent. Moved on to another rifle using 777 and no issues. Before quitting for the day, I re-shot the Traditions using 100gr 777and a 240gr 44 cal Nosler JHP using a green CR Sabot. First shot dead in the bull, adjusted scope up 1.5 in and shot 4 more times, nice tight group.

At first I thought i had a bad scope. Now I am thinking bad powder or bullet choice. Thoughts?

Thanks
John

Last edited:
Most rifles, blackpowder or centerfire, will all have a particular powder/bullet combo they like. You should be able to find a combo that works with Blackhorn as well, but if your others like t7 then shoot the t7 combo that worked.

Try a different charge of black horn, up or down, sounds like you now know the sweet spot with 777,just got to find it with black horn, good luck we all go through this, its what makes it fun

Thanks, don't know why I didn't think of using T7 with the TSX, guess I was stuck on the plan for that rifle. I may end up keeping the combo that worked but will try a couple of others with the BH209. Just never had a powder and bullet combo act that bad!

Thanks DWM, I've just never seen such erratic behavior and it not be something wrong with the scope or loose mounts. I would have expected a bad/large group but not a shot gun pattern!
John

Thanks DWM, I've just never seen such erratic behavior and it not be something wrong with the scope or loose mounts. I would have expected a bad/large group but not a shot gun pattern!
John
my last new gun , I started at 110 , gun was like yours, when i hit 90 it was game on, it will work out for you.I know that feeling of thinking something is wrong, we always seem to assume the worst first

I recently fought the same battle (smokeless) with a brand new Nightforce scope, not mine but a loaner, It was not repeatable even to point of aim/impact from shot to shot. After shooting about well too much $$ worth of premium bullets I put my scope back on and it shot as it always has a little under an inch @100yds. I would look at the scope if it were me.

I recently fought the same battle (smokeless) with a brand new Nightforce scope, not mine but a loaner, It was not repeatable even to point of aim/impact from shot to shot. After shooting about well too much $$ worth of premium bullets I put my scope back on and it shot as it always has a little under an inch @100yds. I would look at the scope if it were me.
He shot the gun later with a different charge,and was good, i say play around with the load

Glad you got it figured out. My thought on the scope was from (my) bad experiences even with top end scopes. I have fought copper solid bullet loads also but they are great when you get the load right.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. Knowing me, I will be leary of that scope for at least a few range sessions with the 777/Nosler combo. Hopefully it will stay sighted in. I do plan on shooting it with 209 and the TSX again but will start at 100grsV and just shoot without adjusting the scope to see what it does.

Back