BIG Gobbler with an UnderHammer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job Lewis. Nice looking bird. Glad to hear you filled your tags. I really like that weapon of choice you used .
Hope I can get a chance to spend some time in the woods this spring before the season ends. Work has been crazy bizzy for me.
It is killing me not being able to spring gobbler hunt.

Nice ,underhammer and the wood is very nice. Beautiful bird, what type of calls did you use? Reason I ask Lewis is I have been doing these gobblers here since they opened the season in 69 here in Pa. Been making my own box ,pot,and scratch box calls for over 30 years. Would love to send you one when we solve my lube problem. Our season as been in for two weeks put have not been out ,waiting for the mob to thin down. Whant to get one with my English style interchangeable build I did, my load is 2oz ,nickel plated 7 ,out of a Colerain turkey barrel full 1 inch octagon. Bad a###ss.

Nice ,underhammer and the wood is very nice. Beautiful bird, what type of calls did you use? Reason I ask Lewis is I have been doing these gobblers here since they opened the season in 69 here in Pa. Been making my own box ,pot,and scratch box calls for over 30 years. Would love to send you one when we solve my lube problem. Our season as been in for two weeks put have not been out ,waiting for the mob to thin down. Whant to get one with my English style interchangeable build I did, my load is 2oz ,nickel plated 7 ,out of a Colerain turkey barrel full 1 inch octagon. Bad a###ss.

I was using a MAD® “Boom Box” Box Call by Flambeau Outdoors, Box Calls are my Favorite, They are where i started in Turkey Hunting, I have had Great success with them. I have used a few mouth Calls with good success as well, I haven’t worked with the others to learn them. This Turkey Hunting is a LOT of Fun, The calling them, ALL of it :lewis:

I sent Bullshop an Email ([email protected]) this evening asking about his NASA Lube, They responded right back, Within a Couple hours anyway. This is the Response:

“We are still pretty well set on supplies to keep making our NASA lube so it is still available. It is $25.00 per pound plus shipping. We can get Two pounds in a small FRB at $9.00 shipping. If you need more than Two pounds we can get a bunch in the medium box at $18.00 shipping.

I just emailed them ,let you know if I get a response. Sounds like a you need a pot call ,in your arsenal, they are my favorite on these eastern Toms , I make a nice two sided one , with any combo one desires. Thanks lewis.

Glad to see Lewis came around to my way'a thinkin'. 'Bout underhammers anyway LOL Mossie

Now that is AWESOME Mossie!! :lewis: Tell me about your UH Rifle, Who made it? Caliber? Etc.

These things are COOL! I would like to own a Rifle one day

Nice work! What sort of load did you use?

Sorry for the late reply here, i missed this

My load was 80 Grains of Swiss 2F, Pushing 1-1/8 Oz of No. 5s

I use overshot Cards ONLY on the Powder (3-4 of them) and 2 of them for the Shot. This is Something i learned from Caywood several years back, it DEFINITELY works, I don’t get the “Dreaded” Doughnut hole Groups this way.

This is how i load (MINUS the Cornmeal Muffin Mix, I feel it is more trouble than it’s worth, in my opinion anyway)
http://www.caywoodguns.com/working-up-turkey-loads.html

Lewis I got a reply from bullshop, how far does a pound go with your recipe?

Lewis I got a reply from bullshop, how far does a pound go with your recipe?

1 pound goes a LONG LONG way, I have never tried to keep track, So I have no idea how many Bullets i can Lube with a Pound? Obviously the amount of Grooves, and Depth would be a Factor. All i can say is it goes a VERY VERY Long way, Bullets from my BACO Molds (This is a guess) I bet I could Lube well over a Thousand, and i am somewhat wasteful with it

Now that is AWESOME Mossie!! :lewis: Tell me about your UH Rifle, Who made it? Caliber? Etc.

These things are COOL! I would like to own a Rifle one day
Thanx Lewis. The one I killed the Prongbuck with is an orig Numrich Arms 45 cal with a custom made peep sight. The next 2 were killed with same. This past season all I drew was a doe antelope tag and used the 2nd picture 50/54 Colrain switch barrel 1-56 twist 50 cal. Barrel and action work were done by Doug and crew at Longrifle supply Co ( Pecatonica River) Stock work and browning was mine using Russian Olive wood. Mtn Lion is on my bucket list hence the scrimshaw. At 75 plus I'd better pick up the pace! Doug is working on a 50 cal 1 1/8 Bauska bbl false muzzle for me presently for bench. I'll be adding a Maple stock somewhat like yours with a higher comb for bench..Can't wait!.It'll make 4 UH's for me and I want to add a smoothbore bbl soon....Mossie

Lewis why don't you just send your underhammer to Pecatonica and have Doug convert it to a switch barrel and fit a rifled barrel so you have the best of both ?..He can cut the dovetails for front and rear sights plus install a forestock hanger to match the one you have...Mossie

You would get a kick out of Hunting these Turkey’s!

Some call them the “Poor Mans Elk” :) I would fully agree with that. Some days they are VERY Vocal, and some days they are NOT. Their nature, when the Old Gobbler Gobbles he is letting the hens know where he is at, and they are suppose to come to him. 99.9% of the Time the Old Gobbler with Hens will NOT leave his hens to come to your Hen Call, the hen is supposed to come to him, and since he already has Hens he is NOT Leaving them (Just like a Herd Bull Elk) Your best chance to Kill the OLD Mature Gobbler is to TRY and Get where his Hens are going, and let them bring him right by ya (Just like the Herd Bull Elk) The problem here is you have LOTS of Eyeballs to Dodge ANY form of Movement (Just like the Cow Elk of the Herd) Wild, UNFED Turkey’s are INCREDIBLY intelligent Birds, You move your Finger and it’s OVER!

The long beard Gobblers that most of us are Killing are the 2 Year Olds, They are Mature Birds, Nice long beards, Decent spurs, Full Tail Fan, and good Body Weight. They are on the Outskirts of the Old Mature Gobbler with Hens, Hoping for a Chance to Breed a Hen, The Old Mature Gobbler has kicked their @ss :) (Just like the Satellite Bull Elk) When you Strike a “Lonely Hen“ Call, It is these 2 Year Olds that come RUNNING, This is their Chance for LOVE 😍😘🥰

The exception to Successfully Calling in an OLD Mature Gobbler is When all of his Hens have gone to Sit (Sitting on their Eggs to Hatch them, this is a 28 Day process) Leaving the Ole Gobbler Lonely 😁 TRUE! This is PRECISELY how i Killed mine Yesterday :lewis: This is a PERFECT time to Call these OLD Mature Birds in, Since they no longer have Hens with them, they are more Willing to Come to your Call :lewis:

You've convinced me to add turkey to my "someday" list. The hunting actually sounds really interesting!

Great bird my Idaho brother! That one there is a real good sized one. I'm envious, I've been really having the urge to hunt them with BP...hard to do when you haven't bought a smooth bore yet ha ha.

I agree that those old Tom's are tough to call in. Your two methods are the only way I've ever gotten one older than two or three years old. I have had a couple times where I was able to get a hen or two wound up so they were cranky with me and came in and dragged an old Tom with them, but it is usually after the hens are nesting that I will sometimes get an older bird to come in. They seem to really like a very raspy old hen sounding call once it's up into the breeding season. My best bird was a late season Tom that was all by his self. Took 45 minutes of coaxing to get him to wander over to me.
Poor man's elk...I like that. For game that can be called in they definitely only take a back seat to elk. Just plain fun to hunt them when they are being really vocal.

Latest posts

Back