BIG Minie’s, BIG Powder Charges

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Here we go, I’m about to get ROCKED :D

I’ve been wanting to do this for Awhile, My Navy Arms Hawken “Hunter” .58 Cal was a Pet Project of Navy Arms Owner Val Forgett, The Rifle was Proofed with 200 Grains of 3F Pistol Powder and a 610 Grain Minie :)

It’s time i pull my boot laces up and give it a Try :D i shall Get Some Chronograph Data of this ordeal :lewis:

The Gun, Navy Arms Hawken “Hunter” .58 Cal, 1:60, or 66 Twist?
KIufXOAl.jpg

The Minie Mold
JZXBSsNl.jpg

The Bullets it Throws
MHvJnagm.jpg

The Weight, ALL weigh IDENTICAL, This Mold Runs NICE!! Took me some Practice though ;) Minies are a PITA to Cast, especially Pure lead
Df1AMnfm.jpg

My Chosen Powder, and Charge, 180 Grains of Swiss 3F :D Now that’s a HEAP of Powder :eek:
8S4cFsWl.jpg

The Charges are easy tell whats what? They Fill my Big Vials to the Cap :D
fqxEWfcl.jpg

This Minie is the Lyman 575213PH, Shallow/Thick Skirt Designed for this Sorta thing :lewis:
2CjfqA9m.jpg

Any Predictions on Velocity? I have NO DOUBT it will Burn the Whole Charge Clean, This Swiss is HOT Stuff :lewis:

If Buddy Edmehlig was here, i would Video Him Torching these off :p

That's probably going to hurt. Be sure and shout "Ya'll watch this!" before you enter the twilight zone...

Velocity?
Well,1-60” twist, 180 gr Swiss 2f and 540gr conical in the big .58....
I’m now guessing at 32”bbl so I will say 1730fps
Walk

Velocity?
Well,1-60” twist, 180 gr Swiss 2f and 540gr conical in the big .58....
I’m now guessing at 32”bbl so I will say 1730fps
Walk

The Barrel is Shorter, 25 or 26” this being 3F Pistol Powder, and Swiss to boot, it’s on the Warm Side :)

Well, I missed that for sure, lol.
26” barrel with 180gr Swiss 3f, hmmm.... 1915fps

All I can say is that's gonna hurt unless you use some kind of pad, those hard butt plates dont feel very good with just 80 gr of Goex 2f.

Well, you already know the recoil is going to be fierce. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but there is some historical evidence of such recoil causing eye problems. If you haven't been to an ophthalmologists lately (not an optometrists) you might consider getting your eyes checked before shooting those loads.

Two months ago my ophthalmologist spotted three very small tears in my cornea. She sent me immediately to a surgeon for further assessment. Three days later I had laser treatment to "weld" the tears so as to prevent cornea separation (which the surgeon said would have been a strong possibility without treatment).

Last edited:
I hope he videos the very first round fired. Not of the target, but of him shooting the rifle ;)

That be the Plan :lewis:

I might be underestimating it? But I really don’t think so, I have Shot True Elephant Rifles Before. The Hardest Kicking Rifle i have EVER shot was my Old .375 Remington Ultra Magnum, about a 6-1/2 pound Rifle pushing a 260 Grain Bullet at 3,000 Fps, That thing was BRUTAL!! It Tattooed a Few fellas Eyebrows :D And they were FOREWARNED Well before they Pulled the Trigger!! I HIGHLY doubt this Rifle/Load will Generate that kind of Recoil? Maybe similar? I will know SOON, Probably Day after a Tomorrow, it’s raining, and Suppose to Tomorrow as well. I want it Decent so i can Get Chrono Data, And Video me Getting Hit with it :D

First off, I’m NOT gonna snuggle up to my Bench and Squeeze these off! I’m gonna put a Foot forward and lean in to it, Just like a BIG Elephant Rifle. I want to Collect Chrono Data and See what these BIG bullets will actually do? This Rifle is BUILT like a RUSSIAN TANK, It was Designed by Val Forgett for this Sort of thing. You can read about him doing this in the 1975 Copy of the Lyman Blackpowder Manual, He takes this Rifle to Africa and Kills about everything BIG that Walks the Dark Continent, His Chosen Load was 180 Grains of 3F behind a 610 Grain Minie Bullet, Called a Shiloh Stake Buster :) A modified Mold

This is actually a TWIN to the Bullet he used, This Belongs to Ron ? He is a Forum member here, and the Sister Forum, has the Same rifle as mine.
2v1JxUr.jpg

Before you go forward with this....could you make sure that you have me listed as the beneficiary to your gun collection :thumb:
Too bad im not there Lewis we'd tag team that bad dude !!!
Youre right , no bench !!!
Biggest thing is to roll with em and enjoy the ride . If you fight it , it will tag you good . Just like boxing only different . Baddest one i ever rode out was a 460 weatherby . Them mean bussiness kinda like life . 1 step forward 2 back . A rockin chair ..Dont let flounder fool you he SECRETLY likes shootin these big bores !!! Scrambled eggs too !!! Just like me !!! Well enjoy the ride , All Aboard !!!!! :D

Last edited:
Here we go, I’m about to get ROCKED :D

I’ve been wanting to do this for Awhile, My Navy Arms Hawken “Hunter” .58 Cal was a Pet Project of Navy Arms Owner Val Forgett, The Rifle was Proofed with 200 Grains of 3F Pistol Powder and a 610 Grain Minie :)

It’s time i pull my boot laces up and give it a Try :D i shall Get Some Chronograph Data of this ordeal :lewis:

The Gun, Navy Arms Hawken “Hunter” .58 Cal, 1:60, or 66 Twist?
KIufXOAl.jpg

The Minie Mold
JZXBSsNl.jpg

The Bullets it Throws
MHvJnagm.jpg

The Weight, ALL weigh IDENTICAL, This Mold Runs NICE!! Took me some Practice though ;) Minies are a PITA to Cast, especially Pure lead
Df1AMnfm.jpg

My Chosen Powder, and Charge, 180 Grains of Swiss 3F :D Now that’s a HEAP of Powder :eek:
8S4cFsWl.jpg

The Charges are easy tell whats what? They Fill my Big Vials to the Cap :D
fqxEWfcl.jpg

This Minie is the Lyman 575213PH, Shallow/Thick Skirt Designed for this Sorta thing :lewis:
2CjfqA9m.jpg
"Not all who wander are lost" :lewis:

Let’s remember this, This is FAR FAR Beyond what i am Talking about Above. My Navy Arms .58 Cal Above is NOT your average .58 Cal Sidelock, this thing was Proofed for 200 Grains of 3F Powder, and has Taken ALL African Big Game By it’s inventor. I bet my .58 Cal Above weighs 10 Pounds? This Rifle is a BLOCK of Steel! The Barrel is 1-1/8” Across the Flats, EVERYTHING about this thing is EXTREMELY Heavy Duty, look at the Solid Stainless Ram Rod, and Note the Under Rib, That is SOLID Brass.

This is a 2 Bore Loaded with 500 Grains of Pyrodex, and firing a 3,500 Grain Projectile.

Last edited:
Let’s remember this, This is FAR FAR Beyond what i am Talking about Above. My Navy Arms .58 Cal Above is NOT your average .58 Cal Sidelock, this thing was Proofed for 200 Grains of 3F Powder, and has Taken ALL African Big Game By it’s inventor

This is a 2 Bore Loaded with 500 Grains of Pyrodex, and firing a 3,500 Grain Projectile.

I give him credit but seems he fought it a little too hard and too long . Got out of balance by planting then had to dance off balance . Not being critical , just observing . No doubt , a tough ride !!!

I give him credit but seems he fought it a little too hard and too long . Got out of balance by planting then had to dance off balance . Not being critical , just observing . No doubt , a tough ride !!!

That Kid DEFINITELY didn’t know what he was doing?!! The Guy that Built that 2 Bore Rifle is a Member here :lewis:

Latest posts

Back