bipod on rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a new 308 rifle I want to sight in.I have a bipod on it now to use at the range with a rear bag for the butt stock.If I take off the bipod in order to hunt with will that change the way my rifle will shoot?Will the point of impact be different and have to re-sight my rifle in again?

It shouldn’t if your barrel is free floated. If your stock has a lot of flex, like many cheaper plastic stocks do today, then it is possible.

I had it built by DAVID WHITE in Oklahoma and he bedded the fore end with the barrel and I put a new Boyds t/h pepper gray stock,so it feels rather stable.Thanks

Shoot the rifle in the position you will be hunting from, if your form is not correct you can have different groups due the head position, cheek Weld, how you shoulder the rifle, etc. Prone vs seated or out of a blind window, ....practice each

I made that mistake on my first modern muzzleloader hunt. I sighted in on the bench with bags, and then added a bipod and went hunting. I missed a nice buck the first day. I went back to camp and sighted in, and I was 12" off. I was lucky, and got a nicer buck the last day. Practice shooting from sitting position (assuming you bipod is high enough) because the more you shoot off it, the better you'll shoot. With practice, I shoot almost as well off the bipod as off the bench. Where I hunt, I can almost never shoot prone because of the grass.

Shoot the rifle in the position you will be hunting from, if your form is not correct you can have different groups due the head position, cheek Weld, how you shoulder the rifle, etc. Prone vs seated or out of a blind window, ....practice each
Agree 💯 test test and more test noting poi changes. Then remember it all or add to the dope sheet. Shoot as consistently as possible in all positions. Soon you will be a sniper. :2cool:

I think it depends on what range you expect to shoot out to.
For myself, I never shot a deer much past 100 yards.
I sight in my rifles and crossbow off the bench but hunt from treestand or sitting on the ground.
Never considered a change in the way my hunting tools would shoot.
I don't miss a shot very often.

Bipods, slings, even your hand's position under the forearm can shift point of impact.

PRACTICE. PRACTICE. PRACTICE.

The same way you would as if you were hunting. If you practice in the dead of summer, SUCK IT UP, and put on the very clothes that you plan to hunt in. Otherwise, your body's position in relationship to the rifle, and the EXACT ANGLE it will be held at will differ greatly from when you are wearing cool/cold season clothes.

And, the rifle will be held differently, the barrel will oscillate differently, and the bullet will end up in a different place than when you are wearing a T-shirt & shorts.

Latest posts

Back