Biltong

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10gaugemag

Reaction score
Anybody make their own biltong?

Factory built box or homemade?

Pics of box?

Had to Google that! Basically jerky but not cooked, air dried, vinegar base. Originally from Europe but known as South African food. Illegal to import into the US because its not cooked. Is there a special box to put/cure it in? Or is it something other than food!

It's a thicker, salt cured jerky. Not really any other seasoning on most.

The boxes seem to be of wood or plastic. What I am finding they can use 2 different temperatures. Lower temps for three first 24 hours then increase in last 24-36 hours.

Of course different ideas on the whole thing.

I've played around with it, still trying to perfect it.

The traditional way of doing it was 1 part each of salt, pepper and coriander seed.

I made my own out of a plastic tub, stuck some dowels through it and a computer fan on one end. Next time I shoot a deer I'll try again, first couple of batches weren't as good as my jerky so I put it in the "I'll get back to it" pile.

I'm going to try soaking in brown vinegar longer. Mine has ended up just tasting of dried meat with no zing. There's a butcher who makes it in the next state over, when I pass through on a hunting trip and he's open I always grab some. That's my bench mark

I've played around with it, still trying to perfect it.

The traditional way of doing it was 1 part each of salt, pepper and coriander seed.

I made my own out of a plastic tub, stuck some dowels through it and a computer fan on one end. Next time I shoot a deer I'll try again, first couple of batches weren't as good as my jerky so I put it in the "I'll get back to it" pile.

I'm going to try soaking in brown vinegar longer. Mine has ended up just tasting of dried meat with no zing. There's a butcher who makes it in the next state over, when I pass through on a hunting trip and he's open I always grab some. That's my bench mark
What I am reading it is preferred to make with an animal that has more fat than a deer.

Last edited:
Back