Bipod users

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
To those who own and shoot target or hunting from a bipod, what your preferred vertical height from the bottom of the forearm to the surface (floor, ground, etc.) when shooting PRONE ?

Never had one on a front stuffer, but on the CF rifles I have shot, I preferred 6"-8" including mount

This morning shot from a table, and used a bipod for the front rest. Distance from the bottom of the forearm to the table was a tad less than 8". Legs could go no shorter. Probably would have set legs shorter if possible.

Shooting prone at targets is kinda hard on an older fella. One has to figure how to get up to reload between every single shot.

Can't recall ever shooting with the legs set short when prone, whilst hunting. Have definitely shot with longer legs when hunting, depending on terrain.

This would greatly depend on the shooters personal size. And if shooting off rear bag or elbows.
Most prone shooting would be done with a 9 -13 bipod.

The 6-9 typically would be for bench shooting.

This would greatly depend on the shooters personal size. And if shooting off rear bag or elbows.
Most prone shooting would be done with a 9 -13 bipod.
Was wondering how long it would take ;)
Although there's a huge difference in leg angles, its why I was looking more for the VERTICAL distance from the forearm to the floor shooting prone.

Side note.
Most classes at nmlra require wooden cross sticks in prone position.

Varies alittle but mostly wooden sticks

Was wondering how long it would take ;)
Although there's a huge difference in leg angles, its why I was looking more for the VERTICAL distance from the forearm to the floor shooting prone.
I'd say I'm about 11" shooting prone off my hand

I have no opinion about this, but it looks like a flexible solution for several applications. It also looks easy to replicate for much less than the listed price, as well as something that could be modified in design to work on a variety of surfaces.

https://shilohrifle.com/shooting-supplies/prone-shooting-sticks-22/
I'm all set for shooting sticks having made my own to the standards I found online, but have never used them. Knee issues would likely prevent me from making the time limits in competition at Friendship. Speaking of Friendship, with all this virus stuff going on, I've already ruled all that out this year, sadly. I really wanted to make Bob's May match, but that is no longer possible.

IMG_0868.JPG

Latest posts

Back