Birds & Bears

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
So... its time to replace the "bear proof" feeder pole. I head in to town to pick up the last couple things I needed for my "new invention pole" and rather it was TSC or Home Depot, people were bitching about bears.

One lady heard me talking at TSC and said, "You must be from Hubbard Lake". LOL
I didn't ask were she lived, but she said they have twelve (12) different bears in their yard! Clearly if someone has that many bear in one location or property, there are just to many.

Anyway, I'm trying something new with mine, hoping to clean it up and look more presentable, easier to fill the feeders, yet still keep Yogi and BooBoo away.

Rather this will work or not has yet to be proven. There is about 150' of electric fence wire total but...…….. its hooked up to a 50 MILE charger!

I can get to the peanut butter feeders and suet feeders from standing on the ground now. No more climbing into the back of the Gator to let down feeders. All can be done from standing on the ground now.

IMG_1647.JPG

Did get one photo of the old doe with the new twins crossing the back yard ;)

STC_0321.JPG

Via photographic evidence, the new contraption evidently keeps bears from the feeders. The peanut butter feeders are within easy reach for a bear. Last night we had a "raider" come through and the feeder pole and all the feeders are fine. However, a bird house with chickadees in it and an oriole feeder didn't fare so well. The oriole feeder is already back up and I can repair the birdhouse. Can't do anything for the chickadee family that had possession.
The old sow must have gotten ZAPPED. ;)

STC_0367.JPG

STC_0368.JPG

From one of the other cameras. She was on her way to the house/feeders....

STC_0146.JPG

Last edited:
A bear just decided that he was going to raid our feeders at 9:15pm. HA!
The wife and I watched him get his ass ZIPPED!!! He touched that wire and took off like someone stabbed him in the ass with a red hot fork! Ha Ha. :dance:

George 2, bears 0

Game camera may have caught it. I'll know in the morning.

Haha thats pretty awesome! Proud moment for you i bet seeing your contraption work.

Haha thats pretty awesome! Proud moment for you i bet seeing your contraption work.
Sure was a moment and proof. Wife and I both watched him touch that wire. He ran about 40yds like he was on FIRE! Stopped looked back at the contraption and then off on a run he went. He won't bother that again. :)

Back